The Student Room Group

Law Applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zedd
As I vaguely remember from my first UCAS applications a few years back, can you not apply to, say, 2 uni's and then at a later date add an additional 3?

Yeah you can, I think it'll cost you more though.
Reply 81
Original post by Defragmentation

I imagine if it keeps applications to certain uni's on the down-low then it's worth it.
Reply 82
Original post by emanuela15
Not too sure how they'd know you're an Oxford applicant since unis can't see what other unis you apply to! Unless you'd get asked in interview, I suppose?

I'm not exactly sure about this either, but I heard that they don't like being used as a "backup" for Oxbridge. Defensive admission, I guess.... but now that you mention it, I don't know how they would be able to discriminate. Does anyone know why these rumors began in the first place??
Reply 83
Original post by Defragmentation

It'll cost more if you apply for more than one uni so it makes no difference if you apply for two unis early on and then add another three since you'll be paying £23 when you first apply anyways.
Reply 84
Original post by kavue
I'm not exactly sure about this either, but I heard that they don't like being used as a "backup" for Oxbridge. Defensive admission, I guess.... but now that you mention it, I don't know how they would be able to discriminate. Does anyone know why these rumors began in the first place??

They likely began when unis still saw your ranking of them (1 to 5) and admissions tutors at places like LSE and Durham, who also had a reputation for turning down successful Oxbridge candidates, presumably got sniffy at being anything less than number 1.

I think mine was the second year where they have no clue as to the rest of your UCAS form so they've persisted for a long time now.
Reply 85
Give me your negative rep please!
Reply 86
Hi guys,
I'm hoping to study law pending on grade results!
Looking at Newcastle as my first choice followed by Birmingham, Manchester and then if all goes to pot Uclan!
Really stuck on a 5th option though and not really looking at Oxbridge or London due to expense - any suggestions?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 87
Original post by Ellesse
Hi guys,
I'm hoping to study law pending on grade results!
Looking at Newcastle as my first choice followed by Birmingham, Manchester and then if all goes to pot Uclan!
Really stuck on a 5th option though and not really looking at Oxbridge or London due to expense - any suggestions?

Leeds, Sheffield, Leicester, Liverpool?
Original post by Ellesse

Really stuck on a 5th option though and not really looking at Oxbridge or London due to expense -
p

If 'expenses' is the only thing deterring you from Oxbridge, I would have a rethink. They offer some of the most generous bursaries in the country, and Cambridge/Oxford do not strike me as particularly expensive cities.
Reply 89
I have looked into Liverpool and so far pthat looks like a good idea!
In response to Oxbridge after speaking to a representative that could also be a possibility - thanks guys!

Reply 90
Original post by Ellesse
I have looked into Liverpool and so far pthat looks like a good idea!
In response to Oxbridge after speaking to a representative that could also be a possibility - thanks guys!

Also UCLAN's a fair step down after all those AAA places (A* for Cam if you apply there) you might want to check out somewhere like Hull as your reserve.
Reply 91
Original post by roh
Also UCLAN's a fair step down after all those AAA places (A* for Cam if you apply there) you might want to check out somewhere like Hull as your reserve.

Yeah I thought it was best to save a lower grade option just incase all goes wrong!
Ok I'll look onto Hull - Thankyou!

Reply 92
Southampton? I remember there was a scheme where they give students lower offers if they fit certain criterias.

Either way, I understand why you want a back up university but you have to think about whether you'd really be willing to go to the university if you know you can do better- especially with the increase in fees it may be worth thinking about retaking results or reapplying.

And if you're doing more than three A-levels, some unis ignore the additional A-levels so technically AAA unis could be back ups :smile:

I remember getting an AAAD and an AAAB offer so i convinced myself that the AAAD was a back up offer :smile:
Reply 93
Original post by Conzy210
Anyone managed to get any work experience at any local firms? I must have rang about 100 firms now and no luck :frown:

I managed to get some work experience at Pinsent Masons, a solicitors firm in Manchester. I had to apply online and then they got back to me :smile:
Jesus Christ.
Well hopefully doing all that should help you limit your choices...right?

Hopefully! The open days are what should help me decide which 5 I'd be happy to be at.
Reply 95
Original post by jackclarke1995
Hopefully! The open days are what should help me decide which 5 I'd be happy to be at.

Haha you're so lucky you know, at my school you're only allowed to go on 3 per term - -
Haha you're so lucky you know, at my school you're only allowed to go on 3 per term - -

I've tried to get as many on Saturdays and when the college is closed as possible. I've had 6/20 lessons in the past two weeks and have today and tomorrow off of college, thats another 4 lessons missed, due to pre-booked things so I can't really afford to have any time off for open days.
Reply 97
Hey all! Providing I get the grades this year and next, I am hoping to apply to Birmingham, Leicester, Warwick, Nottingham, and either Bristol or Buckingham.

Out of them all I would probably firm Leicester cos it looked amazing during the open day! Just hope I get an offer haha.
Reply 98
I just got a reply from Edinburgh saying that the accelerated LL.B will be ~£9k per year so that's my firm for sure :biggrin:
Anyone going to an open day this weekend? Sheffield for me :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending