The Student Room Group

BY5 Revision - WJEC

Just thought I'd make a thread for everyone doing BY5 on friday to help eachother out on areas they are stuck with! There's so much info on this module and it's all boring!

Any revision tips? Just nothing seems to be working for me, I need a B aswel! :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Heya. I'm retaking this exam.

I agree it's seriously dull and boring so much on inheritance and genetics makes me want to put a gun to my head.

Revision tips:
1. go over the past papers (only 2 or 3 though) and make sure you know what WJEC expects you to write i.e. specific wording. Check your answers with the mark-schemes
2. I've been using my computer to make my revision notes - really bright and colourful with pictures (I LOVE pictures :biggrin: ) ordered things such as definitions, processes.
3. Use the Teachers guide rather than the student specification to make sure you know EXACTLY what you are meant to in each unit.

Main tip is too relax - don't get stressed out and go into the exam with a clear head. Good luck!!
Reply 2
the inheritance topic is the hardest for me, as is protain synthesis, I just hope it clicks by friday thanks for the tips! :smile: Good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by RyanAntony
the inheritance topic is the hardest for me, as is protain synthesis, I just hope it clicks by friday thanks for the tips! :smile: Good luck!

Thank you. You too! :smile:
Reply 4
I am gonna die on Friday xD
Ok maybe exaggerating a bit but I only have the opportunity to revise after today -.-
Reply 5
Original post by xcoral23

3. Use the Teachers guide rather than the student specification to make sure you know EXACTLY what you are meant to in each unit.

Couldn't agree more with this. I did this for the BY2 resit and have never felt so good about an exam. But BY5 is just insane, there's so much to learn and I find it very tedious revising units I have zero interest in, like the plants, and pretty much the whole of 5.7 and 5.8 :L
Reply 6
Original post by sjbdbz
Couldn't agree more with this. I did this for the BY2 resit and have never felt so good about an exam. But BY5 is just insane, there's so much to learn and I find it very tedious revising units I have zero interest in, like the plants, and pretty much the whole of 5.7 and 5.8 :L

I did the same for BY2 and like you said I was much more confident in my exam than any of the others I have sat for Biology.

BY5 is insane! It is sooooooo boring. I don't have much interest in most of it either because it seems more about Geography than biology.

And it drags on and on and on. The only decent module is sexual reproduction in humans :biggrin: I'm leaving the revision for this last because I know I will have more enthusiasm for it lol

Inheritance/applications of genetics is KILLING me it's my last exam too and I'm really struggling to find the motivation.
Reply 7
I know, my attention span is appauling :L However, I think I've covered everything and just need fine tuning on most things now. I've even resorted to sexual mnemonics just to keep me occupied... ie:
geographic isolation leads to allopatric speciation, geog and allo sounds a bit like gigolo...
:colone:
Seminal vesicles look like Marge Simpson's hair.
Reply 9
Original post by sjbdbz
I know, my attention span is appauling :L However, I think I've covered everything and just need fine tuning on most things now. I've even resorted to sexual mnemonics just to keep me occupied... ie:
geographic isolation leads to allopatric speciation, geog and allo sounds a bit like gigolo...
:colone:

LOL!

I have nothing further to add to this comment. :colone:
Reply 10
I found BY4 content harder than this tbh.
Reply 11
Does watching Gattaca count as revision? Really should not have tried to cram all my revision starting today..
Reply 12
Original post by XO*
I found BY4 content harder than this tbh.

I agree for the majority of it, maybe on par with some of the genetics. However there wasn't THAT much to learn, and the photosynthesis/respiration ETC was very similar. Did you find the BY5 mocks surprisingly easy? As that seemed to be the general verdict... Racks of marks for just labelling :wink: And I'd bet my left testacle there'd be a big mark labeling/diagram on Friday too.
Reply 13
Hmmmm, from what I have noticed that whole last topic hasn't seemed to have come up in any of the BY5 papers. (Please correct me if I am wrong.)

Could this be a possible recurrence similar to how the multiple paragraphs in BY2 on Darwinism and environmental factors were irrelevant as they have never come up in any paper.
Reply 14
Original post by XO*
Hmmmm, from what I have noticed that whole last topic hasn't seemed to have come up in any of the BY5 papers. (Please correct me if I am wrong.)

Could this be a possible recurrence similar to how the multiple paragraphs in BY2 on Darwinism and environmental factors were irrelevant as they have never come up in any paper.

There have only been a few years for BY5, but yes it hasn't come up yet (atleast not in any major marked questions)

I think it's unreasonable to say something is definitely not going to or definitely going to come up - anything could come up..

Which makes me even more stressed out that I'm so behind on revision and just cramming at the moment I can't decide what the most important bits to revise are (obviously the whole exam lol)

I usually find that everything I don't revise in detail or miss comes up (probably just insanely bad luck though)

The semi good thing about this exam is that on some parts it's common sense i.e. effects of deforestation ect which is why i'm concentrating on inheritance/genetics/reproduction/protein synthesis :smile:

overall I am pooooooooping this exam though. You?
Reply 15
Original post by xcoral23
There have only been a few years for BY5, but yes it hasn't come up yet (atleast not in any major marked questions)

I think it's unreasonable to say something is definitely not going to or definitely going to come up - anything could come up..

Which makes me even more stressed out that I'm so behind on revision and just cramming at the moment I can't decide what the most important bits to revise are (obviously the whole exam lol)

I usually find that everything I don't revise in detail or miss comes up (probably just insanely bad luck though)

The semi good thing about this exam is that on some parts it's common sense i.e. effects of deforestation ect which is why i'm concentrating on inheritance/genetics/reproduction/protein synthesis :smile:

overall I am pooooooooping this exam though. You?

Was just something I noticed. In no way did I say it will or won't come up.
I am sh1tting myself.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by XO*
Was just something I noticed. In no way did I say it will or won't come up.
I am sh1tting myself.

That part wasn't aimed specifically at you it was just an overview of what everyone else has been saying :smile:

Are you well prepared? Is this your first time sitting it?

P.s. Good luck :smile:
Chi-squared test again? Was in June 10.
Reply 18
aa also sitting this tomorrow good luck everyone, I have a maths exam as well tomorrow so i might actually die..... o god there is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooo much to know its rediculose its not hard to understand it is a memory game :frown: And i dont have time grrrrrr.

Sorry rant over. As others has said sadly i thing anything could come up because there has only been a couple of pass papers .
The list is actually endless of things that could come up :unimpressed:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending