Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Wearing a hijab, stylish clothes and make-up

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    So at my university there are many lovely Muslims and some of the girls wear hijabs. But many of these 'hijabis' also wear make-up.

I remember having lunch once with a few friends one of them who isn't a muslim asked my muslim female friend 'so what are you reasons for wearing a headscarf?' to which she replied something along the lines of 'In Islam you are meant to be modest and this shows I'm being modest and that I'm a muslim'.
    In my mind I did wonder a little that if she is wearing make-up, wear stylish clothes from Topshop, has her headscarf in that fashionable big/puffed up way many girls seem to do these days ... then is she contradicting herself?

I want to ask the girls here who do wear make-up, fashionable clothes and wear a hijab (and possible wear that in a fashionable way) what is your justification? Why do you wear a hijab? I'm interested to read everyone's view. I hope I haven't caused any offense.

Edit:
    To clarify my point, look at person A and person B. Both wear a hijab to show modesty but person B to many would be deemed more modest yet still looks pleasant and less contradictory.

Person A [these are different individuals but capture the same idea of this type of 'hijabi']:
    http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0...l9pqo1_500.jpg
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_GwthSUqXxA...dina+tokio.jpg
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-JfIyQubZUs...+Style+(2).jpg

Person B [these are different individuals but capture the same idea of this type of 'hijabi']:
    http://www.fashions-for-women.com/wp...-image-001.jpg
    http://www.themuslimtimes.org/wp-con...1/07/Hijab.jpg
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think it's because the concept of Hijab is often not understood fully. It is meant to make you look and act more modestly, but I think most people just put it on, without thinking of it's true purpose.
    Also due to societal pressures of wanting to 'fit in' and look beautiful.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Distant Mind)
    I think it's because the concept of Hijab is often not understood fully. It is meant to make you look and act more modestly, but I think most people just put it on, without thinking of it's true purpose.
    Also due to societal pressures of wanting to 'fit in' and look beautiful.
    Exactly.
    I want to know what justification they have for wearing a hijab and still dressing in slim fit clothes & make up. Because its so contradictory.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't really see the problem. The Qur'an doesn't say that you have to look as bad as you possibly can, or that your clothes have to be plain black, or anything like that.
    The point is that they aren't trying to dress in a way which is sexually enticing e.g. by wearing short skirts or low tops or semi-transparent clothes. And of course, that you can recognise them as Muslims.
    There's nothing wrong with looking good or looking fashionable.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    You're right many muslim girls don't understand the concept behind the hijab.

However some girls understand the concept fully, and they ARE modest people, so why should they not dress somewhat nicely if they are ACTING in an islamic way?

Edit: Why was I negged? Just stating a valid point.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Whether or not girls are wearing make-up is completely irrelevant when it comes to the headscarf. They wear the headscarf because it is specifically obligated in the Qur'an.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    I don't really see the problem. The Qur'an doesn't say that you have to look as bad as you possibly can, or that your clothes have to be plain black, or anything like that.
    The point is that they aren't trying to dress in a way which is sexually enticing e.g. by wearing short skirts or low tops or semi-transparent clothes. And of course, that you can recognise them as Muslims.
    There's nothing wrong with looking good or looking fashionable.
    Personally I think modesty doesnt require a hijab, like you I think its about avoiding wearing short skirts or revealing clothes.
    But I do think its contradictory to say X thinks she is being modest by wearing a hijab, she wore it as a fashion accessory almost.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noisy06)
    Whether or not girls are wearing make-up is completely irrelevant when it comes to the headscarf. They wear the headscarf because it is specifically obligated in the Qur'an.
    No it doesnt say it. It just says everybody should be modest. Can you point out the verse where is explicitly says a woman must wear a hijab?
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    "my muslim female friends"

I take it you're a Non-Muslim male. Basically, I wouldn't base or judge any Islamic principles on what they do or say.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luxray)
    No it doesnt say it. It just says everybody should be modest. Can you point out the verse where is explicitly says a woman must wear a hijab?
    (24/31) And tell the believing women...to draw their headscarves over their chests...
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I like this thread.
    Yes, in my opinion, it is contradictory!
    A headscarf is absolutely no justification for excessive make up, tight-fitting clothes, and the highest of heels. I don't wear a headscarf, but I certainly dress more modest than a number of young hijabi girls.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    "And tell the believing women to lower their gaze and guard their private parts from sin and not show of their adornment except only that which is apparent, and draw their headcovers over their necks and bosoms and not reveal their adornment....."
    [An-Nur, 24:31]

Adornment can refer to your natural physical beauty in terms of your body/figure etc and also refers to literal adornment.. like makeup lol

As a former 'hibarbie' (hijabi with makeup stylish clothes and what-not lol) I felt it was all detracting from the purpose of the hijab, I mean don't get me wrong there are days when I feel I need eyeliner because I look like a zombie but I just think that If you are going to take the first step and cover up It should be for the right reasons and according to the Quraan and sunnah.

But yeah, I totally understand why sisters feel a need to accessorize and dress up their hijabs. We live in a society where its viewed as negative and oppressive, obviously you would want to make yourself look good despite that
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you, as a muslim woman myself, I get really irritated when other muslim women wear hijabs whilst wearing a truckload of makeup and tight clothes, there's no point of weating a hijab then!!!!!!!!

I wear a hijab myself and I wear the long, black robey thing (because its REALLY convenient) and with regards to makeup I mostly go without it although I can occasionaly wear some pencil eyeliner (but only on my top lid)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Many people wear the hijab solely due to their parents making them and sorta just go along with that. Im young and wear a hijab and rather than my parents telling me to, I chose to wear it at a young age and as a result basically love wearing it and feel much more comfortable wearing clothes that I know are not revealing. I don't really see the point in wearing tight fitting clothes and so on if you wear the hijab. The hijab is not just covering your hair- its wearing modest clothes, not tight fitting, covering your neck, arms and legs and seriously what is the point in wearing it if you go out with tight jeans and all that.
    I know someone who hides from her parents to put on her hijab and when I say hijab I mean the whole lot. She sees it for what the the reason you actually supposed to wear it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can i just ask, why is it that women have to wear hijabs and be modest in what they wear/dress and yet men get to wear whatever they like. It kind of makes it seem like all men cannot control themselves (which I disagree with) and if a woman receives unwanted attention from a man, then it's the man's problem and they should be expected to control themselves and not blame it on how the woman dresses.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Question; fair enough with a hijab; it's not socially restricting and I'm sure it's down to the choice of Muslim women. But, without causing ANY offence, why do women wear burqas? If you had the choice of a hijab or a burqa, why would you choose to cover ALL of your body apart from your eyes? Surely it's hard to communicate with others, or express feelings, or even cope in the summer (when it's really hot!) whilst wearing a burqa? I'm genuinely curious and I'm not making any complaints about it or whatever, I'd just like to know the reasoning...
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bambi_eyes)
    I agree with you, as a muslim woman myself, I get really irritated when other muslim women wear hijabs whilst wearing a truckload of makeup and tight clothes, there's no point of weating a hijab then!!!!!!!!

I wear a hijab myself and I wear the long, black robey thing (because its REALLY convenient) and with regards to makeup I mostly go without it although I can occasionaly wear some pencil eyeliner (but only on my top lid)
    I guess it's a hard thing though, to wear the hijab.

I'm a boy so I wouldnt know but I understand it can be difficult! MashaAllah you have enough imaan not to wear certain clothes and truck loads of make up but some do because they aren't as confident as you or have a proper understanding of the hijab and what it means.

You shouldn't get irritated though. Best thing you can do is probably teach them
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pineappledogs)
    Can i just ask, why is it that women have to wear hijabs and be modest in what they wear/dress and yet men get to wear whatever they like. It kind of makes it seem like all men cannot control themselves (which I disagree with) and if a woman receives unwanted attention from a man, then it's the man's problem and they should be expected to control themselves and not blame it on how the woman dresses.
    I agree. These days there is way too much emphasis on how women should behave, not how men should behave. I think it even says in the Quran that men should lower their gaze in the presence of women.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luxray)
    So at my university there are many lovely Muslims and some of the girls wear hijabs. But many of these 'hijabis' also wear make-up.

I remember having lunch once with a few friends one of them who isn't a muslim asked my muslim female friend 'so what are you reasons for wearing a headscarf?' to which she replied something along the lines of 'In Islam you are meant to be modest and this shows I'm being modest and that I'm a muslim'.
    In my mind I did wonder a little that if she is wearing make-up, wear stylish clothes from Topshop, has her headscarf in that fashionable big/puffed up way many girls seem to do these days ... then is she contradicting herself?

I want to ask the girls here who do wear make-up, fashionable clothes and wear a hijab (and possible wear that in a fashionable way) what is your justification? Why do you wear a hijab? I'm interested to read everyone's view. I hope I haven't caused any offense.
    For me, it's more of an 'Identity' thing as opposed to a modesty thing. I don't need to wrap something around my head in order to be dressed modestly. The Hijab basically tells people automatically what my morals and values are (well it should do anyway).
    I don't think it's something that MUST be worn, it's a cultural thing which now just serves as an Identity thing, just like a wearing a cross on a chain.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by killa78)
    I guess it's a hard thing though, to wear the hijab.

I'm a boy so I wouldnt know but I understand it can be difficult! MashaAllah you have enough imaan not to wear certain clothes and truck loads of make up but some do because they aren't as confident as you or have a proper understanding of the hijab and what it means.

You shouldn't get irritated though. Best thing you can do is probably teach them
    I suppose you're right

Tbh I can't blame them alone, some of them are forced to wear it by their parents so they don't appreciate the reason for wearing it
Updated: June 26, 2012
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.