Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Having a fancy mobile phone

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi all

I am just wondering if anyone out their in this day and age of where what you have and how you look is so important, not bothered at all about having an expensive mobile phone in their pocket??
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Mobile phones are primarily expensive due to, usually, a better processor/camera/connections/battery life and other innovative ideas like the S3 offers with Smart Stay etc.

Design, and looks, is usually a bonus. Most people don't buy an expensive phone because it looks good - although I think a lot of Apple buyers simply do it because they want to look cool because they have the latest technology, even when spec wise it's not the best out in the market.

And anyway, if prices are high peoples views immediately jump to the fact that it's a better phone. So, cheap phones = people think it's not as good or well designed
    Expensive phones = inflates peoples views on the phone

Plus you can always taken out insurance etc. on the phone.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't consider my iPhone to be a fancy mobile phone.... just a normal one.
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather one fancy phone then carry a **** phone, an mp3 player, a digital camera, a map book, a radio, a mobile WiFi hotspit, a tablet, a compass, a GPS unit and a hand held console.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have no need for a smartphone hence I don't have one.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    I'd rather one fancy phone then carry a **** phone, an mp3 player, a digital camera, a map book, a radio, a mobile WiFi hotspit, a tablet, a compass, a GPS unit and a hand held console.
    either take tablet out of there, or shorten the list to, crap phone, and a tablet.
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beaver_tron)
    either take tablet out of there, or shorten the list to, crap phone, and a tablet.
    No. My reason being I wouldnt use a tablet for much aside from web browsing. Certainly not as a camera (unwieldy), mp3 player / radio (wont fit in a pocket), maps or GPS (look like a right knob). Perhaps I'd go for a 3g tab instead of a WiFi hotspot. Gaming on tabs...hmmmm... I only really play puzzle or word games on a phone... Touch screens are **** controllers so I'd still want a handheld for that.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't bother with fancy mobiles anymore. I remember a few years back when the D500 was the must-have phone. Nowadays, though they're much powerful, all phones look practically the same - don't really get that buzz off anything
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm 28 years old and i belive that a phone is for ringing on nothing else. I dont dislike blackberrys etc i think there really cool but i dont have a real need for one and i dont see the point in owning one unless its for work . I love my £10 phone and will not upgrade unless its absolutley nessecary .
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    i dont need a fancy mobile... infact my spare is an old nokia that i love dearly and is about 4 or 5 years old maybe. infact i orriginally got that because i wanted a simple phone that had buttons, no flip screen or push up or touch or anything, so i couldnt break it...

but i got my new phone because i was going on contract, it was cheap and i quite liked it, but i still often go back to basics with my old phone...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have some crappy, average samsung touch-screen that I got for "free" when I bought a PS3 years ago.

That being said though I'm actually deciding whether to get a Blackberry or iPhone. I do a bunch of crap online and keep in touch with a ton of people, and my phone isn't capable of going online or using messengers and stuff like that.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I like using my iphone only because of internet so that I don't use my laptop so often for studies

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd happily use a 50 quid Nokia instead of my Galaxy S 1 if it meant paying 15 quid a month instead of the ridiculous 35 or whatever I'm paying at the moment. At the end of the day it's mainly used for calls and texts, and you can get social networking functions and reasonable cameras on cheaper phones now.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frazeled)
    I'm 28 years old and i belive that a phone is for ringing on nothing else.
    Agreed, phones should be used only for calling, period.

However, I've been trying these new handheld computers for a while. As it turns out, not only do they support browsers and media players, but they can also call and sms people! How cool is that?!
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beaver_tron)
    I cannot fit a tablet in my jeans pocket.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Don't care if its fancy it depends on how much its taking from my account each month when I'm on contract.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    My phone cast £10 and it's great! It is much more reliable than any of my friends expensive phones and the battery lasts at least a month when continuously used and switched on!

Hand on heart, I wouldn't swap it for a slave made iPhone.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiggyTopes)
    Hand on heart, I wouldn't swap it for a slave made iPhone.
    You do realise that your phone was probably made in exactly the same kind of conditions?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    You do realise that your phone was probably made in exactly the same kind of conditions?
    It was made by South Koreans and they don't have slaves.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 21, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.