Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Radiation Question

Announcements Posted on
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

Could someone please give me a detailed answer about the difference between irradiation and contamination?

I understand the concepts behind it, but can someone give me a detailed answer with some examples as I'm struggling to get my head around it

Thanks for all posts!
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    irradiation is when you are exposed to alpha beta or gamma radiation
    Contamination is when you actually get the material which is doing the emitting in contact with you - this will then lead to irradiation.

Contamination is much more dangerous since you will be continually exposed. For example you may breath in uranium dust if you work in a fuel rod factory. This will contaminate your lungs and lead to alpha irradiation.

If you walk past a beta emiiter you will be irradiated but your exposure will cease when you walk away.

Hope this makes it clearer.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teachercol)
    irradiation is when you are exposed to alpha beta or gamma radiation
    Contamination is when you actually get the material which is doing the emitting in contact with you - this will then lead to irradiation.

Contamination is much more dangerous since you will be continually exposed. For example you may breath in uranium dust if you work in a fuel rod factory. This will contaminate your lungs and lead to alpha irradiation.

If you walk past a beta emiiter you will be irradiated but your exposure will cease when you walk away.

Hope this makes it clearer.
    Yes it does, thanks so much!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 21, 2012
New on TSR

Strictly iPlayer

Will you still watch if some BBC programmes go online only?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.