The Student Room Group

School's for Nurse Midwifes

Hi I'm trying to get some recommendations on schools in England for Nurse Midwifery, any information would help. Thank you in advance.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Bump....any advise.
Reply 2
There's no such course as nurse midwifery in the UK, you can study midwifery or nursing, as an adult trained nurse you can go on and do a shortened course in midwifery and be dual qualified.

I've noticed you live in the US, do you have British nationality because otherwise it's very unlikely you will be able to get a place on a healthcare based course in the UK as they are funded by the National Health Service and thus have residency requirements to gain a place and funding.
Reply 3
Was not aware they were separate thing's in the UK, in the states you have to become a registered nurse to become a midwife. And no nationality was not aware you have to have citizenship to go to school out there.
Reply 4
Unlike the states we don't have certified nurse midwives, we have autonomous midwives, although many come from nursing and have done a post-graduate 18 month course.

The NHS funds our course fee's free of charge for natives, whereas immigrants/those who have lived away from the UK would have to live here for 3 years before being eligible for the bursary. You can fund your own tuition however, although this can cost around $16,000 per year.
Reply 5
Original post by CassandraWelch
Was not aware they were separate thing's in the UK, in the states you have to become a registered nurse to become a midwife. And no nationality was not aware you have to have citizenship to go to school out there.

You used to have to be a nurse first of all then do a post qualification course to be a midwife, the view many years ago was you were not a proper nurse until you could deliver a baby too. These days there is a separate undergrad midwifery course that you can study.
Reply 6
Original post by moonkatt
You used to have to be a nurse first of all then do a post qualification course to be a midwife, the view many years ago was you were not a proper nurse until you could deliver a baby too. These days there is a separate undergrad midwifery course that you can study.

So in the UK you don't have to get your nursing degree first to then go for Nurse Midwifery you can go straight to Nurse Midwifery then Nursing?
Reply 7
Original post by Pep_
Unlike the states we don't have certified nurse midwives, we have autonomous midwives, although many come from nursing and have done a post-graduate 18 month course.

The NHS funds our course fee's free of charge for natives, whereas immigrants/those who have lived away from the UK would have to live here for 3 years before being eligible for the bursary. You can fund your own tuition however, although this can cost around $16,000 per year.

I was looking into over sea's scholarships here in the states that would help me. Why do you assume that I would be looking to the UK to help when I don't even have any living relatives left there.
Reply 8
So in the UK you don't have to get your nursing degree first to then go for Nurse Midwifery you can go straight to Nurse Midwifery then Nursing?

No as far as i know you either do an adult nursing course then do a midwifery post grad or do a midwifery degree, at the end of the degree you become a fully qualified midwife.
Reply 9
I was looking into over sea's scholarships here in the states that would help me. Why do you assume that I would be looking to the UK to help when I don't even have any living relatives left there.

I wasn't making assumptions, simply stating the financial situation, although there is help :smile: there are various loans/scholarships available, although some universities won't accept self-funding students.

But yes, unlike previous decades, direct entry midwifery is now the primary source of midwives and nursing training is not needed to register with the NMC.

In regards to your initial question, Nottingham, Manchester, York, Edinburgh to name a few come to mind when considering renowned nursing/midwifery departments/schools although all universities offering the degree's meet standards set by the NMC.

Its extremely competitive but having lived in the US for a few years I know i'd rather train or at least work in the UK, good luck!
Original post by Pep_
I wasn't making assumptions, simply stating the financial situation, although there is help :smile: there are various loans/scholarships available, although some universities won't accept self-funding students.

But yes, unlike previous decades, direct entry midwifery is now the primary source of midwives and nursing training is not needed to register with the NMC.

In regards to your initial question, Nottingham, Manchester, York, Edinburgh to name a few come to mind when considering renowned nursing/midwifery departments/schools although all universities offering the degree's meet standards set by the NMC.

Its extremely competitive but having lived in the US for a few years I know i'd rather train or at least work in the UK, good luck!

Thank you for the advise I will definitly look into those schools.

Midwifery is a separate programme leading to registration as a Midwifery, there are increasing numbers of UK Midwives who aren't and have never been Nurses ...

as a none EU citizen places are extremely limited if any at all because of pressures on placement environment due to the high number of clinical hours required in EU directive compliant Nursing or Midwifery courses

Quick Reply

Latest