Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Three questions: American amazon/laptop

Announcements Posted on
TSR wants you: get involved with Power Hour. 10-04-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    1)Is it possible to purchase products from the American amazon website? Are there any extra actions to do so? Will the same price (converted into British pounds) be deducted from my bank account?

2) is it possible to get insurance/warranty from a laptop bought from amazon?
    Generally a laptop will have at least 1 years warranty. If I bought a laptop from the american amazon site and it breaks down within this year, what is the procedure to take in order to fix/replace it?

3) is purchasing through this site (amazon in general) normal/recommended?
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dmon1Unlimited)
    1)Is it possible to purchase products from the American amazon website? Are there any extra actions to do so? Will the same price (converted into British pounds) be deducted from my bank account?

Generally a laptop will have at least 1 years warranty. If I bought a laptop from the american amazon site and it breaks down within this year, what is the procedure to take in order to fix/replace it?

You can use Amazon Currency converter (just tick it at some point in your account settings or during checkout - can't remember) so they charge you GBP. Your bank will probably charge a fixed fee - typically about a pound - for currency conversion, if you decide to just buy in dollars. You'd need to ask them directly to make sure they don't employ a percentage-based charge.

I don't think warranty works worldwide but I'm not sure.

I know a fair few people who buy some stuff from Amazon US but usually items that aren't too expensive/requiring warranties. If it helps I'd suggest Amazon.de because some of their prices are cheaper and warranty is definitely transferable.

EDIT: Oh yes and tax - which is obviously included in the de pricing.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

Yeah, but watch out for tax.

As said above, this will be a product specific thing - you might have to purchase an extra warranty for somethings

People do it, but often with the cost of shipping and stuff it doesn't always end up cost effective

If you are buying a laptop from the US you should note that you'll get a US keyboard. If you're ok with that then go for it
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassi94)
    You can use Amazon Currency converter (just tick it at some point in your account settings or during checkout - can't remember) so they charge you GBP. Your bank will probably charge a fixed fee - typically about a pound - for currency conversion, if you decide to just buy in dollars. You'd need to ask them directly to make sure they don't employ a percentage-based charge.

I don't think warranty works worldwide but I'm not sure.

I know a fair few people who buy some stuff from Amazon US but usually items that aren't too expensive/requiring warranties. If it helps I'd suggest Amazon.de because some of their prices are cheaper and warranty is definitely transferable.

This. Despite the fact that the exchange rate from £ to € is lesser to that of £ to $, you'll still get a discount that's nothing to be sniffed at. Plus, the warranty would probably still be acceptable for a UK citizen, since you're still in the EU and most repair centres (well, from what I've seen for computers anyway) are centrally based in the EU. For example, Microsoft's one is in Frankfurt (I believe).

(Original post by Wookie42)
    This is also a very important point that I forgot to mention, it can be quite hefty...
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyJ)
    This. Despite the fact that the exchange rate from £ to € is lesser to that of £ to $, you'll still get a discount that's nothing to be sniffed at. Plus, the warranty would probably still be acceptable for a UK citizen, since you're still in the EU and most repair centres (well, from what I've seen for computers anyway) are centrally based in the EU. For example, Microsoft's one is in Frankfurt (I believe).

This is also a very important point that I forgot to mention, it can be quite hefty...
    Would tax simply be shown near the end, added to the final cost of the product?
    E.g.
    Laptop - $600
    Tax - $x
    Total - $(600+x)

Meaning I'd be well aware of the full price before purchase?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wookie42)

As said above, this will be a product specific thing - you might have to purchase an extra warranty for somethings

People do it, but often with the cost of shipping and stuff it doesn't always end up cost effective

If you are buying a laptop from the US you should note that you'll get a US keyboard. If you're ok with that then go for it
    Do the US not use the same qwerty layout? I thought the key layout was a worldwide de facto standard?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    E.g.
    Laptop - $600
    Tax - $x
    Total - $(600+x)

I'd assume it would tell you somewhere, as they can hardly take more money from your bank account than what they originally mentioned.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do the US not use the same qwerty layout? I thought the key layout was a worldwide de facto standard?
    Some symbols are different, e.g. the @ sign has moved to shift+2. Have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboar...#United_States for what it looks like.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    E.g.
    Laptop - $600
    Tax - $x
    Total - $(600+x)

Check this out: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...6184&#restrict

Some stuff won't even be available to ship internationally (one example is the TF300).

No I don't think so. I believe tax is charged after sales in the US i.e. "Tax Collectors"

You will be charged 20% Tax by the UK when it arrives in the country (or you don't get to have your product ). If the value of the product is over £135 you may have to pay import duty depending on the item.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Be aware that depending on the delivery company, there may be issues ordering anything with a lithium battery. USPS (Amazon.com preferred courier) will not deliver anything with a lithium battery internationally.

http://blog.sellerengine.com/2012/05...ium-batteries/

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: June 20, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.