Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can you pull out of an exam at any time?

Announcements Posted on
Study Help needs new mods! 14-04-2014
We're up for a Webby! Vote TSR to help us win. 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I got an very low A in A2 Psychology Unit 4 in January, but I decided to retake it just in case I screwed up Unit 3 (I'm pretty bad at timing, I might have ran out of time).

However, I finished all the question in Unit 3 a few days a go, and it went even better than Unit 4 in January. So I want to pull out of this retake.

The exams tomorrow. Can I turn up an hour or so before the exam, speak to the exams office and pull out? The only reason is, I don't want a retake on my record.

I've had very important exams I've been studying for for other subjects before and after this exam so I haven't revised properly, and will likely score lower than I did in January.

• 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes you can but you have to pay in order to withdraw yourself.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You will have to pay because the school payed for you to sit the exam, so you pay the price the school paid for you to sit the exam on top of the price it costs to pull you out of the exam.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just don't turn up.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by texico11)
    I got an very low A in A2 Psychology Unit 4 in January, but I decided to retake it just in case I screwed up Unit 3 (I'm pretty bad at timing, I might have ran out of time).

However, I finished all the question in Unit 3 a few days a go, and it went even better than Unit 4 in January. So I want to pull out of this retake.

The exams tomorrow. Can I turn up an hour or so before the exam, speak to the exams office and pull out? The only reason is, I don't want a retake on my record.
    Yes you can pull out on the day (do tell the exams office though so the rush to try and find you doesn't disrupt the other candidates.) It is too late to get a refund of the entry fee but it costs nothing extra to withdraw you so if you paid for the re-sit you shouldn't have to pay to withdraw.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whatever9999)
    Yes you can but you have to pay in order to withdraw yourself.

(Original post by zcanf)
    You will have to pay because the school payed for you to sit the exam, so you pay the price the school paid for you to sit the exam on top of the price it costs to pull you out of the exam.
    Incorrect. You do not have to pay to withdraw, as you will not have sat the paper. If the OP has already paid for the retake (which I assume they have) no further charges should be incurred. However, if the school has entered them then they may be asked to pay for the cost of entry.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beanstalkgirl_24)
    Incorrect. You do not have to pay to withdraw, as you will not have sat the paper. If the OP has already paid for the retake (which I assume they have) no further charges should be incurred. However, if the school has entered them then they may be asked to pay for the cost of entry.
    That's what i mean ,the op didn't mention anything about him paying for the resit ,so i thought the school entered him for free !hence the reason why i told him he has to pay.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh right, I paid for the resit, yes.

If that's the case, I'll go in tomorrow morning and tell them to pull me out.
    • 69 followers

ReputationRep:
    Some schools will charge you for doing this - even if you've already paid. It depends on their terms, really.
    • 40 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh right, I paid for the resit, yes.

(Original post by Juno)
    Some schools will charge you for doing this - even if you've already paid. It depends on their terms, really.
    But, if they do, ask to see a copy of the exams and charging policies
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I don't want a retake on my record.
    DO NOT PULL OUT.

If you retake an exam in the June of year 13 from the January of year 13, then it will not go down on your record. The only resits which go down on your record are AS exams from year 12, which you are planning to retake in year 13, on your UCAS application when you apply to uni. Nobody sees a retake from January to June of A2.

Do the exam and try and get a better grade in case you didn't do as well as you think in unit 3; you've got nothing to lose. If you do worse this time then the exam board will use the grade you got in January and this one won't matter.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can withdraw at any time (just speak to your exams office), and you do not have to pay to withdraw.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    yes. just let someone know so they dont worry about you.

numerous students do so, HOWEVER, you dont get your money back if you have paid for it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flyteryder)
    DO NOT PULL OUT.

If you retake an exam in the June of year 13 from the January of year 13, then it will not go down on your record. The only resits which go down on your record are AS exams from year 12, which you are planning to retake in year 13, on your UCAS application when you apply to uni. Nobody sees a retake from January to June of A2.

Do the exam and try and get a better grade in case you didn't do as well as you think in unit 3; you've got nothing to lose. If you do worse this time then the exam board will use the grade you got in January and this one won't matter.

Really? Awesome, do you have a link that states that, I couldn't find it being mentioned.

I don't mind sitting the exam and taking it easy if I don't have to declare it.

There's no way I can get a higher grade than an A on it though because I can't remember the material, I haven't gone over it. Seeing as I only needed to scrape a very low B in Unit 3 and it went better than all my other Psych exams (I've yet to get less than an A), I've got critically important exams on Tuesday (got an E in Geog) and Friday (yet to take Biology) so I wasn't going to spend revision time on an exam I got an A on after I knew I didn't completely screw up Unit 3.

I'm hoping (and quietly confident) that I got enough in Unit 3 for an A* overall. I'd be incredibly unlucky to not get a B (and miss out on an A overall)

So I either want to drop out, or take it knowing I'm not doing going to do better than the A I got.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beanstalkgirl_24)
    Sorry if I've misunderstood this, but does that mean you can pay to withdraw an exam paper after having sat the exam?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Right, so I'll just go to the exam board, maybe chat to them about it for a sec, ask to be pulled out, or if it's a big deal pulling out, I can sit it and take it easy if I don't need to declare it
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LarrikinLibertine)
    Sorry if I've misunderstood this, but does that mean you can pay to withdraw an exam paper after having sat the exam?
    It's free to withdraw up to early July, though if you are a centre candidate they may not let you.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Right, so I'll just go to the exam board, maybe chat to them about it for a sec, ask to be pulled out, or if it's a big deal pulling out, I can sit it and take it easy if I don't need to declare it
    The exams officer is the person you need to talk to.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: June 18, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.