Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Possible to get rid of a dog for 1 yr?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am not going to be able to keep it once I graduate for personal reasons. Would it be okay if I got rid of it once I graduate?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    'got rid of it', no. Find a loving new home for him/her, yes.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    just take it to the rspca or similar if you cannot look after it, else find it a home with someone else.. bear in mind that you will not be able to get the dog back.. unless you have a good friend/family member who can look after it.. but i dont think its fair on the dog to keep changing owners.. if it was me id give it up as sad as it may be..
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sorry but if you don't mind me asking, why can't you keep it? Can't you try to keep it at least? It's so unfair on an animal to just chuck it around all over the place. I strongly recommend you find a trusted family member/friend to look after it - although the RSPCA are there for homeless animals, they are not rich and full of resources. Also, they can be quite distressing for a lot of dogs - I got my dog from there and she has always had a very strong, confident personality, but even she was petrified in there. They are surrounded by other dogs in caged-in areas, and although they get walks and human attention,it's not ideal for them.. so please only leave your dog there if it is the final option you have.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    A dog is for life not just for christmas...

If you gave the dog to a home you likely wouldn't be able to get it back, as well as it not being fair on the dog. You may have to plead with a family member to look after it for the year, but you would have to think about them having to walk it daily and the costs of dog food...

Could you definitely not keep it?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't mean to be rude but can I ask whether something has come up suddenly or did you not foresee the situation at the time you got your dog?

Dogs are wonderfully faithful creatures who get extremely attached to you. It's very hard on them but if you are gonna give it up better now than later. It'd be better if you found a nice home for it than give it up to shelter.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    OK, you're referring to your dog as "it", and want to "get rid"... To be honest I think you should try to find a loving home for life.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Scum
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It takes quite a long time for dogs to become fully attached and comfortable with owners and passing them to different people isn't fair to him/her. Although it'll be hard offering him/her to someone who can take care of it full time is more fair to the dog itself.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flora_4lyfe)
    I am not going to be able to keep it once I graduate for personal reasons. Would it be okay if I got rid of it once I graduate?
    Don't mean to be rude but "got rid of it"? I mean he/she has been with you for a year. You should find your dog a nice home if you really can't take care of him/her any more.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    You really need to make the effort to ensure your dog is going to be cared for and loved.

It's been mentioned above that dogs become extremely attached to their owners, and he/she will wonder what he did wrong if you give him/her away. If you have no other choice, then so be it, but please ensure your dog will go to a loving new owner, or the RSPCA as a LAST resort.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Freeze it in a block of ice and when one year passes by, you can melt it and let it thaw. It will be good as new.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pbsjohnz)
    Freeze it in a block of ice and when one year passes by, you can melt it and let it thaw. It will be good as new.
    OP will probably take this seriously.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PapaShmurff)
    OP will probably take this seriously.
    OP is banned from TSR lol

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 19, 2012
New on TSR

Join the Welcome Squad

Become a part of the TSR team!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered animals and pets threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.