The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

OU Maths MST121 + MS221?

Hello everyone,

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to study both MST121 and MS221 in the same year? The MS221 blurb says that it is an option. However, I registered today, chose MST121, but didn't seem to have the option to chose MS221. I may be deluding myself, but I think I would be able for both courses in the same year, part time. Are the OU still offering this option?

Any info would be very gratefully received :-)
Reply 1
Original post by OUivan12
Hello everyone,

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to study both MST121 and MS221 in the same year? The MS221 blurb says that it is an option. However, I registered today, chose MST121, but didn't seem to have the option to chose MS221. I may be deluding myself, but I think I would be able for both courses in the same year, part time. Are the OU still offering this option?

It is doable as Bleak Lemming just finished exactly that :wink:

I'm not aware of the option being removed. What happens when you try to register for MS221?
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Hello everyone,

Hiya matey,

I've just finished MST121 & MS221 and the only changes I know of is that MST121 is having an exam put in future presentations so you should be able to register with both separately. They actually used to be one module but got split into two a few years back. If you're struggling to register give the OU a ring and they should be able to advise you :smile:
Reply 3
I have vague recollections from when I did MST121 that it was only possible with the February start date. But yeah, if you're unsure, ring them.
Reply 4
Hello everyone,

Yes you can do them together and quite a few people do. I have just completed 121 and 221 and did them separately. If you have maths to A level, then do them together and it will be quite easy. If you only have maths to O level, then I'd advise doing them separately.
I had only GCSE grade A maths, no A-level experience in the subject and managed both modules quite well. You'll need to give a fair bit of time tho! 1 book per week
Reply 6
I feel like I read somewhere that in the brave new world of Q degrees, they were going to make people do at least 60 credits of each level before going on to the next level (i.e. you'd have to do 60 credits of Level 1 before starting on Level 2). I probably read it on OUSA, so it may or may not be true, but if it is it could have an impact...
Reply 7
Thank you everyone for all your input.

I had emailed OU straight away, querying why the option to chose both MST121 and MS221 wasn't available. I went back to my OU profile this morning, and discovered that I have mysteriously been registered for both! The cynic in me wants to come up with a theory as to why I needed to email them directly before I could chose both options, however, I'm just glad to be in.
Reply 8
Original post by Moggs
It is doable as Bleak Lemming just finished exactly that :wink:

I'm not aware of the option being removed. What happens when you try to register for MS221?

They option literally isnt there. There's a bunch of Level 1 courses, including MST121, organised with buttons to register. None of the other levels have such buttons attached to them.
Reply 9
Original post by Bleak Lemming
Hiya matey,

I've just finished MST121 & MS221 and the only changes I know of is that MST121 is having an exam put in future presentations so you should be able to register with both separately. They actually used to be one module but got split into two a few years back. If you're struggling to register give the OU a ring and they should be able to advise you :smile:

Thanks for the advice, Man! I emailed them, querying why they did not have an option to register on the website, and yet the info for the course still describes studying for both as a possible, albeit difficult, path. When I checked my OU profile this morning, they had registered me themselves! No reply, mind. However, it's good to know that they were originally the same course, as it explains a lot.
Reply 10
Original post by timsnape
Yes you can do them together and quite a few people do. I have just completed 121 and 221 and did them separately. If you have maths to A level, then do them together and it will be quite easy. If you only have maths to O level, then I'd advise doing them separately.

Thanks for that; I do have a background in A Level Maths, and it's a load off to know this will give me a good leg up. I didn't get that impression from their MS221 page!
Reply 11
Original post by Persipan
I feel like I read somewhere that in the brave new world of Q degrees, they were going to make people do at least 60 credits of each level before going on to the next level (i.e. you'd have to do 60 credits of Level 1 before starting on Level 2). I probably read it on OUSA, so it may or may not be true, but if it is it could have an impact...

That explains perfectly why I couldn't register on a level 2 course yesterday! The only options available were other level 1 courses which didn't really include ones I was interested in.
Reply 12
That explains perfectly why I couldn't register on a level 2 course yesterday! The only options available were other level 1 courses which didn't really include ones I was interested in.

It's in the general qual regs for Q degrees (2.2.3, I guess this is covered under 2.2.7)
Reply 13
Original post by sputum
It's in the general qual regs for Q degrees (2.2.3, I guess this is covered under 2.2.7)

Wow, you really know you're stuff! I'd better bone up before October...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending