The Student Room Group

Graphic Design A Level

Could you guys tell me what you actually do for this? Is it difficult and would it be useful to do anything/buy anything beforehand (I'm taking it for AS next year and hopefully A2)? Thanks.
I've just been signed off of it today actually (so I don't have to continue it to A2!)

We basically just did mini assignments set by the teacher for coursework up until about April when we started the exam, set to us by the actual exam board.

Pretty much you're just showing development all the way through - your initial ideas, your gathering of photos, research of artists, prints you make from your photos, how you apply the prints onto products etc...I found it all very tedious after a while. If you're really into arty stuff like that and are willing to put the effort in, it'll be fine! I just became lazy with it - it's easy fo fall behind!

We didn't really need to buy anything, though watercolours, coloured pencils and the usual are useful at home. A digital camera will be a most definite, sometimes your school/college can you lend you them though. Photoshop/Illustrator are good programs for your computer to do Graphics work on aswell!

Any more questions, just ask! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Thatstudentdude
I've just been signed off of it today actually (so I don't have to continue it to A2!)

We basically just did mini assignments set by the teacher for coursework up until about April when we started the exam, set to us by the actual exam board.

Pretty much you're just showing development all the way through - your initial ideas, your gathering of photos, research of artists, prints you make from your photos, how you apply the prints onto products etc...I found it all very tedious after a while. If you're really into arty stuff like that and are willing to put the effort in, it'll be fine! I just became lazy with it - it's easy fo fall behind!

We didn't really need to buy anything, though watercolours, coloured pencils and the usual are useful at home. A digital camera will be a most definite, sometimes your school/college can you lend you them though. Photoshop/Illustrator are good programs for your computer to do Graphics work on aswell!

Any more questions, just ask! :smile:

Thanks so much! Also, how did you do most of your work? Was it computer based i'm guessing? Or some painting etc? Thanks again.
Original post by harrietx123x
Thanks so much! Also, how did you do most of your work? Was it computer based i'm guessing? Or some painting etc? Thanks again.

Mostly computer based because that was what I preferred. However early on it was essential to experiment with different media, so we did things such as screen printing, lino cuts, spray-painting stencils, watercolours...but as you get further into the course you can pick how you mainly want to work.
Reply 4
Original post by Thatstudentdude
Mostly computer based because that was what I preferred. However early on it was essential to experiment with different media, so we did things such as screen printing, lino cuts, spray-painting stencils, watercolours...but as you get further into the course you can pick how you mainly want to work.

Oh I see! Thanks so much:smile:
What do you do in AS Graphics? What is it ?

Quick Reply

Latest