The Student Room Group

The big "critique my diet" thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Well you say that your dinner could be "anything" so it's hard to tell really, you could be stuffing up on all kinds of things! Also, try to stay away from white bread - or bread altogether really. Any exercise is good, so running/walking is fine but you don't even really need to go to the gym to do that. If you want to increase muscle tone as well then using the weights in the gym would be a good idea, and perhaps some resistance machines at first to get started. Yoga and pilates would be good for general core and posture, though depending on the level I'm not sure you'd burn much fat in doing so...

I don't want to put you off but a stone in 6 weeks is quite a lot.

Thanks! Yeh I dont think it will be a stone, more like half a stone lol :tongue:
so what am i supposed to eat for lunch? I work a lot so have to have something I can take with me.

The muscle things I am going to do when Ive lost weight! Want to lose weight and then gonna tone/build up a bit after.

Thats the plan anyway!

Original post by pinkangelgirl
If I do things like pilates/yoga are they any good either?

I think those are better for posture and flexibility, not fat loss. The gym is your best bet so long as you work hard and don't kid yourself into thinking you worked hard. If you step of the treadmill after 20 minutes and you aren't sweating, did you work hard enough? Don't just base it off time spent in there, base it off how tired you are.

If you find the gym boring you could always try running outside, I prefer that myself. Try and keep tabs on how many calories you are taking in, I've seen people eat healthily but eat too much to lose any weight. Good luck with your new lifestyle choice! I'm sure some people here will have better advice :smile:
Thanks! Yeh I dont think it will be a stone, more like half a stone lol :tongue:
so what am i supposed to eat for lunch? I work a lot so have to have something I can take with me.

The muscle things I am going to do when Ive lost weight! Want to lose weight and then gonna tone/build up a bit after.

Thats the plan anyway!

Well lunch could be wholegrain bread still, or maybe pitta or something like that. Lunch is always tricky if it's a packed lunch.Other than bread maybe stuff like salad with lentils/chickpeas, or wholewheat pasta or coucuos with veg. If you have access to a microwave you could have soup, you can make soups at home really easily if you have a blender - that way you can control what's in them :smile:
Original post by Converse Rocker
I think those are better for posture and flexibility, not fat loss. The gym is your best bet so long as you work hard and don't kid yourself into thinking you worked hard. If you step of the treadmill after 20 minutes and you aren't sweating, did you work hard enough? Don't just base it off time spent in there, base it off how tired you are.

If you find the gym boring you could always try running outside, I prefer that myself. Try and keep tabs on how many calories you are taking in, I've seen people eat healthily but eat too much to lose any weight. Good luck with your new lifestyle choice! I'm sure some people here will have better advice :smile:

Trust me when I get off the treadmill/bike I have to crawl home haha
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Well lunch could be wholegrain bread still, or maybe pitta or something like that. Lunch is always tricky if it's a packed lunch.Other than bread maybe stuff like salad with lentils/chickpeas, or wholewheat pasta or coucuos with veg. If you have access to a microwave you could have soup, you can make soups at home really easily if you have a blender - that way you can control what's in them :smile:

I dont have a blender but the other things you said are good :smile:

What would you recommend dinner wise?
There are so many theads that are similar to this one, you could just read those.

But as always consume less calories than you lose (stick to like 1500) a day plus gym work, if you feel faint stop! try not to exceed over an hour at the gym, get loads of sleep.

Also drink water.

Try to keep a food diary to keep track.

See if you gym will sort you out a routine.

Get lots of interval training, rowing machines can be good for this, the same with elliptical machines. these are good.
If you want a more structured workout; spin class.

good luck!
I dont have a blender but the other things you said are good :smile:

What would you recommend dinner wise?

I'm not really an expert but I always think it's a good idea to have more protein than carb in a meal. So I tend to like things such as stirfried beef and veg with noodles, or chicken breast with a few new potatoes and veg (gotta have veg!haha). As long as you're not eating anything really fatty and having sensible portion sizes it should be okay, basically just avoid takeaways and deep fried stuff I suppose!
Exercise Wise= just make sure energy input < energy output if you want to meet your target. I suggest doing active sports like zumba/dance; I tried Salsa and bellydancing for the first time when I was dieting and it was amazing and I regularly go
Food wise= Cut down on bread
If you eat egg, don't eat the yolk, just eat egg whites
Cut down on use of oil and fried food
Monitor what you eat (use apps like myfitnesspal)
Don't buy readymade food especially in supermarkets-their salads have like 300kcal ..
Cut down on juices and replace with homemade fruit smoothies/water

Hope this helps
Reply 308
Original post by kalika_amz

If you eat egg, don't eat the yolk, just eat egg whites

There's sod all calories in an egg yolk really, this is hardly likely to be necessary.
Reply 309
Breakfast- weetabix/branflakes with skimmed milk, blackberrys/blueberrys in natual yoghurt
Lunch- wholemeal pitta with tuna and low fat cottage cheese, green leaf salad
Dinner- chicken breast, sweet potato, green veg

Snacks- almonds, beef jerkey, apple
Reply 310
essentially all you need to do is make sure your calorie intake is less than your calorie burn.
Original post by Slumpy
There's sod all calories in an egg yolk really, this is hardly likely to be necessary.

54 compared to 12 and if one continually adopts this, alongside other measures it will help
The gym is definitely a must alongside a healthy diet, even if you only burn say 200kcal in there, that takes your (example) 1500kcal a day and brings it down to 1300, even if you do it 3x a week, that's 600kcal, so around 2800kcal a month and that's a very easy workout.

I'm looking to lose 2 stone in around 3-4mths and the advice I was given was that diet would be the biggest change, which would yield results, but gym is an invaluable tool in losing more, quicker.
Reply 314
Original post by kalika_amz
54 compared to 12 and if one continually adopts this, alongside other measures it will help

Given the variance in egg size, it's a bit silly to claim anything so absolute as that. And considering all the essential good stuff in a yolk, not eating it for the sake of 40 calories is a bit unnecessary!
Reply 315
Original post by stayce88

Lunch- wholemeal pitta with tuna and low fat cottage cheese, green leaf salad

Replace the cottage cheese with a bit of avocado and add some sweetcorn and I have this for my dinner nearly every day.

Those wholemeal pittas are so quick and convinient to make and easy to eat on the move too. If you are careful - you can cut them in two and get a tin of tuna in each side. I freeze a load at home and whack em in the toaster to defrost. The macro ratios are good too - you could have that 4 times a day and it would be a good diet aside from the lack of variety.
is eating fruit before bed bad? im a waitress and dont finish work till really late, but i normally need to eat something before i sleep, and dont like eating anything too heavy. and does waitressing for around 8 hours a day burn alot of calories? im litterally on my feet for the whole shift.
Reply 317
Original post by GildedButterfly
is eating fruit before bed bad? im a waitress and dont finish work till really late, but i normally need to eat something before i sleep, and dont like eating anything too heavy. and does waitressing for around 8 hours a day burn alot of calories? im litterally on my feet for the whole shift.

everything burns cals, so yes :smile:

if you're hungry for fruit eat, it's not bad!
Please can you tell me if i'm likely to put on weight with a diet like this? I feel like I am eating much more but it's healthier stuff..

Breakfast is porridge oats (40g ish) with water and some berries
Snack is a piece of fruit or 80kcal small yoghurt
Lunch today is 2 portions of spelt (560kcal in all) and a pineapple slice
Another snack is a bowl of weetabix cereal (250kcal max this is my treat for the day)
Dinner is a salmon fishcake and lots of veggies, an apple after

I think it comes to about 1600-1700 calories. I go walking 60 mins a day and a few times a week do some cycling or jogging.

I know it's fairly low in protein, sometimes for lunch i'll have a few chicken wraps or something instead.

Oh i'm a girl with a BMI of 19-19.5

oh and is it too much to let my treat for the day be about 250 calories?
(edited 11 years ago)
I just ate 3 eggs, 4 mushrooms, half a can of tomatoes, about 3 handfuls of kale, half a pepper, 2 chillies and some whole grain pasta with a little bit of cheese and a load of paprika and cumin.

Am I going to die? : ((((

Original post by lilabs
everything burns cals, so yes :smile:

if you're hungry for fruit eat, it's not bad!

Yeah, it's not loaded with sugar or anything.

Quick Reply

Latest