Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How Much Free Time At Sixth Form?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so in September I am going to start Sixth Form and I was just wondering how much free time you have around Sixth Form and studying, as I currently play football for a Centre Of Excellence, which is a high standard of football and there is training for 2 hours, 3 times a week, and a match on a saturday which takes up most of the day, and i'm thinking this would be too much along with school work and if needs be I will take a break from football as i find my education to be of more importance :L I will be studying English Language, Biology, French, Sport and Phsycology, although i may consider dropping one as 5 is a lot. I'm expected to get As and A*s in my GCSEs. So yeah, i'm just wondering how much free time you have.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KayleighPeters)
    Okay, so in September I am going to start Sixth Form and I was just wondering how much free time you have around Sixth Form and studying, as I currently play football for a Centre Of Excellence, which is a high standard of football and there is training for 2 hours, 3 times a week, and a match on a saturday which takes up most of the day, and i'm thinking this would be too much along with school work and if needs be I will take a break from football as i find my education to be of more importance :L I will be studying English Language, Biology, French, Sport and Phsycology, although i may consider dropping one as 5 is a lot. I'm expected to get As and A*s in my GCSEs. So yeah, i'm just wondering how much free time you have.
    it's usually slightly different between schools/colleges but if you do 5, you will have no free periods.
    when I did mine, I did 4 at AS and I had 1 subject's worth of frees - so about 5 frees a week. However you'll find that you need these to do work in and all the other things you need to sort out so most of them aren't 'free'.
    I had a pretty busy schedule but I worked better that way - if you're under too much pressure then drop one. I did 4 alongside lacrosse practise and canoeing 5 times a week, and music lessons. So if you manage your time well you should be fine.
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well I doubt you'll have many frees doing 5 subjects, my friend that does 5 only has 1 per week but it would depend on your college.

For most of the year I do minimal work during the week, then do all my homework on Saturday or if it's in during the week I'll just do it as soon as I get it. Sunday I'm out most of the day refereeing so I don't do anything then. I can manage this as I don't get given any essays, just worksheets which are pretty quick to do if I know what I'm doing. I'm basing this entirely on what people at my own college get given, but for French and Eng Lang they get given **** loads of work a week.

I wouldn't give up football if I was you, as you must have worked pretty hard to get where you are :dontknow: I would just do 4 subjects if I were you, as you don't seem too sure about doing 5 anyway.

However, you've got to do what you want to do. Talk to a few teachers and look at the syllabus for each of your subjects to see if you'd cope. GCSEs aren't really an indicator, I didn't get the best results but I'm doing a lot better than some people who got all A/A*s
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the school. In Year 12 I had 9 frees a week and in Year 13 I had 13 frees a week. If I spent even half of those doing school work, I pretty much never had to work at home.

That said, I did anyway.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have no free periods. After school and weekends are spent procrastinating.

I don't think you'll need to give up football. Or anything really, you'll just need to use your time more efficiently.

I'm sure you'll be fine if you work smart, I didn't getvalll A/A* grades at gcse but I'm doing well now.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Im doing AS and have currently got 13.5hrs a week free, it does get boring after a while.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I did 5 subjects and had 3 frees a week.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Too much.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    nill.nada.zero.
    I sometimes squeezed about 3-4 hours a day in between october and july, but my study wasn't very efficient or something, so ended up with average A's. I did a full A level in maths, with 3 AS levels in art, physics and biology (so had the potential for an A*).
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    3 hours a week time off.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I had quite a bit but because I found my subjects hard this was always reduceded to studying so from about 12ish hours free i think I had 1 hour a week where work wasnt the main concern for my free's.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Honestly I recommend doing 4 AS levels then continuing 3 onto A2. If you do that you will pretty much have quite a lot of free time. But that said ask yourself do you want A*s or Ds. Organise your time well and you should survive everything sixth form throws at you.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I do 5 a/s classes and have around 5 hours free a week (my friend does 4 and has 8 hours, it all depends!)
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    If you were at my college and you did 5 AS subjects you would get no frees at all and they've already started to prove invaluable, unless you're really passionate, just do 4.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 13 and have 6 hours free a week excluding all the mere 15 minute breaks which are pointless in my opinion. In year 12 my time table was messed up and i had way too much free time that i actually skipped some of my lessons because i couldn't be bothered waiting for my next lesson. This year it's not as bad though 4 hours on Monday and 2 hours on Friday. 4 Hours is enough to get tons done and if i finish work early or have nothing to do i usually go to the library and read the newspaper and/or read a novel.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Am in Year 12 and I do four AS levels, with four frees a week and then I have an extended project lesson for one or two of them: so 2-3 frees a week
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    3-5 hours a week!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 24, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.