The Student Room Group

'Locked-in syndrome' man's right-to-die case starts

Scroll to see replies

Can't we create a situation where he will be taking his own life? For example, he could tell a robot to kill him. That way, no one commits murder.
Sure it's been said, but here's my two cents:

The guy has a fully functioning mind.
His quality of life is through the floor.
There is no family involvement in this decision.

So where's the objection to setting a precedent for similar cases where the sufferer is of sound mind, making a decision alone and is in such horrid conditions?

Totally should be allowed euthanasia in that circumstance. If this guy isn't allowed, I feel protest and reformation coming.
Original post by thomaskurian89
Can't we create a situation where he will be taking his own life? For example, he could tell a robot to kill him. That way, no one commits murder.

It may not affect your ability to calculate but potentially deteriorates your standard of living to such a degree that there would be not point in performing the function in the initial instance. I would imagine creating a robot with the intent to kill would be tantamount to aiding and abetting at the very least or, otherwise, the robot would be designated a weapon (and not granted sapience, as you are doing), thus any kind of automated form of suicide would immediately put blame on the creator.

It may create some kind of schism or provoke thought if Mr. Nicklinson did find a way to take his own life however.
Reply 124
At the end of the day it is his decision what he does with his life, can't stand all these 'pro-life' people trying to enforce their views upon him he can do whatever he pleases give the poor man a break! Wishing him and his family the best of luck with their decision.
Original post by Taimmi
If I was in that position I would probably also want to die, to be honest. However, the practicalities of overturning a law like that are incredibly difficult to determine. What makes his case so difficult is that he would be able to end his own life if he had any other condition, but because the results of his stroke left him unable to do so, it means that anyone who helps him would be able to be charged for murder. Therefore if the law was changed it would be difficult to assess what could be murder and what could be assisted suicide.

Not necessarily so. There would be a slippier slope if anyone could help him than with physician assisted suicide with sufficient checks and examinations. There have been a few bills put through the House of Lords and Parliament about bringing in physician/doctor/professional assisted suicide and/or euthanasia following the high profile Pretty and Purdy cases.

This is a hugely divisive political minefield with any system being open to abuse and determining what exactly warrants euthanasia but given the number of prominent cases and push we are seeing to doing something other than forcing patients to just keep on 'living', I think we are on the verge of some significant shift in the law - sometime in the near future.
Original post by ANARCHY__
It may not affect your ability to calculate but potentially deteriorates your standard of living to such a degree that there would be not point in performing the function in the initial instance. I would imagine creating a robot with the intent to kill would be tantamount to aiding and abetting at the very least or, otherwise, the robot would be designated a weapon (and not granted sapience, as you are doing), thus any kind of automated form of suicide would immediately put blame on the creator.

It may create some kind of schism or provoke thought if Mr. Nicklinson did find a way to take his own life however.

I have a better idea: invent a robot that he can control with his mind. He can use it to feed his real body etc. and won't feel helpless anymore.
As miserable as Tony's life may be, I must say that I love his voice. It's so much cooler than Stephen Hawking's.
Individual, family and two doctors without conflict of interest assess right to die and grant or refuse as necessary. We have to sort this out soon, our medicine is so good now that less and less people will be dropping down stone dead, they will all be on life support. Many will lose their minds before their bodies too. And neurology is the one thing we're not really any good at, so there will be more Stephen Hawkings by proportion.
i wouldn't wanna live that long if i was in his shoes
Reply 130
I have no mouth, and I must scream.
Original post by GStevens
You just provide more evidence that you don't understand the issues each time you post.

Entirely false. As somebody beginning their medical degree in September, I have a keen interest in medical ethics and law. An important pillar of modern medicine is patient autonomy - "Voluntas aegroti suprema lex". I find it interesting that technically, a patient is allowed to refuse a treatment that may save their life and as such ensure their own death but directly choosing death is prohibited. Were I in the same room as this man - Tony Nicklinson - and there were means available to kill him humanely and painlessly and he so wished, I would have no moral qualms doing so.

It frustrates me intensely that decisions relating to medical philosophy are being made by blethering politicians that have more concern for their public image than for this poor man, whom they are condemning to a life he does not want.

They talk about opening the floodgates for people to kill off elderly relatives if euthanasia is legalised. This is wrong. The state of Oregon in the US has legalised euthanasia for over 10 years, in which time 400 people have made the decision to end their own lives. None have been mentally frail or at risk of coercion by relatives that stand to gain from their premature death. There are innumerable precautions taken to make sure that nothing shady is going on, and that the patient is of a fit mental state to make such a decision. Foul play is nigh impossible.

It's quite obviously less the will than the ability, but thank you for your contribution.

I hope this reply satisfies you. For future reference, lose the smug attitude. It will not serve you well in life.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Happydude
Entirely false. As somebody beginning their medical degree in September, I have a keen interest in medical ethics and law. An important pillar of modern medicine is patient autonomy - "Voluntas aegroti suprema lex". I find it interesting that technically, a patient is allowed to refuse a treatment that may save their life and as such ensure their own death but directly choosing death is prohibited. Were I in the same room as this man - Tony Nicklinson - and there were means available to kill him humanely and painlessly and he so wished, I would have no moral qualms doing so.

There now, isn't that better than: 'This doesn't even merit a discussion. Anybody opposing this man's sovereignty over his own body is a moron.'?

I really hope you are able to frame future ethical discussions rather better than 'you're a moron if you don't agree' but I'm not hopeful for your bedside manner.

'Listen up, ex mother, we need his organs and you're a moron if you wont let us have them.'

Don't forget that voluntas aegroti suprema lex may conflict with salus aegroti suprema lex, very little is cut and dried where medical ethics are concerned, despite your binary outlook.

It frustrates me intensely that decisions relating to medical philosophy are being made by blethering politicians that have more concern for their public image than for this poor man, whom they are condemning to a life he does not want.

Luckily they're not. There is a huge involvement from many quarters, including the medical profession, medical ethicists, medical lawyers, the church (an interested party which has far too much input but that's a seperate discussion) etc.

Your suggestion that this doesn't even merit discussion is both arrogant and naive. You have an excuse for one but not for the other. We have a complex legal system, it cannot just have a new law wedged into it somewhere without consideration of conflict with other laws or the possibil;ties of unintended consequences.

They talk about opening the floodgates for people to kill off elderly relatives if euthanasia is legalised. This is wrong. The state of Oregon in the US has legalised euthanasia for over 10 years, in which time 400 people have made the decision to end their own lives. None have been mentally frail or at risk of coercion by relatives that stand to gain from their premature death. There are innumerable precautions taken to make sure that nothing shady is going on, and that the patient is of a fit mental state to make such a decision. Foul play is nigh impossible.

Well done, you have obviously read my previous posts in this thread where exactly the same data was cited and the same points made.
Thank you for joining in.

I hope this reply satisfies you. For future reference, lose the smug attitude. It will not serve you well in life.

It does, at least a third of it was a respost of some of my earlier comments so I'm bound to be pleased.

Could I suggest that you lose your arrogance, you start a medical degree in Sept, well done. That does not mean that you are in a position to make absurd pronouncements that amount to 'I'm so right you can't even argue with me'. Getting a place at med school is something that thousands of other people have also done, be proud of yourself but perhaps not that proud. I rather think you trumped me on smugness.
There now, isn't that better than: 'This doesn't even merit a discussion. Anybody opposing this man's sovereignty over his own body is a moron.'?

No, because I know what I think and on this issue particularly I am rather fatigued. I have made this argument numerous times and it has begun to bore me.

Have a nice day.

P.S: I enjoy having debates with people, but once there is even a hint of personal animosity involved I am immediately disinterested. This is one of those cases.
(edited 11 years ago)
I could never understand wanting to die, but if it's what he wants then let him do it.
No, because I know what I think and on this issue particularly I am rather fatigued. I have made this argument numerous times and it has begun to bore me.

Oh, you poor dear. I can see where you're coming from though, we have of course all read your previous work on the subject.

P.S: I enjoy having debates with people,

But that quite obviously isn't true as your first post indicates and I can quite see why a debate might be a problem for you.

but once there is even a hint of personal animosity involved I am immediately disinterested. This is one of those cases.

It appears that you like to make little pronouncements but can't quite handle being challenged, especially when you are demonstrably wrong. It's not animosity that you retreat from, it's anyone who has the temerity to question your position. You come across like one of the tone deaf little darlings on X Factor, mummy has spent years telling you how wonderful you are and you have come to believe it. When you are confronted by the real world it's a bit of a wake up call. I guess that your 'lose the smugness' didn't really hint of animosity then.

You're going to find at uni that 'I already know the answer but I'm fatigued with the question so I'm not going to tell you' wont pass many exams.
Oh, you poor dear. I can see where you're coming from though, we have of course all read your previous work on the subject.

But that quite obviously isn't true as your first post indicates and I can quite see why a debate might be a problem for you.

It appears that you like to make little pronouncements but can't quite handle being challenged, especially when you are demonstrably wrong. It's not animosity that you retreat from, it's anyone who has the temerity to question your position. You come across like one of the tone deaf little darlings on X Factor, mummy has spent years telling you how wonderful you are and you have come to believe it. When you are confronted by the real world it's a bit of a wake up call. I guess that your 'lose the smugness' didn't really hint of animosity then.

You're going to find at uni that 'I already know the answer but I'm fatigued with the question so I'm not going to tell you' wont pass many exams.

I have no idea what your personal vendetta against me is, but it isn't making you look very good. I really don't know what I've done to upset you as much as I seem to have. I've said my piece and argued my corner on this topic, and I'm tired of entertaining your personal slander. I genuinely wish you well and good luck in whatever you do! :biggrin:
I have no idea what your personal vendetta against me is, but it isn't making you look very good. I really don't know what I've done to upset you as much as I seem to have. I've said my piece and argued my corner on this topic, and I'm tired of entertaining your personal slander. I genuinely wish you well and good luck in whatever you do! :biggrin:

My goodness, you're back.
No personal vendetta, it's not all about you, another real world lesson for you. All I have done is responded to your posts. The 'upset' tack is pretty poor, well worn and failry pointless.

You posted an arrogant and 'fatigued' comment to which I responded. You then came back with a couple of points which you somehow imagined settled the whole discussion. You obviously didn't like it when it was pointed out that a. there were holes in your argument and, b. you had repeated some comments that I had made earlier.

I'm sure you're a bright person but you need to a. be aware that your word is not the final word and, b. grow a skin, not everyone will bother to stroke your ego*.

*a big ego is one thing, self belief etc very useful in someone who might be called on to make life or death decisions, but an inflated ego is just a small ego blown up like a balloon and just as easily popped.

Luck in Sept.
Original post by thomaskurian89
I have a better idea: invent a robot that he can control with his mind. He can use it to feed his real body etc. and won't feel helpless anymore.

This would require fairly advanced robotics and I am inclined to believe that this would not drastically improve the quality of life. Instead of trying to find all manner of loopholes and solutions to why the patient in question should not die, perhaps we should come to the conclusion that we need to help, out of compassion and kindness, Mr. Nicklinson and others like him to die with dignity.
My goodness, you're back.
No personal vendetta, it's not all about you, another real world lesson for you. All I have done is responded to your posts. The 'upset' tack is pretty poor, well worn and failry pointless.

You posted an arrogant and 'fatigued' comment to which I responded. You then came back with a couple of points which you somehow imagined settled the whole discussion. You obviously didn't like it when it was pointed out that a. there were holes in your argument and, b. you had repeated some comments that I had made earlier.

I'm sure you're a bright person but you need to a. be aware that your word is not the final word and, b. grow a skin, not everyone will bother to stroke your ego*.

*a big ego is one thing, self belief etc very useful in someone who might be called on to make life or death decisions, but an inflated ego is just a small ego blown up like a balloon and just as easily popped.

Luck in Sept.

I'd take your advice, but I have no idea how successful you have been in life so it may not really be that useful. Cheers anyway! (Perhaps it would be more apt to say that I have no idea who are and what you are like, rather than how successful. That just seems shallow :smile: )

Also, incessantly patronising me doesn't stand you in good stead. :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending