Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Opinions on Canoeing or Kayaking?

Announcements Posted on
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I want to start doing another sport at uni and the other day I happened to see some people kayaking on a river near where I stay, it kind of caught my eye and looked fun. I know my uni has a canoe/kayak club that welcomes beginners but I'm wondering if anyone who does this sport can tell me a bit about it, is it dangerous at all? Or is it really hard to get to grips with? I do some aerial sports so I've got a little bit of arm/upper body strength already, is this needed much?

Thanks for any info
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Firstly Iam not a uni student but; both of these sports are mainly skill based as the strokes and techniques used can be quite tricky to get to grips with. but if you have good enough fitness you should be able to keep practicing until u get the hand of them. Danger: this club should that you through a BCU qualification if they welcome beginners but even if they don't they will have to teach you rescues and capsize drills so dw about that.

and have fun

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nsampson)
    Firstly Iam not a uni student but; both of these sports are mainly skill based as the strokes and techniques used can be quite tricky to get to grips with. but if you have good enough fitness you should be able to keep practicing until u get the hand of them. Danger: this club should that you through a BCU qualification if they welcome beginners but even if they don't they will have to teach you rescues and capsize drills so dw about that.

and have fun

Thank you very much it does mention something about a BCU on the page for it!
    Thanks again

• 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's brilliant fun!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Kayaking is awesome!! Definitely give it a go. Theres loads of different styles to go into. From playboating where you can do tricks to pleasant paddles around a calm lake. If you have qualified instructors you'll be more than fine but of cause with any sport there are risks but if you're responsible it'll be fine. You'll have a buoyancy aid and most likely a wetsuit and kag. Its a fun sport that I find good for relaxing and having fun. You should YouTube playboating if you don't know what it is. Its just plain awesome :-)

Oh and you don't need that much strength, kids can do it. Obviously the skills come with practice and you need more strength depending what you're doing

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my ST18i
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I love paddling. I have gotten my BCU 2* award, and I'm looking to start coaching.

I did three weeks last summer, one week river kayaking, one week sea kayaking, and one week in a canadian canoe, and enjoyed all of them!

If you are going to a recognized club, that holds BCU recognition, you have got absoloutely nothing to worry about, so long as you listen carefully to your instructor, and you go at the pace they set... If you try to run before you can walk, you might put yourself off!

Also, when it comes to dangers, the worst thing you can do is panic. If you capsize, which everyone does eventually, the main thing is to keep calm. Experienced paddlers will know how to help you, and more often than not, if you're paddling with an instructor, you will learn how to right yourself without exiting your canoe!

It's a fantastic sport, one well worth trying.

Have fun, best of luck!

LB
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LSD)
    Hi

I want to start doing another sport at uni and the other day I happened to see some people kayaking on a river near where I stay, it kind of caught my eye and looked fun. I know my uni has a canoe/kayak club that welcomes beginners but I'm wondering if anyone who does this sport can tell me a bit about it, is it dangerous at all? Or is it really hard to get to grips with? I do some aerial sports so I've got a little bit of arm/upper body strength already, is this needed much?

Thanks for any info
    Kayaking definitely!!! I've been kayaking twice and it's so much fun. I hope to do it when I go to uni this September, and anyone can do it really. It's not really dangerous - the only thing is drowning, but that doesnt happen because when you accidently flip the kayak from too much steering in one direction and you are under the water you just relax and you fall out automatically. Or you would have learned to roll over the kayak while being inside, and you would have a water guard thing that won't let water in (when performing the roll)
    I find canoeing not as exciting, especially if another person is with you - slows me down lol

Sent from le me via HTC Desire S
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am an experienced Kayak and I can tell you it is a great sport, you may find the first few sessions boring, but after that when you start treading bigger waters you will love it. The key to this sport is water confidence, however not being over confident as that is when it can get a bit risky.

It is a safe sport, if you paddle in 3's or more, with people who have experience on the river that you are paddling or people who can read a river well. Once you can roll, you can basically do what you like, within confidence and reason, I have paddled grade 4 and find that stretch's me to my limits, beside grade 5/6 are basically suicide. A good place to also go is tees barrage/holme pier point, these are courses that are designed for slalom, which is a discipline of Kayaking, however you can kayak on it for fun if you have you BCU 3* and there is no event running.

You can also "Kayak surf" which is effectively surfing in a kayak, I love this as you can play about in the waves and it gives you confidence to do stuff you would not have tried before, however you will also need to be able to roll to do this.

If you are seriously looking at it, I would advise to go along and give it ago and stick it out a few weeks until you have paddled a few rivers with some decent size rapids, that is when you get the adrenalin rush and know whether you like it or not.

I want to go to a Scottish uni in a hope to paddle some of the bigger Scottish rivers.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 20, 2012
New on TSR

Single, dating or in a relationship?

Chat about your life and loves in our Relationships forum!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.