Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you ever travel alone?

Announcements Posted on
Live webchat: Student Finance explained - on TSR from 2 - 3pm 17-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I really want to do Trek America next year (Google it, it looks amazing) and lets say... I'm in a fortunate position in comparison with my friends. I have the money to be able to afford to do it and they don't so I'd have the go alone...but the thing is, would you ever travel alone? Would i look "sad" ?

I really want to go
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes yes yes! Especially if you go with a student tours company or similar, meet other new travelling friends it'd be a great experience.

Just beware of some countries (parts of thailand etc) where you might be targeted for being alone.. just watch the film 'Taken' and bear that in mind!
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you really want to go then do so.I dont see the point in waiting around for others when you are financially ready and everything.

I dont know for sure but there might be hostels in america, you're bound to meet other travellers there.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well it's like a tour thingy so Im guessing Id be with the same people
    Ah thanks guys, you've made me feel better
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It depends entirely on whether or not you feel comfortable with being on your own for periods of time and how quickly you can strike up a a rapport with new people.

Going travelling on your own can be lonely at times. You're in a strange, new place with nobody that you know to share the experience with and while you might be thinking "this is amazing!" you will also be thinking "Aw, [insert friends name here] would have loved to have seen this. I wish they were here." Similarly, you'll walk around looking at friends and couples exploring places together and you can't help but feel a little bit left out because there's only you. Finally, stopping for food is a massive hassle. It takes a lot of courage to man up and walk into a restaurant by yourself - and be prepared for the serving staff to give you some funny looks. Happened to me all the time, but that might be because I ordered a bottle of wine to myself... Hmm.

However, by going by yourself you're opening a world of opportunity. Because there's just you, you don't have to do anything that you don't want to. There's no compromise and you don't have to go to that boring museum because your friend wanted to. You get to plan your day and do whatever you want. It's awesome!!

When you're by yourself, you find that you have to go out of your way to meet new people. You strike up conversations with strangers just to pass the time and end up making loads of frineds that you wouldn't have without being there by yourself - you'd have just stuck to your established friendships and everything else would have passed you by. When I was in Rome by myself I met an art student studying the Sistine Chapel, an American doctor caring for patients with AIDS, two other Americans who were meeting with extended family and just taking in some culture and a whole host of other really cool people who I ended up having a great time with. It's daunting at first to walk up to a complete stranger and start a conversation, but it can make the entire experience so much more worthwhile.

If you're with the same group for the entirity of the tour, then its probably fair to say that you'd get to know them fairly well. As such, don't hesitate about going because you don't have anyone to go with - there's an entire tourbus to go with, you just need to use the confidence that you have in going by yourself to engage with them and make new friends. There will be plenty of opportunities for ice-breakers, so go for it!
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    This feeling that travelling alone may be 'sad' or whatever is a surprisingly popular one, given that backpackers' hostels are largely geared towards solo travellers. I was astonished when I mentioned to a group of friends last year that I'd be going from Valencia to Seville and Lisbon alone, and one of them laughed. You're going alone? Yes. To be honest, I'm unsympathetic to this type of insecurity.

You've phrased of the question 'would you ever travel alone?'; there's a bright orange sticky for solo travellers at the top of the forum that suggests your question's been answered already!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Dude f****g do it!! I personally wouldnt advise even going with a tour groupy thing based on my experience of going places solo without using such a thing (though I have never been to america). Just my opinion because you may meet less people. But I guess it will guarantee you company and maybe is more suited to what your looking for.
    Regardless dont think about what others/friends think...not sad at all. 'Sad' are those that dont have the balls to do something they really want to because of what people think. Do it!
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    :yep: Been there, done that, had a great time
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing trek america next week! I leave for new york in 2 days! I'm doing it alone and infact everyone on my trip are going solo! you'd be fine! i'll let you know what its like when i get back! x
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm exactly the same, I really want to do trek america but I'm worried i'll get lonely and won't enjoy it :/
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well if I was younger ( and had the 4k) I would do the 60 odd day tour of america and Canada.It looks fab and would encompass everything that I want to do there!!.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    some day i want to just get in a car with a bag of weed and drive from new york across to the west coast then all the way down to the southernmost tip of argentina. i think it'd be the coolest thing you could ever do
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do it!

I did trek america a few years ago, had a great time, made good friends with the other people on the tour. Go for it, which tour are you looking at doing btw?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Personally I find travelling alone to be a little bit lonely because you see all these cool places and there's no one to share it with.

On the other hand, if you don't think that would bother you, just go for it. There will be opportunities to meet people. Is this a group tour? If there are going to be other people on it, I would have no reservations at all.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I would say yes go for it as if you dont you may regret it

i was going to go by myself last year but i got a job opportunity so didnt go.

Travelling by yourself will become lonely (who doesn't get lonely ever now and again) but i am sure you will meet people and have a lovely time. Even though your have a route... if people you meet are travelling and are going somewhere off your route why not join them

Good Luck
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deathlyhallows)
    I really want to do Trek America next year (Google it, it looks amazing) and lets say... I'm in a fortunate position in comparison with my friends. I have the money to be able to afford to do it and they don't so I'd have the go alone...but the thing is, would you ever travel alone? Would i look "sad" ?
    I really want to do Trek America too! I think it would just be the most epic thing ever. I've never been to the US, but I love everything about the place and have a massive interest in American culture, history and politics. I'm going to try and convince on of my friends who is taking a gap year to go on it with me, but if I can't then I'll just go alone!
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I prefer travelling alone.... thanks.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by don_lad_)
    some day i want to just get in a car with a bag of weed and drive from new york across to the west coast then all the way down to the southernmost tip of argentina. i think it'd be the coolest thing you could ever do
    Driving across international borders with drugs? I see no way that could possibly end badly...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I travel alone quite often, it's not as bad as people think. On the contrary, you're in the rare position where you get to do what you wanna do and looking after Number 1. Plus, it's quite easy to make friends with the people around you I'm sure.

Go for it I say =]

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 11, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.