The Student Room Group

Does it worth going for a graduate job?

I was wondering which advantages do I get in getting a graduate job position rather than just a normal job?

The graduate salary doesn't look to be much different from a salary for someone that it just starting in a small company or so.

Or after three years working as a graduate that experience is going to be an advantage in my CV and my salary will significantly improve?
A graduate job is any job that is only open to recent graduates, with the key advantage I suppose being that you aren't competing with already experienced professionals in that field.

Other than that there is absolutely nothing special about a graduate job. They're often just jobs that would have been done by school leavers, but have "graduate" tacked on before it and are now open only to graduates.
Reply 2
I think it depends if you go onto a graduate scheme or a "graduate" job on a job board.

Graduate schemes are certainly worth trying to get onto in my opinion.
Reply 3
I have been doing the rounds of graduate schemes interviews this year and I would say yes, they are worth trying to get onto - but they aren't the only option.
I have been lucky enough to get a couple of offers but I am still going to have a look at as I call them 'real' jobs too. there is no harm, and to be honest the graduate scheme recruitment process has really helped me with my interview technique and teamwork etc...something you will need in future life anyway!
Reply 4
I started looking for jobs, and if I want to go a big/good company in my field the only chance I have is to apply for a graduate scheme. Due to all no graduate jobs they ask for a minimum of 3 year experience in the field, which obviously I don't have.

So I was thinking in get onto a graduate scheme, for 3 years, get some experience and then move to other company or job. By that time I could already present 3 years experience.
Reply 5
Original post by wdreamer
I started looking for jobs, and if I want to go a big/good company in my field the only chance I have is to apply for a graduate scheme. Due to all no graduate jobs they ask for a minimum of 3 year experience in the field, which obviously I don't have.

So I was thinking in get onto a graduate scheme, for 3 years, get some experience and then move to other company or job. By that time I could already present 3 years experience.

Um, the obvious thing to do is to just go self-employed doing whatever you want to do, make a success of it, and go on from there. I really can't understand why people are so keen to slave away for a thousand a month, I'd literally rather starve to death.
Reply 6
Original post by old glory
Um, the obvious thing to do is to just go self-employed doing whatever you want to do, make a success of it, and go on from there. I really can't understand why people are so keen to slave away for a thousand a month, I'd literally rather starve to death.

Literally? Impressive.
Original post by Procerus
I think it depends if you go onto a graduate scheme or a "graduate" job on a job board.

Graduate schemes are certainly worth trying to get onto in my opinion.

I agree with this. A lot of the time these days there are jobs that ask for you to have a degree that are just taking advantage of the tight job market, offering £16k a year for basic admin.

A graduate scheme is one where they are actually trying to train the leaders of the future of the company, so they have a defined career path that will be made clear to you in the adverts and recruitment process.

What sets a grad scheme apart from non grad schemes is the career progression. On a grad scheme you will be working towards a goal of promotion, possibly doing a professional qualification, so 4 or 5 years down the line if you are good at your job you will be going somewhere. A lot of non grad schemes just have no real options for progress, they aren't investing in training you or anything they just want a graduate to fill a job for the here and now and if you do the job well then good for you and they will be pleased with you, but they won't necessarily have anywhere for you to go.

Now grad jobs are often hard work and have a lot of hours so in the first few years they can seem not great pay, but having graduated in 2007 I can see a difference in people I know between those that got grad jobs and those that didn't, ie those that got grad jobs are now starting to be on jobs paying £35k, £45k etc, whereas those that didn't (and still haven't) are more on the £17k, £21k bracket.
Reply 8
There are no jobs.
Reply 9
Original post by IRL
There are no jobs.

WHAT? How will we buy the beans?!
Reply 10
Original post by M1011
WHAT? How will we buy the beans?!

If you think the only way to acquire things is through money/spending then you are ****ing retarded.

P.S. You don't need to buy beans. It's a typical thing for city slickers to stock up on in times of preparedness for a disaster or event which may shake the economical or political system they rely on to secure their needs.

Obviously, there are other ways to meet caloric needs. Unfortunately many people who frequent this website think they need to stockpile beans/other canned food.
Reply 11
Original post by MagicNMedicine
I agree with this. A lot of the time these days there are jobs that ask for you to have a degree that are just taking advantage of the tight job market, offering £16k a year for basic admin.

A graduate scheme is one where they are actually trying to train the leaders of the future of the company, so they have a defined career path that will be made clear to you in the adverts and recruitment process.

What sets a grad scheme apart from non grad schemes is the career progression. On a grad scheme you will be working towards a goal of promotion, possibly doing a professional qualification, so 4 or 5 years down the line if you are good at your job you will be going somewhere. A lot of non grad schemes just have no real options for progress, they aren't investing in training you or anything they just want a graduate to fill a job for the here and now and if you do the job well then good for you and they will be pleased with you, but they won't necessarily have anywhere for you to go.

Now grad jobs are often hard work and have a lot of hours so in the first few years they can seem not great pay, but having graduated in 2007 I can see a difference in people I know between those that got grad jobs and those that didn't, ie those that got grad jobs are now starting to be on jobs paying £35k, £45k etc, whereas those that didn't (and still haven't) are more on the £17k, £21k bracket.

Thanks!! Great reply. I'm looking for start a careers and progression in a long-term so perhaps a graduate scheme is what I am looking for then.

I have realised that graduate schemes are very competitive and for some fields, hard to get into. But still.

thanks for all replies, it really helped me.
Reply 12
Original post by M1011
Literally? Impressive.

Yep literally literally. As in, the literal meaning of that phrase was what I meant.

Ofc, I haven't yet been in a position to starve to death, so that hasn't been put to the test.
Reply 13
Original post by old glory
Yep literally literally. As in, the literal meaning of that phrase was what I meant.

Ofc, I haven't yet been in a position to starve to death, so that hasn't been put to the test.

Ah, well FYI, you're literally wrong :tongue:
The bonus of tight economic conditions is that e'ers aren't forced to take on grads who can't write grammatical sentences.
Surviving the double-dip by jumping into the warm bosom of academia has a lot going for it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending