The Student Room Group

The best part of studying mathematics

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thomaskurian89
I googled "clunge", but still don't understand what that phrase means. Could someone enlighten me?

female genitals
Reply 21
Original post by mikeyd85
Fanny, pussy, gash, axe wound, the path beneath the lady garden...

I know that. But why "pick of the ...", and how is that phrase an appropriate response to this thread?
it was probably the best response to an obnoxious question
Reply 23
Statistically physics students have, on average, an IQ of 1 more than mathematics students, closely followed by chemists. I can't recall the specific study, but it was quite thorough.

Then again, as anyone intelligent would realise, an attempt to measure IQ requires a definition of intelligence, and that's a very subjective matter - Which makes any quantitative analysis of intelligence pretty much invalid.
Original post by thomaskurian89
I know that. But why "pick of the ...", and how is that phrase an appropriate response to this thread?

Pick of the clunge means you get to pick from all the girls which one you want because mathmatical ability is so highly revered by women.

I'm pretty sure it's sarcastic.
Reply 25
Original post by mikeyd85
Pick of the clunge means you get to pick from all the girls which one you want because mathmatical ability is so highly revered by women.

I'm pretty sure it's sarcastic.

Haha thanks. :biggrin:
Original post by kingkongjaffa
I don't it was a humorous assumption that possibly the greatest mind of the last 50 is smarter than your average bear.

also hawking is a physicist. It's just that physics has become very mathematical.
Original post by theandyguthrie
also hawking is a physicist. It's just that physics has become very mathematical.

He was a professor of mathematics at Cambridge though too.
Indeed, there is a large cross-over between physics and maths (especially more theoretical physics). I imagine a lot of uni professors in either field probably have dabbled in the other, just seems that the subjects attract people with similar mentalities (and of course they require similar skillsets).
I'd say that's a bad thing :frown:

I love maths, but 99% of the population can't understand why. Typical responses;

1. You're a mathematician. Why can't you work out 3456x74553 quickly in your head?
2. Do you just look at graphs and stuff all day? That must be really boring.
3. I hated maths at school.
4. Ooh, that's way over my head. *implied* You're trying to make out you're cleverer than me. You can't genuinely find that interesting.

It's a fundamental misunderstanding most people have - arithmetic to real maths is like spelling is to reading a book. I think it's a real shame so many people are put off maths before they get to the reading a book stage.

Even other mathematicians are hard to talk to about maths, due partly to the intense competitiveness of it, partly the fact that at undergraduate level it's hard to come up with your own ideas, and partly because it takes time to get your head around an idea, that can't really happen during a conversation.

Maths is a wonderful subject, but very lonely.
Reply 30
Original post by In One Ear
Indeed, there is a large cross-over between physics and maths (especially more theoretical physics). I imagine a lot of uni professors in either field probably have dabbled in the other, just seems that the subjects attract people with similar mentalities (and of course they require similar skillsets).

To the contrary:

"This reflects the large cultural divide between the disciplines of physics and mathematics, and as string theory blurs their borders, the vast differences in language, methods, and styles of each field become increasingly apparent. Physicists are more like avant-garde composers, willing to bend traditional rules and brush the edge of acceptability in the search for solutions. Mathematicians are more like classical composers, typically working within a much tighter framework, reluctant to go to the next step until all previous ones have been established with due rigor."

-- from The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by Octohedral

Even other mathematicians are hard to talk to about maths, due partly to the intense competitiveness of it, partly the fact that at undergraduate level it's hard to come up with your own ideas, and partly because it takes time to get your head around an idea, that can't really happen during a conversation.

Bill Thurston writes well about the difficulties of communication in 'On proof and progress in mathematics' worth a read if you haven't come across it.

and you can kinda see it in action in his 2010 Clay lecture (no I don't know what all the words mean either but it doesn't matter:smile:)

[video="youtube;4jdmkUQDWtQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jdmkUQDWtQ&feature=bf_next&list=SP0767A09CF0864F8A[/video]
Original post by Octohedral
I'd say that's a bad thing :frown:

I love maths, but 99% of the population can't understand why. Typical responses;

1. You're a mathematician. Why can't you work out 3456x74553 quickly in your head?
2. Do you just look at graphs and stuff all day? That must be really boring.
3. I hated maths at school.
4. Ooh, that's way over my head. *implied* You're trying to make out you're cleverer than me. You can't genuinely find that interesting.

It's a fundamental misunderstanding most people have - arithmetic to real maths is like spelling is to reading a book. I think it's a real shame so many people are put off maths before they get to the reading a book stage.

I really liked your post and I totally agree with everything you've said. It's a shame. I always wanted someone I could talk to about the concepts I was learning about in my degree, but most people were only interested in doing the subject rather than understanding the material.

Makes me think I should do a masters somewhere higher.
Reply 33
Original post by wanderlust.xx
I really liked your post and I totally agree with everything you've said. It's a shame. I always wanted someone I could talk to about the concepts I was learning about in my degree, but most people were only interested in doing the subject rather than understanding the material.

Makes me think I should do a masters somewhere higher.

That's a real shame, talking to others and figuring out maths together was a great way to learn. I really enjoyed that during my degree.

At the undergrad level, knowing you are learning sophisticated concepts from some of the best minds of humanity was pretty humbling. In my masters thesis, coming up with a new proof of a theorem and getting fairly close to a new result. Made me get a taste of research maths.
Reply 34
Original post by Xarren
Statistically physics students have, on average, an IQ of 1 more than mathematics students, closely followed by chemists. I can't recall the specific study, but it was quite thorough.

Then again, as anyone intelligent would realise, an attempt to measure IQ requires a definition of intelligence, and that's a very subjective matter - Which makes any quantitative analysis of intelligence pretty much invalid.

I do believe it was computer scientists and not chemists...who came in third.

Quick Reply

Latest