The Student Room Group

Radiation Question

Hi everyone! :biggrin:

Could someone please give me a detailed answer about the difference between irradiation and contamination?

I understand the concepts behind it, but can someone give me a detailed answer with some examples as I'm struggling to get my head around it :s-smilie:

Thanks for all posts! :smile:
Reply 1
irradiation is when you are exposed to alpha beta or gamma radiation
Contamination is when you actually get the material which is doing the emitting in contact with you - this will then lead to irradiation.

Contamination is much more dangerous since you will be continually exposed. For example you may breath in uranium dust if you work in a fuel rod factory. This will contaminate your lungs and lead to alpha irradiation.

If you walk past a beta emiiter you will be irradiated but your exposure will cease when you walk away.

Hope this makes it clearer.
Reply 2
Original post by teachercol
irradiation is when you are exposed to alpha beta or gamma radiation
Contamination is when you actually get the material which is doing the emitting in contact with you - this will then lead to irradiation.

Contamination is much more dangerous since you will be continually exposed. For example you may breath in uranium dust if you work in a fuel rod factory. This will contaminate your lungs and lead to alpha irradiation.

If you walk past a beta emiiter you will be irradiated but your exposure will cease when you walk away.

Hope this makes it clearer.

Yes it does, thanks so much! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest