Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Going America Florida at 18

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hiya could anyone help me.

Thinking about going florida next year with 3 friends and were looking at the cheapest ways of doing things. Eg we want a villa instead of hotel etc but this means we need to rent a car. Were all hold a full licease but we will only be 18.

Does anyone know if we can rent a car at 18?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm not an expert, but I'm almost certain there would be no chance of renting a car. I think you need to be 20/21 over here and it could even be 25 over there I'm afraid.

There are a lot of other ways to get around Florida though, but you'll definitely lose the feeling of independence.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you know someone you can borrow their car, but renting is both difficult and expensive over there.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    okay thank you darling. How else could we get around florida to get to the theme parks? its just to get hotels in disney is like soooo expensive
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GMason)
    okay thank you darling. How else could we get around florida to get to the theme parks? its just to get hotels in disney is like soooo expensive
    There are a ton of shuttlebus services especially around Int. Drive in Orlando, if you were staying at a hotel they can generally sort you out with this. Every time I've been we've rented a car, but relatives have used these buses before when staying in a villa so that's definitely an option. Have a look on the theme park websites and they should have information on how to get there which may help By the way I'm deadly jealous, going to Florida with friends will be fantastic!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Okay thank you. I speak with travel agents etc. Dont mind staying in a hotel its just money. As this be are first real holiday on our own we want to do it with a bang but not spend loads in sense. That why we going down villa rent car route lol
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would suggest finding a non-disney hotel but most of them are on international drive and I wouldn't advise a group of young girls to go there to be honest. But yeah there are shuttle buses and stuff you'd have to do some research you definitely can't hire a car though sorry
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    nah its 2 girls and two boys. Yeah started research early. Like to thank everyone that helped. But yeah think hotel and buses best bet
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you do end up on international drive or end up going there for dinner I suggest cici's for really cheap good food or chilli's for a treat. And ponderosa steak house did an awesome breakfast. Fried chicken and all :P
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    i think theres some clause arother saying you need to have been driving for 3 years or some such before you can rent/drive abroad ... im sure google will have the answer though
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Some of the hotels on International Drive can be pretty cheap, and quite a lot of them include free shuttle buses to the theme parks. If you hire a car, you will also need to take into account things like car parking charges, which are not particularly cheap at the theme parks over there, and will soon add up if you are visiting them every day. Even if your hotel doesn't do a free shuttle bus, the Lynx bus services there are pretty good and will get you to all of the theme parks, or if you are staying on International Drive, there is the I-Ride trolley that you can catch, which only costs around $17 for 2 weeks.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you are planning on staying in one place the theme parks aren't all based in Orlando; unless you were just planning on going to those there.

You wont be able to rent a car, you have to be 25 if you are a foreign citizen I think. You'll probably have to rely on buses but your travel agent should sort all that if you buy your theme park tickets through them. Another bit of advice, if you or any of your friends has a relative in the British Army, Navy or Air force you will be able to get substantial discount on your tickets to theme parks.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:

Thinking about going florida next year with 3 friends and were looking at the cheapest ways of doing things. Eg we want a villa instead of hotel etc but this means we need to rent a car. Were all hold a full licease but we will only be 18.

First off flights are going to set you back at least 500 - 600£ if your going in peak season which im sure you will be.

I dont know about villas but im sure if you research hard enough then youll be able to find a cheapish one.

As for a car youve got to be 21+ here with at least three years experience and im pretty sure its 25+ over there so youve got no chance.

People have said about borrowing however youve still got to get insurance if you do that.

Getting to america isnt cheap however it is cheap once your there.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    You have to be over 21 to rent a car, this is the type of thing i'd love to do when I turn 18 next year. I really would recommend staying on international drive at a big hotel such as the Rosen Inn at Pointe Orlando that provide free transfers to all parks apart from Busch Gardens.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pitt1988)
    If you are planning on staying in one place the theme parks aren't all based in Orlando; unless you were just planning on going to those there.
    (Original post by pixbon)
    I really would recommend staying on international drive at a big hotel such as the Rosen Inn at Pointe Orlando that provide free transfers to all parks apart from Busch Gardens.
    Busch Gardens is probably the only major park outside of Orlando that most people tend to visit, however it is easy to get there without a car - as long as you already have tickets (which are included in many of the multi-ticket passes such as the FlexTicket, etc), there is a free shuttle that departs from various different locations in Orlando, you just make a reservation online on the website (google Busch Gardens shuttle, it should come up) for whatever day you want to go and then just turn up at the pick up point that you choose. We used it a couple of times last year and found it to be very reliable, getting us there before park opening both times and leaving just after closing. If you like rollercoasters, you definitely should visit this park!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Agreed, busch gardens was my favourite out of the lot.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Would also like to testify to Busch Gardens being well worth a visit
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

Be careful about where you choose to stay and the age policies at the hotels - a lot require you to be 25 at spring break times (anywhere from February to the end of April) and some others need you to be 21.

I'd recommend staying somewhere that offers free shuttle services to the parks you want to visit - so if you want to go to Disney more then think about hotels in Kissimmee because this is closer to Disney and generally more hotels there offer transfers. For universal look at International Drive - I like this area better but it's closer to sea world, universal, ioa and wet n wild. When we went in April we stayed in a hotel that was walking distance to universal which saved money.

I'd REALLY recommend you checking out the Orlando forums on Trip Advisor. If you create a similar post to this one then people with a lot of knowledge on the area and people who live there will give good advice as replies on your thread.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    thank you guys. Looking into hotels but maybe this holiday have to wait for a while
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The UK doesn't have any good theme parks

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: June 26, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.