The Student Room Group

Guys, would you be put off by my love of rugby?

I've been brought up in a rugby-mad family (Welsh!), and so I know quite a lot about it and really enjoy watching it, regardless of who's playing!

One of my male flatmates has said that this is "blokey" and that he would find it a turn-off. He also said that he finds it "intimidating" that I "know what I'm talking about" and that I get "too involved" in the game :redface:

What's your opinion?
Reply 1
A little bit, I have to say. Though not because it's blokey.

But then I'm not really a sporty person. Team sport I mean- I love weight training and karate, but I hate watching football or rugby (unless it's the World Cup/Euros and my patriotic fervour gets me into it).

Plus, I personally find rugby and football incredibly monotonous. There's only a limited number of outcomes of a game- win, draw or lose, and only a limited way to achieve it. It's just dull. I don't think I could spend time with someone so passionately into something I find dull.
I think you will find a lot of guys would love that as you have an interest many of them could relate to, or it could make for some good banter if they are staunch football fans. It wouldn't make any difference to me because I am not into rugby or football.
Reply 3
I wouldn't mind being Rugby tackled! :tongue:

Seriously though, you shouldn't be worried about having a passion of Rugby. I have female friends who love Football and are very knowledgeable about it. They have partners and boy friends. So there's no reason why you can't!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Nope, unless you talked about it all the time, but I don't suppose you do.
Original post by Anonymous
He also said that he finds it "intimidating" that I "know what I'm talking about"

He's probably not doing it consciously out of any sort of meanness, but that's a pretty sexist attitude. The implication here is that he expects women to be ignorant of things that are seen as traditionally male pursuits.

Anyway. I'd think it was a good thing. I don't have a great deal of interest in women who restrict themselves to stereotypically feminine pursuits, and I enjoy watching rugby, so there's nothing not to like. I have an ex-girlfriend who was really keen on rugby and used to play it - we were able to watch and talk about the World Cup together.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
I've been brought up in a rugby-mad family (Welsh!), and so I know quite a lot about it and really enjoy watching it, regardless of who's playing!

One of my male flatmates has said that this is "blokey" and that he would find it a turn-off. He also said that he finds it "intimidating" that I "know what I'm talking about" and that I get "too involved" in the game :redface:

What's your opinion?

I would like it, I'm an avid football fan anyway and love my sports, could help me get into rugby.
I'm not into rugby myself but I like it when girls have genuine interests in stuff.
Reply 8
I'd prefer it if you love basketball instead :wink:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending