The Student Room Group

Waiting for degree classification..again!

Just recently graduated with an MChem from Edinburgh. Was slightly disappointed to discover that I received a 2.2. Not entirely unexpected due to a barrage of bad exam results in my 4th year. Upon receiving the breakdown of marks I worked out my average grade at 58.3%, during a conversation with a member of staff regarding the result I discovered that my results had been tallied incorrectly due to a computer error and the board of examiners was presented with 57.8%, meaning that the board of examiners hadn't considered my case as a borderline with the possibility of being bumped up a grade. Credit where its due upon the discovery the department was quick to tackle the issue and now my final year project and exam scripts have been resubmitted to the board of examiners for reassessment. Given that my final year results were some of my best ever (avg 65% for the year), what are my chances in peoples opinion? I've read a little bit about "exit velocity" and that they tend to put more weight on latter year results, but I'm still very unsure about how rigid the rules are for bumping up a grade in borderline cases. I likely won't hear the results until after my ceremony. The wait is killing me!
Cheers
T
I think it's promising that the uni has at least accepted their mistake and is reconsidering your case, and who knows, perhaps they will find some 'extra marks' during the reassessment of your work - considering you are a borderline case and the fact they could not calculate your average correctly.

I would also have a look at your universities policy on preponderance; this may give you some reassurance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending