The Student Room Group

PostGrad Psychology Students 2012

Hey,

This is a thread for those of you starting your MSc or PhD this September.

Where are you studying and what field have you chosen?

I'm going to Liverpool to study Forensic and Investigative Psych.

Looking forward to hearing from other Psychology students! :-)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello :smile:

I'm not, I'm just replying to this thread because I'm hoping to apply for postgrad for September 2013 entry (things weren't great when I graduated from uni in 2011, so I didn't apply for 2012 entry).

I considered applying for that course too though (the distance learning one?), I love the Forensic Psych stuff, although I am more interested in the policing side of things. But I'm veering towards another area at the moment, I think I've found the course I want to do most.

Good luck in September, let us know how the course is! :smile:
I'm just finishing an masters in counselling psychology (which is a counselling qualification rather than psychology) but am applying to do a conversion course through distance learning next year :smile:
Reply 3
I'm going to do Health Psychology MSc at Sussex University.
Reply 4
MSc in Clinical Applications at Warwick! Exciting :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by kmckenzie3
MSc in Clinical Applications at Warwick! Exciting :smile:

I just finished my undergrduate degree at Warwick :biggrin: Well done for getting on that course, it is very competitive!
Reply 6
I'm applying for a PHD at Liverpool, not even at the interview stage yet but I've got to be optimistic right?
Reply 7
Original post by ste_nick
I'm applying for a PHD at Liverpool, not even at the interview stage yet but I've got to be optimistic right?

I'm at the very very early stages of looking in to PhDs. How are you getting on? Have you started formulating a proposal?
Reply 8
I wrote a proposal around Christmas time but i wasn't really prepared, the opportunity came up so I thought i might as well apply but I had a lot of other stuff on at the time.

This time round I'm a lot more organised... it helps I'm applying for something which is closely related to my present masters dissertation.

I'm still very new to this though so hard to say if it's any good! Where are you looking at applying to?
Reply 9
MSc Forensic Psychology at the University of Kent. :dance:
Reply 10
I wrote a proposal around Christmas time but i wasn't really prepared, the opportunity came up so I thought i might as well apply but I had a lot of other stuff on at the time.

This time round I'm a lot more organised... it helps I'm applying for something which is closely related to my present masters dissertation.

I'm still very new to this though so hard to say if it's any good! Where are you looking at applying to?

I'm starting with Warwick and then will look further afield. I will be applying straight from undergrad to PhD (a long shot, I know!) but I'm hoping that with my academic history and any RA experience I manage to get this year that I will still be in with a chance. Someone from my class has secured a funded PhD studentship at Oxford whilst still doing her undergrad, so it is possible.
Reply 11
Original post by Bluth.
I'm starting with Warwick and then will look further afield. I will be applying straight from undergrad to PhD (a long shot, I know!) but I'm hoping that with my academic history and any RA experience I manage to get this year that I will still be in with a chance. Someone from my class has secured a funded PhD studentship at Oxford whilst still doing her undergrad, so it is possible.

Well that gives us all hope :smile:

There are some courses that will fund you to study for Masters and a PHD, a 3+1. I think that's a good option for undergrads.
Reply 12
Well that gives us all hope :smile:

There are some courses that will fund you to study for Masters and a PHD, a 3+1. I think that's a good option for undergrads.

Yeah that is definitely something I will look in to. How far did you get last year?
so after my undergrad I wanna do a MSc in Forensic Psychology atleast but I'm really worried about the fees, how are these sort of courses funded?
Reply 14
Original post by TitchTheAntiHero
so after my undergrad I wanna do a MSc in Forensic Psychology atleast but I'm really worried about the fees, how are these sort of courses funded?

Unless you have the money yourself, you take out a career development loan of up to £10,000
Original post by aliluvschoc
Unless you have the money yourself, you take out a career development loan of up to £10,000

is the loan yearly? cause the course I like the look of it 7k a year D:
Reply 16
is the loan yearly? cause the course I like the look of it 7k a year D:

You may only take it out once as far as I know, and you may only take out £10,000 or less. You start paying it back about two months after you graduate from your masters. I think it's a one year loan, I'm not sure what you'd do if you needed it for a longer course.

...it's a bit sucky. I got around it only because my parents have decided to move to Kent and I'm living with them, therefore don't need an extra £5500 for accommodation. I'm only taking out £5375 for course fees (they pay the university directly).

Masters courses have always been screwed when it comes to funding. I don't know how people afford the more expensive ones other than saving up their own money.
You may only take it out once as far as I know, and you may only take out £10,000 or less. You start paying it back about two months after you graduate from your masters. I think it's a one year loan, I'm not sure what you'd do if you needed it for a longer course.

...it's a bit sucky. I got around it only because my parents have decided to move to Kent and I'm living with them, therefore don't need an extra £5500 for accommodation. I'm only taking out £5375 for course fees (they pay the university directly).

Masters courses have always been screwed when it comes to funding. I don't know how people afford the more expensive ones other than saving up their own money.

looks like I'll be taking a few years off between under and post grad to save then, it sucks that it's like that when you need postgrad to get any professional psychology job :/
Reply 18
looks like I'll be taking a few years off between under and post grad to save then, it sucks that it's like that when you need postgrad to get any professional psychology job :/

It is annoying. All though if you do a research masters you may be able to get a research grant, just something to bear in mind.
It is annoying. All though if you do a research masters you may be able to get a research grant, just something to bear in mind.

I suppose I could look down that route but the practice routejust appeals so much more!
oh well, undergrad may change my mind thanks for the help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest