The Student Room Group

PostGrad Psychology Students 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by TitchTheAntiHero
looks like I'll be taking a few years off between under and post grad to save then, it sucks that it's like that when you need postgrad to get any professional psychology job :/

Thats not 100% true as I got my current post with only voluntary experience and my undergraduate degree when I first started.

Although the masters helps and are worth doing just because they are a good research element of academia to have, not all psychology-related jobs require a masters as essential criteria.
Original post by DeepStar
Thats not 100% true as I got my current post with only voluntary experience and my undergraduate degree when I first started.

Although the masters helps and are worth doing just because they are a good research element of academia to have, not all psychology-related jobs require a masters as essential criteria.

do you mind me asking what you do?
thats very exciting! everyones been telling me you need postgrad and that undergrad is pointless etc etc
Reply 22
Original post by Bluth.
Yeah that is definitely something I will look in to. How far did you get last year?

I didn't apply last year, I went into a work scheme after my degree then decided I wanted to have a go at being a professional psychologist. So i applied for a Masters around August, was very lucky to get accepted so last minute!

Would recommend a Masters if your not successful with PHD's this year, the people you meet and the research experience you get is really good for going on to a PHD I think.
Reply 23
Original post by TitchTheAntiHero
do you mind me asking what you do?
thats very exciting! everyones been telling me you need postgrad and that undergrad is pointless etc etc

I'm an assistant psychologist in a female prison since I graduated last year and my only experience before this was on a voluntary basis during my degree.

I am going to do masters this year but more to add to the research element on my application.

Postgrad helps and you should do it for other reasons than just to get a clinically relevant role - if you use your time during undergrad wisely then that alone will give you a stepping stone to a paid job but more importantly, a clinically relevant job once you have graduated.

Quick Reply

Latest