The Student Room Group

Type 1/2 errors ....

Okay...this is going to sound a bit wierd but my psychology teacher told me that that AQA A2 pshychology book has a lot of mistakes and that its been 'rushed', i also noticed that he suggested that type 1 error is where we accept the null hypothesis when infact there is no relationship where as the AQA book says a type 1 error is where we reject the null hypothesis when infact there is no relationship and vice versa for type 2 errors....he is quite adamant that hes right but he tends to be rather big headed etc so i was wondering if any of you guys could help?

And could anyone explain to me why a 0.01% significance level would result in a type 2 error?

thanks for your help!
Reply 1
As far as I am aware, a Type 1 error is where we reject the null hypothesis when in fact it is actually true, and a Type 2 error would be when we accept the null hypothesis when it is actually false.

I'm not entirely sure about the 0.01% significance level, but I would assume that it is more likely to result in a Type 2 error because at a 0.01% significance level it would require much stronger statistical evidence in order to reject the null hypothesis (because it's set at a low value in order to try to avoid making a Type 1 error).

Hope that helps. :smile:
Original post by Liv1204
As far as I am aware, a Type 1 error is where we reject the null hypothesis when in fact it is actually true, and a Type 2 error would be when we accept the null hypothesis when it is actually false.

This is correct.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending