The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by Herr
We have plenty of threads on TSR asking what's it like to have rich parents or to come from a privileged background.

Now am sure there are plenty on here who aren't from such backgrounds,

We all sometimes do wonder what's it like growing up underprivileged and minus the huge arsenal of wealth our parents provide us with. Am pretty sure it isn't really as bleak as many make it sound. What does it really feel like?

Does it feel anything for example when in school people talk about what their parents do for a living and you have to say they are on benefits or living on the dole?

Admittedly my exposure to people who are from such backgrounds is limited at best and tbh the only people I know on benefits are those I speak to on TSR.

Please share your experience.

* Only those who are from under-privileged backgrounds from OECD countries only please.

My experience

Some of the annoying/bad bits.
Sitting in the house watching the TV and seeing stuff advertised that you can't afford (yet. I will one day. I will)

Going to the store and seeing someone else spend as much on a single item of clothing than you spend on food shopping in a whole month.

When in secondary school you're noticed for not having the latest stuff, or being the poorest (even though the other kids' stuff was most likely paid with dodgy cash)

Bills or Food. Never enough money to cover both at the same time. The red letters that come when your only a day late for payment. Thames flippin Water!

Leftovers become breakfast, lunch and dinner again. (this is actually a good thing, just annoying) Too many times I see the mostly-eaten Curry Goat dinner from two days ago served up as breakfast. (Christmas dinner has to last a week)

Because your clothes don't look 'poor' or have a strong accent other poor people assume your a rich so-and-so and that justifies some idiot attempting to rob you - a few doors from your house

But the moment is when your old enough to learn the concept of work means more cash, and that your parent is in a low paying job and on benefits which isn't seen as a good thing in society. That's the moment it comes into focus and you realise how poor you really are. A part-time job then becomes essential

When your (I hate mentioning race by the way) black, you must automatically be poor (though I am), from a single-parent household, scrounger, gang criminal and have no future prospects and dumb.

The landlord wont bother to solve the rodent problem and you have to make your own custom mouse trap out of a boot, a Soothers sweet, and double-sided sellotape

The good bits
It teaches you how to be resourceful (good with money) Every pound, penny and £5, £10 and £20 note makes the biggest of differences (never underestimate this).

It gives me (I believe) greater motivation to become successful. If you do make it to the big time, then it's a more satisfying achievement for example climbing a mountain from the foundation to the summit instead of starting from halfway up (don't ask how, don't ask why I used this as an example).

Family /Friends can make or break you in these times. If you've got friends and family during this time that help you out and understand, it adds more depth to the relationship.

Believe it or not, some of the best things in life really are free (don't need to be poor to know this)

You take less things for granted. You appreciate the simple things more. You appreciate everything you have (I did).

Teaches you to just get on with life, and face the bull directly.
Well that's just my experience anyway
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Ra Ra
For a large part of my life, I grew up on a council estate in deepest darkest South West England. Think crappy housing, but among rolling green hills :tongue: We're much better off now - my mother's a single parent, and she earns £20K, which is more than what many of my friends' household incomes amounts to - and we're off the council estate, but it's very likely that she'll lose her job in the next year or so due to cut-backs and such. We're lucky in that if that happens, we have a large family who will be able to take us on, but there are very few jobs around in such a rural part of the country, and moving elsewhere is expensive. We could be on some benefits I believe, but for whatever reason my mother doesn't want to claim any.

No offense to your Mum but I don't understand this. Is it pride? there's no room for pride when you've got a family to take care of. Plus, she's working, paying her taxes into the system, she's entitled to get what she deserves out of it.
Reply 182
Original post by WelshBluebird
Not strictly true.
For some cases you have to put a deposit down for lot of halls / accommodation, and sometimes the first payments can be before you get any student loan, grant or bursary.
Then you have the fact that some circumstances mean you get less than what other families on the same income get (I got £1000 a year less just because I am from Wales) and such.

All university run accommodation will allow you to defer the deposit if you explain the situation to them that you have to wait for your loan.
Reply 183
Original post by joefoxon
If you wouldn't say you're poor, why are you commenting on a thread about what it's like to be poor?

Underprivileged
Original post by GdotL
I agree with you completely.

You making fun of me or you with me? Hard to tell!

Nah I'm poor too brah
Reply 185
Original post by politics_student
So, do you have evidence to back up this "fact"? Are you referring to all middle class youth, or just a substantial few?

From my experience the majority of them are!
Reply 186
Original post by Blazinq
Underprivileged

Your family are on £45,000 a year! Don't try telling me that YOU'RE underprivileged!
Reply 187
Original post by joefoxon
Your family are on £45,000 a year! Don't try telling me that YOU'RE underprivileged!

Most of my dads money is for his household like i said, He's the only one earning in the house, and if my mum is struggling to pay bills etc with 20k a year just for me and her and the pets, then he's going to be struggling with 25k a year paying for four people in the family and there two dogs.

So yes I am underprivileged to an extent.
Reply 188
Oh I didn't realise you said they were separated, I suppose you have a point then
Original post by Herr
All university run accommodation will allow you to defer the deposit if you explain the situation to them that you have to wait for your loan.

But not everyone has the choice of university run accommodation. Many have no option but to go for privately run accommodation.
Also I would like evidence of what you say (I know a couple do, but EVERY SINGLE university in the UK??).

Dont get me wrong, for most people in this country there are no financial barriers. But you cannot assume that is the case for everyone.
(edited 11 years ago)
For a number of reasons that I don't want to go into I will soon be 'poor'. I have come from a middle class family, went to private school and am about to become a single mum on benefits. Not sure why this is relevant but I will let you know what my experiences are like when I get there.. I'm sure I'm in for a treat!
Original post by Arturo Bandini
No offense to your Mum but I don't understand this. Is it pride? there's no room for pride when you've got a family to take care of. Plus, she's working, paying her taxes into the system, she's entitled to get what she deserves out of it.

I wouldn't say it's pride. Although we're not well off compared to many families, we're much better off than we used to be. We're doing all right without benefits, anyway. We can afford the necessities and pay the bills and such (with careful planning). I say we're 'poor' in comparison with those I know who go on holiday and have fancy cars, etc., which we can't afford but don't need anyway.
Original post by Calum93
My parents arent on the dole, but are in poorly paid jobs; Dad is a labourer in a factory and Mum works part time in a call centre.

How do I feel? Without being facetious, I feel fine. My family loves me, we have never gone hungry (Ive gone without lunch on occasion for there being no food in the fridge, but I'd prefer it were me than my younger sisters, and theres always been dinner at the end of the day).

I guess its the little things that are different. Its not the lack of designer clothes or christmas presents that bothers me, its the occasions where ive had a mock exam the next day and had been kept up by kids smashing up and setting light to an abandoned car (council estate...).

But, I feel happier knowing everything I do will be for myself, and that Im making my family proud. Theres no inheritance coming and no money to help at uni, but Im getting bursaries so hopefully ill be ok. And although I try to avoid overt-pride when I can, I do like that Im the only kid from my entire estate going to uni. :colondollar:

Sorry if that was a bit of a stream of consciousness on being less than privileged but I hope its of some interest to you!

Not everyone is academic.
Original post by Jasmine Topaz
Not everyone is academic.

Hi, this is a very old thread which I'm going to close now. Please check thread dates before closing.

Latest

Trending

Trending