Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can God create another God?

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Politricks)
    He also gave most of mankind a reason to believe in another god(s) or not believe in a god at all by not providing compelling evidence of his own existence.
    he gave us plenty of evidence in the past - the bible is full of examples - it's not his fault that several thousand years later people are all doubting that the bible is reliable. I mean, what do you want? Video footage of Noah's ark?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bukhatir)
    This argument is one of the oldest specious arguments offered by the atheists, and the scholars have a well known answer to it, which may be summed up in two points:
    1 – This matter is impossible, because if the other one was a god, it would not be possible to create him. To assume that he can be a god and be created is impossible.

2 – The idea of another god existing alongside Allaah is inherently impossible. There is a great deal of evidence to suggest that it is impossible, the least of which is the existence of this organized universe. If there were another god, the system of the universe would be spoiled because they would compete with one another and each of them would want to prevail over the other,
    Argument assumes your religious beliefs are correct, so hardly valid.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blazara)
    Argument assumes your religious beliefs are correct, so hardly valid.
    i didn't enquirer for ur opinion thxs
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    God can do whatever he wants. I'm surprised he hasn't created another God to play with already. Must get lonely.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
    he gave us plenty of evidence in the past - the bible is full of examples - it's not his fault that several thousand years later people are all doubting that the bible is reliable. I mean, what do you want? Video footage of Noah's ark?
    The Bible is evidence for the Judeo-Christian god? Then I guess the Qur'an is also evidence for Allah. Circular reasoning doesn't work.

Yes, it is his fault that people are doubting the credibility of the Bible, if god has left any room for doubt over his holy book, then it is his fault.

If the great flood actually happened, then Noah's Ark would have been floating at sub-zero temperatures - so how would exotic animals like lions and hippos survive?

I found a nice little picture to explain the rest...

If this actually did happen, then video footage would be nice, god is omnipotent, no?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bukhatir)
    This argument is one of the oldest specious arguments offered by the atheists, and the scholars have a well known answer to it, which may be summed up in two points:
    1 – This matter is impossible, because if the other one was a god, it would not be possible to create him. To assume that he can be a god and be created is impossible.

2 – The idea of another god existing alongside Allaah is inherently impossible. There is a great deal of evidence to suggest that it is impossible, the least of which is the existence of this organized universe. If there were another god, the system of the universe would be spoiled because they would compete with one another and each of them would want to prevail over the other,
    If there is something that God cannot do then he is not God as God cannot be limited by such things as impossibilities.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If god exists, why did he make me an atheist?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    well if you assume that an all powerful God exists, then yes he is all powerful therefore can do anything. But he wouldn't "For I the lord your God am a jealous God.." and all that
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    No - a "God" is uncreated by definition.
    The question doesn't make sense. It's like asking "Can God draw a circle which isn't round?" or "Can God do something which he can't do?"
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't think he'd wanna share the limelight
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANIGAV)
    Can God give someone all his knowledge and thus created another God?
    If God created another God then there would be two beings of equal power, and thus they could not be more powerful than the other. Ergo they would not be omnipotent. Reductio ad absurdum; proof by contradiction.

And if there are limits to God's power is he really omipotent, is he really a god?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stevo112)
    Thats what he did with me...

I used my omniscience to work out that your an idiot.
    *you're :facepalm:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    lol at the silly christians arguing
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, for he os GODDDD!!!!!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    he gave us plenty of evidence in the past - the bible is full of examples - it's not his fault that several thousand years later people are all doubting that the bible is reliable.
    Well...it sort of is. He knows humankind and, since he has seen the future (as he exists outside of time), he knew a book written by man would not be compelling evidence for the majority of the humanity (since no religion has a the majority of humans as its followers).

A book with tales of events which seem impossible, such as Moses parting the red sea, Jesus walking on water, Lots wife being transformed into a pillar of salt etc, is surely going to be doubted? Even much more realistic claims in modern day times are easily doubted without evidence, one historical document, with a rather obvious bias, cannot be held as proof of anything.

There have been those who claim that be using magnets, one can produce unlimited power..one example..

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...enewableenergy

now the large majority believe they are not accurate at all. However if I were to create a diagram of this supposed infinite energy device, explain its workings and put my work in a time capsule which was discovered in a few thousand years, it would be acceptable for those who discovered my work to doubt if it was against the laws of physics as we and they understand them and they could not reproduce the device, my claims and claims of others that it worked would not be proof it did.

In the same way many miracles and impossible things appear to occur in the Bible, often by Gods direct intervention. These days...he seems silent. Surely if he parted the sea and revealed smooth ground to help a passenger jet land, as a show of his power, all would believe. In the past he seemed to directly show his power via his own actions, and the actions of his "son" through miracles which obviously went against the laws of physics, even taking part in battles..not any more..

It is interesting that as scepticism of religion grows, YHWH does not reveal himself to us directly again or via another prophet with obvious superhuman powers. Along with this new revelation could be a new religious text, after all one huge issue with the Bible is that it was written by the humans of the time and much of it is relevant to their culture and time period. Now YHWH could provide us with much more scientific text, explaining things which we ourselves can't quite grasp and when we can validate what he says, it would lead all to believe. He could also update any questionable moral teachings in the Bible, since slavery was widely practised at the time, the correct treatment of slaves is discussed, rather then in modern times where all slavery is seen as abhorrent. Clearly it is understandable that God wanted to adapt a religion for the time period, not bombard them with teachings on society, science, medicine etc, which were beyond them, however we are ready for more...like a great author who publishes a scientific work, if they could live forever, they would publish many editions with corrections, comments, additional information etc.

Clearly this does not just apply to Christianity. In fact since so many Gods are worshipping, it is interesting they are not more active in their attempts to ensure their faith is known as the one true religion. Maybe which religion humans follow is not their concern, Vishnu, Allah, Ra, Ik Onkar..all the same being, maybe it doesn't matter which faith you follow.

Ah...not been here for a while, as usual my posts end up being my own musings on the subject..religion is so fascinating. If I hadn't done Zoology I'd have certainly studied Theology..too bad timetables clashed in my school and you couldn't do A-level Religious Studies and Chemistry, at a CoE school no less!
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    lol at the silly christians arguing

You're so silly you need the alphabet as your username, just in case you forget it. Boom.

• 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do you know when the sequel is coming out btw? I can't wait :woo:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANIGAV)
    you're*
    Your wrong. I was using it in the possessive (correct) sense...

therefore it is 'your an idiot' :rolleyes:
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SleepySheep)
    I think the sequel was the Qur'an, and the sequel after that was The Book of Mormon.
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SleepySheep)
    It's called the Quran :cool:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 19, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.