Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Retina Macbook Pro

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi i purchased early 2012 macbook pro with an thunderbolt 27 inch apple cinema display... my setup is only 3 months old.. im wondering if you where in my shoes would you upgrade to the new retina macbook pro... is it worth upgrading ??? any tips advice would be welcomed thanks
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    If you have the money, why not. Sell your old macbook pro.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Depends, what spec is your MBP and what do you use it for? To be honest though, there are very few people who *need* the Retina Pro, but if you've got the money then why not, right? As said above, you could sell your 'old' MBP and make up the difference, but unless you need something more portable/powerful/better screen then there isn't really much reason to upgrade.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sharp910sh)
    If you have the money, why not. Sell your old macbook pro.
    dude its not old its quad core i7 processer and the new one has a quad core i7 with ivy bridge my one is sandy bridge... The upgrade would be dual thunderbolt ports retina display hdmi port SSD Drives minus the dvd drive witch the new macbook pro doesn't have this would cost me about £800 if i was to get £1200 for this macbook pro..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wookie42)
    Depends, what spec is your MBP and what do you use it for? To be honest though, there are very few people who *need* the Retina Pro, but if you've got the money then why not, right? As said above, you could sell your 'old' MBP and make up the difference, but unless you need something more portable/powerful/better screen then there isn't really much reason to upgrade.
    Processor 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB thats my spec the new one would have 8gig ram and its not upgradable unless i went for the 16gig model in the first place.. but my one can be upgraded to 16gig.. i use it for im trying to learn programming and i do use Adobe Master Collection CS6 For web design graphic design ect im in two minds as i would be looking to fork out £800 bucks to upgrade.. would you upgrade if you where in my shoes ??? Thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Never jump on the new product straight away; wait a few months so that any issues that people discover will be addressed.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TH3ORY)
    Hi i purchased early 2012 macbook pro with an thunderbolt 27 inch apple cinema display... my setup is only 3 months old.. im wondering if you where in my shoes would you upgrade to the new retina macbook pro... is it worth upgrading ??? any tips advice would be welcomed thanks
    If you feel it's worth it and you want the latest tech then go for it, it does sound like you will be getting your moneys worth with this new upgrade. Although I would shift the macbook pro as soon as possible as its probably going to drop in value very quickly especially now there is a new range of products out.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ± Dan ±)
    If you feel it's worth it and you want the latest tech then go for it, it does sound like you will be getting your moneys worth with this new upgrade. Although I would shift the macbook pro as soon as possible as its probably going to drop in value very quickly especially now there is a new range of products out.
    Macs have this uncanny ability to hold their value much longer than PCs. You're right, but a G5 (well out of date now) can still be bought second hand, and in some cases would set you back in the region of £200 to £500. A comparable spec PC you could pick up probably for about £50 to £100.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johnaulich)
    Macs have this uncanny ability to hold their value much longer than PCs. You're right, but a G5 (well out of date now) can still be bought second hand, and in some cases would set you back in the region of £200 to £500. A comparable spec PC you could pick up probably for about £50 to £100.
    Spot on there mate, Mac truly hold there value I've seen the old 27inch cinema display go for around £600 to £650 and that doesn't even have the thunderbolt port.. while the new ones second hand cinema displays fetch £750 easy and £800 if you are lucky... Apple truly are pricey
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Spot on there mate, Mac truly hold there value I've seen the old 27inch cinema display go for around £600 to £650 and that doesn't even have the thunderbolt port.. while the new ones second hand cinema displays fetch £750 easy and £800 if you are lucky... Apple truly are pricey
    Yep, although price inflation (in comparison to PCs) on both sides of the equation mean that if you own a Mac, the ability to sell it on for serious money even after a few years is a good thing .
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you already have a good machine already plus a nice external display. If I were in your shoes I wouldn't upgrade because 1) I don't find the retina display terribly necessary 2) I think the successive generations of retina MacBooks will decrease in price a fair amount. Might want to wait till then.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The graphics is much better with the enw mac book pro. HD 4000 alone is good for video encoding.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sharp910sh)
    HD 4000 alone is good for video encoding.
    As is the massive 256GB SSD.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yep, and the 5 year old 30" ACD still goes for 600+ and retailed at just over 1000. So thats 40% deflation in 5 years, ridiculously good.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rorydaredking)
    Yep, and the 5 year old 30" ACD still goes for 600+ and retailed at just over 1000. So thats 40% deflation in 5 years, ridiculously good.
    Yeah dude well worth the investment the only down side with the new macbook pro is what ever spec you purachse you are stuck with it for life no upgrades at all check it out over here for full teardown of the macbook pro Click Me
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Processor 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB thats my spec the new one would have 8gig ram and its not upgradable unless i went for the 16gig model in the first place.. but my one can be upgraded to 16gig.. i use it for im trying to learn programming and i do use Adobe Master Collection CS6 For web design graphic design ect im in two minds as i would be looking to fork out £800 bucks to upgrade.. would you upgrade if you where in my shoes ??? Thanks
    Ok, well first things first, very few people actually *need* 16GB of RAM unless you're doing some heavy video editing or whatever - even then we're talking really high end stuff. Second up, you've god a decent set up there and the only massive jump you'd see with the Retina Pro would be the screen and the SSD. Unless the Retina screen is something you really need though, you're probably better off just swapping out your HDD for an SSD at a lower cost.

As for your needs, programming/web design really don't require much of a beasty set up - I've done web design on my Air for a year now and its absolutely fine. I upgraded to the 2012 model this year but I really didn't need to except for the addition of USB3 and 8GB RAM. Speaking as someone who studies Computer Science at uni and does their fair share of programming, you don't need a computer anywhere near the standards of the new Pro. Yeah, we'd all love to have one, but you're not going to notice much performance increase by upgrading except for the SSD speeds.

Basically, if I were in your position I'd just spend the money on upgrading to an SSD. If you've got the money then fine, go for the Retina Pro - if I had the money I would've probably upgraded had it been a lighter machine. In my opinion its worth waiting a year though, maybe by then the small bugs will have been worked out of Retina and the price increase won't be so huge. Just my two pennies!
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd say no because you already have a high resolution screen (personally a 27" 1440p monitor beats 1800p 15"). Plus this is the first retina macbook so you can guarantee they'll improve lots of little things in the next iteration and the one after that.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wookie42)
    Ok, well first things first, very few people actually *need* 16GB of RAM unless you're doing some heavy video editing or whatever - even then we're talking really high end stuff. Second up, you've god a decent set up there and the only massive jump you'd see with the Retina Pro would be the screen and the SSD. Unless the Retina screen is something you really need though, you're probably better off just swapping out your HDD for an SSD at a lower cost.

As for your needs, programming/web design really don't require much of a beasty set up - I've done web design on my Air for a year now and its absolutely fine. I upgraded to the 2012 model this year but I really didn't need to except for the addition of USB3 and 8GB RAM. Speaking as someone who studies Computer Science at uni and does their fair share of programming, you don't need a computer anywhere near the standards of the new Pro. Yeah, we'd all love to have one, but you're not going to notice much performance increase by upgrading except for the SSD speeds.

Basically, if I were in your position I'd just spend the money on upgrading to an SSD. If you've got the money then fine, go for the Retina Pro - if I had the money I would've probably upgraded had it been a lighter machine. In my opinion its worth waiting a year though, maybe by then the small bugs will have been worked out of Retina and the price increase won't be so huge. Just my two pennies!
    Thanks ill hold off as i do have a ok setup does what i need it to do.. Next year roll on then ill upgrade dude ::
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassi94)
    I'd say no because you already have a high resolution screen (personally a 27" 1440p monitor beats 1800p 15"). Plus this is the first retina macbook so you can guarantee they'll improve lots of little things in the next iteration and the one after that.
    Sweet thanks wait till next line up of macbook pro's dude
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can't take the cinema display into Starbucks.

Get the new macbook pro.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 23, 2012
New on TSR

Student in a Million awards

All the results from our prize-giving night

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.