The Student Room Group

A2 Law Problem!

Hello! I have my A2 law exam on Friday and it's the synoptic paper or the Criminal Special Study one that is usually done in January. I am hoping to get an A as I was just a couple of marks off an A in January, but I'm having problems with fully understanding conditional intent. I understand that conditional intent was clarified in Att. Gen. Ref which made it clear that an item doesn't need to be specified, but is conditional intent coupled with impossibility? as conditional intent is extremely similar to physical impossibility. I'm just confused when exactly to apply conditional intent. The only worry I have is with the problem questions as I find them quite confusing. Also, does it just apply to burglary and theft or can it apply to other parts of the law?
Here is a nice formula for the three 10 mark problem questions:
1. Define an attempt and link to source
2. define actus reus of attempt and link to source
3. state that whether the act is merely preparatory is a jury decision and link to source
4. state that Geddes test can be used to see if an attempt has been committed, link to source
5. apply the scenario
6. define mens rea of attempt and link to source
7. say that Whybrow held intention is principle ingredient of the crime and link to source
8a. if conditional intent comes into the question talk about AG Ref here.
8. apply scenario
9a. if impossibility is an issue define it and link to source
9b. use Shivpuri to say the intent is more important than the commission
9c. apply to scenario
9. conclude
As to you're query to conditional intent and impossibility- they are different things. Conditional intent is when you go with the intent to commit a set offence like theft i.e. Easom 1974: she specifically intended to commit the crime of stealing money from the purse. Impossibility is a crime that is well impossible i.e. Shivpuri- impossible to import vegetables that he believes to be drugs. It is complex to understand in an essay- all you'd really need is this:
"The final issue for mens rea is conditional intent. Prior to the commission of the Criminal Attempts Act, a person could put their hand in a bag, see if there was anything worth stealing and, if not, remove their hand and not be found criminally liable, as highlighted in Easom [1974]. This went against the statement and was rectified in the case of Husseyn [1977], however the Defendant got off here because it could not be proved that he had intended to commit the offence that he had been charged with on the charge sheet. Fortunately, this was rectified by the case of Attorney General’s Reference (number 1 and 2) 1979, which highlighted that conditional intent is sufficient for the mens rea of an attempt, thus satisfying the statement in question."

Quick Reply

Latest