The Student Room Group

BY5 Revision - WJEC

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thelooby94
Yeah fertilisation and the acrosome stuff :smile:
But hasn't sperrmatogenesis been on the past and only two papers? That's why I think they'll switch it to oogenesis, it's slightly harder

Ah I suppose. I like oogenesis anyway so I'm not too bothered. :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5360
Reply 41
Going to cram for this :/ , haven't looked at Biology in weeks .

Can someone go over oogenisis , I remember getting all confused when it got to the ovum / egg being released and the guide doesn't really explain it too well.
Reply 42
Original post by WildBerry

Can someone go over oogenisis , I remember getting all confused when it got to the ovum / egg being released and the guide doesn't really explain it too well.

Oogonia divides by mitosis - Primary oocytes.

Primary oocytes start first meiotic division but stop at prophase 1.

Germinal epithelium divides into follicles, surround primary oocytes forming primary follicles.

Each month a follicle matures and develops into a Graafian follicle.

Primary oocyte (inside follicle) finishes meiotic division, forming - secondary oocyte.

During Ovulation mature Graafian follice migrates to the ovary surface and bursts releasing the secondary oocyte.

Secondary oocyte undergoes second meiotic division but stops at metaphase unless fertilisation has taken place.
Original post by WildBerry

Pre-birth: Germinal epithelium divides mitotically many times to produce diploid oogonia. Oogonia divide mitotically into diploid primary oocytes which begin to divide meiotically but arrested during prophase 1. Also, the germinal epithelium divides to produce many follicle cells which surround the primary oocytes.

Puberty: Onset of puberty brings about hormones which induces the primary oocytes to complete meiosis 1 and produce haploid secondary oocytes. These continue with the second meiotic division but arrested at metaphase 2 until fertilisation. Hormones also induce follicle cells to develop further and each month a fully developed Graafian follicle cell (which surroinds the secondary oocyte) is released during ovulation.

Fertilisation: Secondary oocyte released from ovary during ovulation. Oocyte is fertilised in the fallopian tube where once contacted by the sperm becomes an ovum.
(edited 11 years ago)
All the oogenisis stuff helped so much!! How in depth do we need to know the development of the follicle do we need to know the names of the sections like zona pellucida??
Reply 45
Original post by FamousLastWords
All the oogenisis stuff helped so much!! How in depth do we need to know the development of the follicle do we need to know the names of the sections like zona pellucida??

Zona Pellucida comes up in fertilisation so you do have to know it (the acrosome reaction happens when the sperm makes contact with it). I'm not sure if you have to know the Antrum, Granulosa cells and whatever else there is :s-smilie: I guess they could ask you to identify stuff on a diagram/microscope photo?
Reply 46
There is so much to learn about plants! :lolwut:
Original post by AmberCD
Zona Pellucida comes up in fertilisation so you do have to know it (the acrosome reaction happens when the sperm makes contact with it). I'm not sure if you have to know the Antrum, Granulosa cells and whatever else there is :s-smilie: I guess they could ask you to identify stuff on a diagram/microscope photo?

Thankyou! just gone over it for what feels like the billionth time - should hopefully stick!! :biggrin:
Reply 48
Original post by Nerdatious
There is so much to learn about plants! :lolwut:

I hate plants. So. So. Much.

All we need to know about follicles is the stuff I mentioned above and also that during fertilisation, a hormone (hCG) stops the Graafian follicle degenerating into a corpus luteum as it protects the embryo.

The names of the sections come up mainly in the acrosome reaction e.g. when the sperm contacts the corona radiata this ruptures the acrosome membrane and releases protease enzymes which digest the zona pellucida layer.
Original post by lee_vassallo
All we need to know about follicles is the stuff I mentioned above and also that during fertilisation, a hormone (hCG) stops the Graafian follicle degenerating into a corpus luteum as it protects the embryo.

The names of the sections come up mainly in the acrosome reaction e.g. when the sperm contacts the corona radiata this ruptures the acrosome membrane and releases protease enzymes which digest the zona pellucida layer.

Awesome :smile: I seriously hate BY5 at the moment... its so boring :boring:
Reply 51
Original post by AmberCD
I hate plants. So. So. Much.

I do now. :unimpressed:
Awesome :smile: I seriously hate BY5 at the moment... its so boring :boring:

Agreed. Last exam?
Reply 53
Guys any predictions on the beasty 10 marker at the end?
Would love a 10 marker on protein synthesis. Or one on fertilisation of plants, but that happened last year I think.
Agreed. Last exam?

Yes thankfully!! You?
Yes thankfully!! You?

I can treat it like it is because its only general studies i've got on monday :tongue: At least no more revision anyway!
I can treat it like it is because its only general studies i've got on monday :tongue: At least no more revision anyway!

Our college doesn't have that as an option, I don't understand why its something that uni's seem to not include in offers?! Its weird...

Good luck for tomorrow and I really hope we get some decent questions to answer haa!!
Our college doesn't have that as an option, I don't understand why its something that uni's seem to not include in offers?! Its weird...

Good luck for tomorrow and I really hope we get some decent questions to answer haa!!

Here's to a nice exam. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 59
according to this

http://www.wjec.co.uk/uploads/publications/12618.pdf

We only need to know spermatogenesis in word form, oogenesis we just have to be able to intepret from a given diagram.

However i hope the essay is gonna be either on Protein Synthesis (saving the labelling the diagram for female reproductive/oogenesis, as they surely cant ask us to label another guys penis then inside his testicle, again!)

However I recently bought the two new revision books made by the WJEC (releae last month) and they have various poitners and tips on the side, as well as various past paper questions, one of the tips was, consider an essay entitled:`what are endangered species? Discuss the reasons why some species become endangered. Discuss ways in which species can be conserved for future generations`

I've done some bullet points on that topic, just in case :wink: but i must admit, most of my revision for th elast topic as been a very very brief read over

Good luck everyone!

EDIT: I would be doing some more revision right now, but all that's in my head atm is;

(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending