Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Brother's friend made a comment about religion

Announcements Posted on

Anon please or delete.
    I am a christian and so is my younger brother who is 11. He has a friend from school who is a muslim. My brother has just informed me that his muslim friend has told him that his dad said that all christians will go to hell.
    I'm a bit concerned because my brother has tried to get this boy's phone number (they're going to different schools soon) so that they can keep in contact, this boy has asked his parents who have refused. It's a shame they can't stay in contact because they've been friends all the time that they have been at school. Is there anything I can do about this?
    My brother got into trouble about a month ago for calling the boy a hurtful name (he didn't know it was hurtful) but I suppose it was interpreted as being related to his religion (islam) Should I contact the school about the boy's comment? It was hurtful to my brother because religion is important to him.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No. Christians believe non-Christians (that includes muslims) will go to hell so what's the problem? I smell hypocrisy.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Should I contact the school about the boy's comment?
    No. Nobody likes a snitch. Especially when they haven't done anything.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frankie_say_relax)
    No. Christians believe non-Christians (that includes muslims) will go to hell so what's the problem? I smell hypocrisy.
    Regardless in this situation her brother has not told his friend that he'll go to hell and has made it clear he wants to stay in contact with this boy despite their religious differences. Her family seem to have no problems with their son being friends with a Muslim, his family clearly has a problem with their son being friends with a non- Muslim. Hardly being an hypocrite when you yourself haven't stated such beliefs or gone round telling people they'll go to hell cause they are not part of your religion.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Firstly I don't really see the point in contacting the school because you've written that the boy said his dad told him that - which makes it seem like he was just reiterating something he heard (reported speech) as opposed to insulting your brother directly.

Secondly, they're eleven and it's the end of the year. They're going o different schools and probably won't see each other again so I thinking making an issue is pointless.

Thirdly, why do you want your brother to stay in contact with a boy who you believe has insulted him? I wouldn't encourage the friendship if I felt the same way.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    If the boys parents pick him up from school, maybe have a word with them or your parents?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's a shame they can't stay in contact because they've been friends all the time that they have been at school. Is there anything I can do about this?
    Yes the best thing to do to keep their friendship is to do what you just said
    Should I contact the school about the boy's comment?
    NOT. Seriously you want your brother to keep his friendship with the boy, but also want to grass that same boy up to the school :confused:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bull****. Christians are a huge group of people that encompasses many God-based religions. Catholics believe that all non-Catholics will go to hell, that includes, Protestants, Anglicans, Methodists, Plymouth brethren and all other Christians too, however the rest of us teach and practice tolerance of all other religions, whether you worship, God, Allah, Buddha or ****ing Master Yoda.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hippieglitter)
    Bull****. Christians are a huge group of people that encompasses many God-based religions. Catholics believe that all non-Catholics will go to hell, that includes, Protestants, Anglicans, Methodists, Plymouth brethren and all other Christians too, however the rest of us teach and practice tolerance of all other religions, whether you worship, God, Allah, Buddha or ****ing Master Yoda.
    Your book still explicitly states several times that everyone who is not a Christian and does not accept Jesus Christ will go to hell.

It also states that:

All homosexuals should be killed
    Anyone who has an affair should be killed
    Anyone who works on a Sunday should be killed

The bible preaches a lot of things, but tolerance isn't one of them. You can thank modern secular society for the attitudes of 'moderate' or 'liberal' religious thinkers.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Old School)
    Your book still explicitly states several times that everyone who is not a Christian and does not accept Jesus Christ will go to hell.

It also states that:

All homosexuals should be killed
    Anyone who has an affair should be killed
    Anyone who works on a Sunday should be killed

The bible preaches a lot of things, but tolerance isn't one of them. You can thank modern secular society for the attitudes of 'moderate' or 'liberal' religious thinkers.
    Your comprehension of the Bible is lacking.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ryan_94)
    Your comprehension of the Bible is lacking.
    Not really. That's what it says. The fact that it's adherents work so hard to rationalize it and explain away the 'bad' bits shows how flawed the whole thing is.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    By that logic, absolutely everyone ever to have walked on the face of the Earth is destined to go to hell
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nightstar-27)
    Regardless in this situation her brother has not told his friend that he'll go to hell and has made it clear he wants to stay in contact with this boy despite their religious differences. Her family seem to have no problems with their son being friends with a Muslim, his family clearly has a problem with their son being friends with a non- Muslim. Hardly being an hypocrite when you yourself haven't stated such beliefs or gone round telling people they'll go to hell cause they are not part of your religion.
    And how is that? Just because I believe you're going to hell doesn't mean I don't want to be friends with you.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KrishanC93)
    By that logic, absolutely everyone ever to have walked on the face of the Earth is destined to go to hell
    Exactly.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by worker13)
    And how is that? Just because I believe you're going to hell doesn't mean I don't want to be friends with you.
    His family refuses to let their son take his number, do did you not read that part?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anon please or delete.
    I am a christian and so is my younger brother who is 11. He has a friend from school who is a muslim. My brother has just informed me that his muslim friend has told him that his dad said that all christians will go to hell.
    I'm a bit concerned because my brother has tried to get this boy's phone number (they're going to different schools soon) so that they can keep in contact, this boy has asked his parents who have refused. It's a shame they can't stay in contact because they've been friends all the time that they have been at school. Is there anything I can do about this?
    My brother got into trouble about a month ago for calling the boy a hurtful name (he didn't know it was hurtful) but I suppose it was interpreted as being related to his religion (islam) Should I contact the school about the boy's comment? It was hurtful to my brother because religion is important to him.
    That technically is in line with their religion, just as Christianity condemns those who do not follow it, so do other religions.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I should think that few Christians think like this. I'm Catholic, and don't think having a different religion should mean someone should go to hell. :/
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nightstar-27)
    His family refuses to let their son take his number, do did you not read that part?
    Sorry I didn't read that. I've got an eye infection so I'm wincing while reading from my left eye only.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by worker13)
    lol.

Because an eternity of unimaginable pain and suffering is totally something you want your friends to go through.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anon please or delete.
    To be fair regardless of what religion you come from, many children are taught that only their religion is right and every one else is wrong... Only they go to heaven and rest in hell

Of course this ideology changes as you get older.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5830

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 23, 2012
New on TSR

£50 in vouchers up for grabs!!!

Post a fun fact and quote in a member to win!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.