Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do you get a scared squirrel out of your room?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stasiaxx)
    I was always told that if you find an injured fox n your property you should call a wildlife rescue charity because the rspca will kill them i don't know abut squirrels.
    Personally i think greys should be killed in places where reds still are but killing them elsewhere wont achieve much unless you reintroduce reds. Rspca may think the same.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IndyAM)
    Sorry, yeah, I meant pests when I say vermin. I (may have been wrongly) assuming it was a red one, but equally, you don't want squirrel blood on your carpet.

And instead of the blow, could just shoot it? Probably more humane, but that HAS to be a last resort.

Has the OP resolved this yet?
    I haven't. I think it might be dead or playing dead though. Posted a picture above. I know it's hard to tell but it's upside down if that helps.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dreamweaver)
    This is a pic of it, bad quality i know:

Attachment 158065
    END IT!!!

seriously, though... long live the REDS!!!

if it's grey just bottle him...

or spray deodant on him to choke him?? although that's not very humane....
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    This morning, i was shaken awake by younger brother, screaming that there was a squirrel in our house. I dismissed this as yet another rendition of one of my crazy dreams. However, it soon transpired that this wasn't case as i could hear my mothers hysteric voice in the background. I reluctantly rolled out of bed and made my way downstairs. The scenes that greeted me were shocking. I could barely recognise my own living room. Vases had been smashed, the plants had been dug up, there were CD's on the floor in every direction, the sofa had been ripped, the lights weren't working and the carpet had been torn.

The poor thing had accidentally made it into the house and despite our best efforts, couldn't find the exit. It's now curled up in my study behind a bookcase and will not come out. The windows are all open and i've left a trail of nuts leading to the window but it hasn't moved for an hour. Any suggestions?
    Thank you so very much you have made my day.
    yeah but just open every window and door, and leave it a while, same happened to me with a pigeon, the was **** everywhere. i suppose it was scared.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    1) Buy some warfarin
    2) ???
    3) Profit!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mulligan)
    It sounds to be in shock. It likely won't move so get someone to help you move the bookcase. Have ready strong gloves and a thick towel to throw over the animal and a box or cat basket. Darken the room as much as you can and slowly move the bookshelf. When you can reach the squirrel put the towel over it and quickly place it in the box and shut the lid. If it just lies there or looks hurt take it to the vets who usually treat wild life for free and take them to a sanctuary.
    If it seems OK or thrashes about cover the box so it is dark and then set it free near trees so it can go up there and recover.
    Good luck
    Thanks for the advice, very helpful. I think i'll try that when someone gets back. If i try it on my own it will escape (if it is alive) and cause even more damage. Everyone just left lol.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tj hughes)
    END IT!!!

seriously, though... long live the REDS!!!

if it's grey just bottle him...

or spray deodant on him to choke him?? although that's not very humane....
    We could start a grey squirrel fur fashion which would have the duel advantage of helping the reds and really pissing peta off.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is a pic of it, bad quality i know:

Attachment 158065
    ...That's a hat.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    ...That's a hat.
    I had to lean over my desk, hold a large lamp in one hand, phone in the other and take a picture all at the same time. Apologies if the photo won't win any awards, but i assure you, it's a squirrel.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is the best thread title EVER.

But on the other hand, corner it and just go for it, you want drastic action? You need to get in there

Good luck
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice, very helpful. I think i'll try that when someone gets back. If i try it on my own it will escape (if it is alive) and cause even more damage. Everyone just left lol.
    You are welcome. Just watch your face as they can panic and either bite or claw you when they are very scared. You need to contain it from getting out that space. A net is good if you have a strong one. Just watch it doesn't bite. I don't think it is dead. The muscles look quite taught. It is likely in shock as I said. You do need to be quick and don't hesitate when you have it in the towel. Grip it firmly and quickly transfer it.
    Poor wee mite. I've worked a bit with animals over the years.
    Some people are being horrid about it and I'm glad to see you are willing to help.
    Could you get a neighbour to help as it will start to come round in a while and may come out and start panicking in the study?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't have any useful advice sorry, but I just wanted to add that this situation is hilarious (to me, obviously not to you) and thank you for making my morning!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mulligan)
    You are welcome. Just watch your face as they can panic and either bite or claw you when they are very scared. You need to contain it from getting out that space. A net is good if you have a strong one. Just watch it doesn't bite. I don't think it is dead. The muscles look quite taught. It is likely in shock as I said. You do need to be quick and don't hesitate when you have it in the towel. Grip it firmly and quickly transfer it.
    Poor wee mite. I've worked a bit with animals over the years.
    Some people are being horrid about it and I'm glad to see you are willing to help.
    Could you get a neighbour to help as it will start to come round in a while and may come out and start panicking in the study?
    I'll ask, again thanks. Here is a better picture of it. Does it look dead? I prodded it a few times (very gently) and there was no response.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (1).jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	259.3 KB 
ID:	158068
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by txo)
    I don't have any useful advice sorry, but I just wanted to add that this situation is hilarious (to me, obviously not to you) and thank you for making my morning!
    I know its something out of like a novel or would be fitting for a scene in Outnumbered lol
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by txo)
    I'm glad my misfortunate is entertaining you
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is it breathing?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by green.tea)
    Is it breathing?
    It's very hard to tell. I looked at it for a minute and i couldn't see any motion.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    There has to be some wildlife rescue center near you, or something of that sort. Google local wildlife rescue centers in your area. Phone them up, they're likely to give you better advise than us lot at least, and at most, they might know someone who can come out and rescue the poor thing. It's probably scared to death, hysterical screaming doesn't help.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No it still looks alive. It may be sort of paralysed with fear because it is jammed in there but they rarely just go in a small space and die.
    If you can get someone from a wildlife centre to come that will be best as they will have a net etc to catch it safely.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad my misfortunate is entertaining you
    I think it's more of the squirrels misfortune! Just saw the photo, poor squirrel, you should have phoned someone up straight away.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 19, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.