The Student Room Group

Biol5 essay predictions and thoughts for June 2012

Hey(:

I created this thread purely for the essay at the end of biology unit 5 AQA, so we can all discuss our predictions for the essays and share ideas of what we can add into each predicted essay question(:

So... if anyone has any predictions join in(:

Scroll to see replies

I pray for enzymes/proteins but know that won't happen. :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by Wick3d
I pray for enzymes/proteins but know that won't happen. :biggrin:

That'd be a good one!(: I'm holding out for one on nitrogen. And that could happen, don't think it's been a question in the new spec(:
Reply 3
Proteins is actually a hot topic to come up judging from predictions from other people. Also a lot of people have been saying inorganic ions or ATP may come up...this would explain why my teacher gave us the ATP essay to do, maybe as a hint?

I hope they give us a nice one though, but can never tell with AQA examiners!
Something on ecosystems in general!!

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Reply 5
The inorganic ions one is my top favourite. Also maybe something to do with variation/diversity?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 6
i got an essay title from my teacher on the transfer or energy through ecosystems and living organisms
Original post by ZahraSmiley
Proteins is actually a hot topic to come up judging from predictions from other people. Also a lot of people have been saying inorganic ions or ATP may come up...this would explain why my teacher gave us the ATP essay to do, maybe as a hint?

I hope they give us a nice one though, but can never tell with AQA examiners!

What could you write for the ATP one? :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by umair.khan
i got an essay title from my teacher on the transfer or energy through ecosystems and living organisms

What would you write for this?
Original post by leeandrewarmstrong

Any process that involves ATP I guess, so that is quite a lot.
Reply 10
What would you write for this?

Hydolysis of ATP - energy transferred, used in other processes

Photosynthesis - light dependant reaction - photolyisis - light independant reaction - glucose produced

Plants - producers - energy transfer to primary consumer - decomposer activity

respiration - glucose from light independant reaction used in glycolysis - phophorylated by phophate ion - formation of reduced coenzymes - link/krebs cycle

ETC - energy released used to pump H+ ions across membrance etc.

you could say ATP from respiration used in maintaining resting potential - muscle contraction. Then link this to heat losses, so less energy available to secondary consumers etc.

thats all i could think of. Hope that helped you :biggrin:

Photosynthesis - light dependant reaction - photolyisis - light independant reaction - glucose produced

respiration - glucose from light independant reaction used in glycolysis - phophorylated by phophate ion - formation of reduced coenzymes - link/krebs cycle

you could say ATP from respiration used in maintaining resting potential - muscle contraction. Then link this to heat losses, so less energy available to secondary consumers etc.

Ooh, originally I thought this would be a pretty narrow essay, but you've changed my mind. Thanks! :smile:
Reply 12
Ooh, originally I thought this would be a pretty narrow essay, but you've changed my mind. Thanks! :smile:

aha, thats what i thought at first, but when you start with the simplest points like ATP, then everything else starts to fall into place with each point following from the other. I generally start with plants first when i do the essay, this way the carbohydrates produced in photosynthesis i can use in other processes so you can link more than you originally thought you could :biggrin:

This is the plan my teacher gave us:

- In respiration- glycolysis
- Active transport
- Ions in neurones
- resting potentials
- Synapses (regeneration of neurotransmitter)
- Uptake of sodium and glucose by co-transport protein in the gut
- Muscle contraction- make myosin heads return to normal position and reabsorb calcium ions back into sER
- Movement of flagellum of sperm (?)
- Protein synthesis- activates amino acids/ condensation reactions e.g glycogen synthesis

-Endodermis ions into xylem
- Root hair cells uptake of some ions by active transport
- Nitrogen fixation
- Photosynthesis- LIR- ATP used to convert GP to TP
-Regenerates RuBP
-ATP needed in cell division

Hope that helps :biggrin: Pick out whatever makes the most sense to you :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Erotas
The inorganic ions one is my top favourite. Also maybe something to do with variation/diversity?

What would you write for inorganic ions? I can think of Ca2+ in muscles, Na+ and K+ in nerves and ammonium/nitrites/nitrates in the nitrogen cycle, but I've reached a dead end there...

Yesss this did help, thank youuuu :biggrin:
But in conclusion I hope this doesn't come up XD
Original post by TheDeviant
What would you write for inorganic ions? I can think of Ca2+ in muscles, Na+ and K+ in nerves and ammonium/nitrites/nitrates in the nitrogen cycle, but I've reached a dead end there...

You could talk about:
Hydrogen- Photolysis, ETC
Phosphate- ATP, Glycolysis
Chloride- epithelial cells, CF
Iron- Haemoglobin and how it's linked with the uptake of Oxygen

Hope this has given you some more ideas :biggrin:
Reply 17
You could talk about:
Hydrogen- Photolysis, ETC
Phosphate- ATP, Glycolysis
Chloride- epithelial cells, CF
Iron- Haemoglobin and how it's linked with the uptake of Oxygen

Hope this has given you some more ideas :biggrin:

I didn't think of any of those :s-smilie: thank you! Still got my fingers crossed for proteins though :smile:
Reply 18
I'm scared =(
Original post by TheDeviant
I didn't think of any of those :s-smilie: thank you! Still got my fingers crossed for proteins though :smile:

Anytime :smile:
Ahhh complete opposite of me! I'm rubbish at writing about proteins XD but let's say one should be proteins and one should be inorganic ions :P I wouldn't mind ATP or variation either...Ecology is gonna be a nighmare for me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending