The Student Room Group

I CAN'T CHOOSE BETWEEN SCIENCE AND THE ARTS! help :(

Everyone keeps asking me what I want to study at university and I reply with the same three words 'I don't know'. Most people have a clear(ish) idea of what they want to study but I really can't decide between

-Law/Business
-Medicine/Biology related courses
-Art/Design related courses (ie graphic design)

all of which are completely different.

I'm predicted 5A's, and I'm not particularly incredible or terrible at any course. I love so many things I simply cannot pick. I find law & businesses' main weaknesses are that I may find the course boring, but I see myself in that kind of job(managing people). I find Biology interesting, and would love to study Medicine, however the competition, risk of rejection and demanding lifestyle puts me off. I additionally love designing and being creative but fear a course in for example Graphic Design would not leave me with a secure job at the end of it.

Does anyone have any opinions or ways in which I can sway my mind toward a particular course? I'm really running out of time (especially with medicine, would need lots more work exprerience) as UCAS applications are later this year.

Please help, sooo stressed! :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You could try and get work experience ASAP in both medicine and law :redface:

Then you'd be able to see which you might prefer, and would be one step ahead on whichever one you like best.

As for arts vs. sciences, may be a cop-out but I had a similar dilemma with music, and decided against it partly because of the job security like you say, and the clincher was that it's easy to keep up an art as a hobby.

Good luck!
Reply 2
You could always look into a mixed degree. I know both UCL and KCL are offering a combined course in arts/sciences.
Reply 3
Its simple,

Science = proper job

Arts = McDonalds
Original post by gingermitch
Everyone keeps asking me what I want to study at university and I reply with the same three words 'I don't know'. Most people have a clear(ish) idea of what they want to study but I really can't decide between

-Law/Business
-Medicine/Biology related courses
-Art/Design related courses (ie graphic design)

all of which are completely different.

I'm predicted 5A's, and I'm not particularly incredible or terrible at any course. I love so many things I simply cannot pick. I find law & businesses' main weaknesses are that I may find the course boring, but I see myself in that kind of job(managing people). I find Biology interesting, and would love to study Medicine, however the competition, risk of rejection and demanding lifestyle puts me off. I additionally love designing and being creative but fear a course in for example Graphic Design would not leave me with a secure job at the end of it.

Does anyone have any opinions or ways in which I can sway my mind toward a particular course? I'm really running out of time (especially with medicine, would need lots more work exprerience) as UCAS applications are later this year.

Please help, sooo stressed! :frown:

You need plenty of work experience for medicine courses, so if you want to do that you'll have to get on top of it now. Law is also extremely competitive, so you're really going to have to show something related to law that will make you shine for that.

If you like biology, that is probably the most straightforward course to do (i.e. doesn't require any special extra things). Graphic design is somewhat limiting in course you can do.

In my opinion, your best bets are biology or law for securing jobs afterwards. Unless you decide very soon that you're committed to medicine, as it needs work experience.
Reply 5
Pick science!!!

remember, Science can bee seen as an Art, so you will get the best of both worlds :biggrin:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 6
Original post by Tech
You could try and get work experience ASAP in both medicine and law :redface:

^This. It's the best way to find out what you want to do, you get a good insight into the working life of a doctor/lawyer and the pros and cons of each. Plus any work experience will strengthen your application, regardless of what you decide to apply for.

For the record, medicine is a scientific subject but you'll get opportunities to manage people, deal with the general puplic etc that you wouldn't get with any other sciences - it's the best of both.

...but then, I'm a little biased :biggrin:
Reply 7
Do sciences and maths. Especially physics. Then become a Mechanical design engineer. Its like a graphics designer, but your designs actually turn into something instead of ending up as concept art on google images.

Scientist can be artist, but artist cant be scientist. Simple as. Thats why most artist's are BROKE. Thats right, BBRRROOOOOOKKKKEEEEEEE!

Come on, let the word sink in, BROOOOOOOOOKKKKKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!. Broke-ass, broke-zilla, broooooooke.

..broke.
How does the phrase "would you like fries with that sound"?

Base your decision on that and you will go far my son.
Reply 9
Just because you decide to take a degree in one of those fields doesn't mean you decide against the others. You are interested in all of them? You can keep those interests up, whether you study them or not.

It's true that the law or sciences corner seems to offer better job chances later on, if that's a criterion for you.

I was in a similar position to you, really, because I was interested in everything, and I chose the arts. Don't regret it, and it hasn't kept me from keeping my other interests up.
Original post by The Dufmeister
How does the phrase "would you like fries with that sound"?

Base your decision on that and you will go far my son.

I guess you decided it sounded pretty good, considering your choice in university. You're really not in the position to insult anyone's degree.
Original post by shiinkii
Do sciences and maths. Especially physics. Then become a Mechanical design engineer. Its like a graphics designer, but your designs actually turn into something instead of ending up as concept art on google images.

Scientist can be artist, but artist cant be scientist. Simple as. Thats why most artist's are BROKE. Thats right, BBRRROOOOOOKKKKEEEEEEE!

I just thought I'd point out the illiteracy of some science students.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
I guess you decided it sounded pretty good, considering your choice in university. You're really not in the position to insult anyone's degree.

London South Bank is a respectable institution.

We have the 12th highest starting salaries of any university in the UK.

People on TSR need to pull their heads out of their arses. I put myself on the best course at the best uni I could to improve my future earnings. The OP should do the same..
Reply 13
Don't listen to these guys! Follow your dreams! Do an art based degree! Sure, you won't make much, but if you shop around heroin is pretty cheap anyway.
Oh wow. Pretentious science students on TSR. This is so unexpected.
Reply 15
Original post by Flyteryder
I just thought I'd point out the illiteracy of some science students.

Thank you sir, but im fresh out of fuucks to give. Analyse that, biitch.
Reply 16
Original post by The Dufmeister
London South Bank is a respectable institution.

We have the 12th highest starting salaries of any university in the UK.

People on TSR need to pull their heads out of their arses. I put myself on the best course at the best uni I could to improve my future earnings. The OP should do the same..

Confusing salary level with quality of education = epic fail
Original post by Maker
Its simple,

Science = proper job

Arts = McDonalds

I see you trollin.

I ain't hatin though.
Sorry, what year of study are you? Predicted 5 A's at AS? Have you already chosen your AS subjects then?
Original post by qua
Confusing salary level with quality of education = epic fail

No Im not.

Whats better? A really well taught arts degree or a badly taught science degree?

You would say the arts degree.

I would say the science degree, as you maximise your future earnings.

No confusion on my side.

Latest

Trending

Trending