Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

What do you think history will make of Nick Clegg?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Spineless moron.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    We're all sitting here pretending that tuition fees make a difference to the wider population. They don't. If anything, most of them want them to rise and to stop funding layabout students. I remember him saying before the election that far-left supporters would have to leave the Lib Dems eventually and that their assumption they could fit in with a Liberal party just because they were annoyed with Labour was nonsense.

I genuinely like him and I think he brings something useful to the coalition government. He's also far more reasonable and rational than the likes of Vince Cable. I hope the public come to judge him on his accomplishments rather than some silly notion that the Lib Dems were left-wing and would never go into coalition with the Tories.
    The wider public at the moment might not be that bothered about tuition fees, but in the future the wider public will be those "layabout students", the ones who he made a promise to abolish tuition fees to, then trebled them. That is going to hang over his head for the rest of his political career and beyond it.

What accomplishments? Failing to get any real liberal priorities passed? Enabling the tories to destroy the healthcare system and kill people while doing it? Enabling the tories to pass the most anti-liberal bill I have ever seen in this country (communications bill if it passes)?

That is what he will be remembered for by a lot of people, enabling Cameron and the tuition fees.
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    Never one to shrink from raising the literary tone, I offer this:
    http://drmatthewashton.com/2011/05/1...e-lost-leader/
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    as a sellout lying useless windbag.

oh wait........................
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't really think he'll be remembered very much at all. There have been approximately 71 prime ministers in British history, I doubt most people could name more than seven. Viscount Goderich, anyone? The second marquess of Rockingham? He hasn't done that much, really. We live monumentous times, what with Islamist terrorism, global warming, the shift of power from the West to the East, the digital revolution. But I don't really think Nick Clegg is particularly, erm, involved with anything in that regard. He'll get his name in a few textbooks of politicial history, sure, but I don't think that there will be much more than that.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    As a member of the generation who first experienced the 9000 pound tuition fee prices, I certainly won't forget the broken promise made by Clegg about the tuition fees. Even though some argue its better because we won't pay as much back ect ect, its just the principal of what he did. It was the breakdown of trust between young students who were not even old enough to vote, being back stabbed by someone they believed was on their side. Him and his party will always represent broken trust for me, and I will find it extremely difficult to ever vote for them in the future. At the moment, I'd rather not vote than vote for the Liberal Democrats.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The guy who failed to stop the rise in tuition fees; one of the main reasons people in our generation voted for him.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    How he will be remembered will be entirely dependent on Lib Dem performance at the next election, the long-term effects (if any) of the tuition fee rise, how bad the Conservatives seem in comparison and how successful his Lib Dem leader-successor will be. I belive in virtually all of these categories he will actually be held in fairly high esteem, once the hate over fees dies down and people relise he would've liked to stop it but as a minority leader he had to acceed to Conservative pressure. He has also held back some far-right lunatic policies of the Tories and I think quietly done a pretty good job. Too bad he made one too many promises pre-election...
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrshinyshoes)
    This, look at his happy grin

Attachment 157735
    His face just screams "YOU FOOOOLS"
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Camerons bitch.
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:
    'The Great Betrayer'

And more importantly, the fact that he thinks that 'constitutional reform' is top of the agenda for all the electorate, whilst letting more important liberal policies be swept under the rug in the coalition compromise.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    He'll be remembered by his actions; shamelessly selling out on his principles and promises for a taste of power in an attempt to capatalise on the gains he made for his party by being a very good politician and having the ear of the public.

He made promises, broke them and sent popular support for the Liberal Democrats back to neglible levels. In the months following the UK General Election, Scotland held its elections for parliament and punished the Liberal Democrats severely - to the extent that Tavish Scott was fired from his post as Lib Dem leader. I can't help but shake the feeling that they fired the wrong leader, there.

It's a shame, because the Liberal Democrats had a number of good policies and, had they stuck to their pre-election campaign promises, could have campaigned for some serious good to come about in the country. Now they're just a sad party that jumps up and down every now promising that while the Tory government is doing horrible things to the people, it would be so much worse if they weren't there to temper the policies going through.

So no, I don't think history will remember Nick Clegg very well. And I think his political career will essentially be over following this parliament.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No more of a fool than he has made of himself.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I too agree that he will be viewed as the man who didn't keep his tuition fee's promise, purely because it's something people will remember, and students especially will have a hard time forgetting.

On a side note, I think they will crash and burn in the next general election
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'll make a prediction: History will say he was forced to take very difficult decisions (such as the tuition fees) but in the end he was redeemed.

I personally don't think the Liberal Democrats are going to collapse in 2015. If Labour continue as they are I think the Lib-Dems could probably take quite a few seats off them for the simple reason that they, unlike Labour, actually have a message and can talk about policies they've been able to influence.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    One of the luckiest people to hold any power without deserving it; "abandoning" his party faithful by not sticking to fanciful manifesto promises that had been made under the assumption they'd never have to be fulfilled.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geetar)
    I don't really think he'll be remembered very much at all. There have been approximately 71 prime ministers in British history, I doubt most people could name more than seven. Viscount Goderich, anyone? The second marquess of Rockingham? He hasn't done that much, really. We live monumentous times, what with Islamist terrorism, global warming, the shift of power from the West to the East, the digital revolution. But I don't really think Nick Clegg is particularly, erm, involved with anything in that regard. He'll get his name in a few textbooks of politicial history, sure, but I don't think that there will be much more than that.
    Shamefull ignorance! Rockingham was brilliant!

But seriously, this is far and away the best reponse to this thread.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    a useless yapping lapdog.
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stanley Baldwin)
    I personally don't think the Liberal Democrats are going to collapse in 2015. If Labour continue as they are I think the Lib-Dems could probably take quite a few seats off them for the simple reason that they, unlike Labour, actually have a message and can talk about policies they've been able to influence.
    Spot on.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    History is cruel, Nick Clegg will probably be remembered as David Cameron's other pet :L

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 20, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.