Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Going to the Dentist...

Announcements Posted on
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ok basically like anybody i, and i cannot stress this point enough, really really hate the Dentist and i've got a 3 hour session in a couple of days to have some major rework done on my crappy teeth :rolleyes: so does anyone have any tips on how to get through it without having a complete freak out and getting bored etc. ?
    Thank you
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    dentist are the worse as check ups can turn into fillings/tooth out etc

no advice but basically just man up nothing can be done about this but just try and be brave

may be try and ask for gas and air

gas and air makes the pain less brutal but more gas than air
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend who also hates the dentist; his dentist lets him listen to his iPod whilst having stuff done and apparently it's good at distracting him from what's actually happening. You could try that?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    You need to go regularly, otherwise this is going to be a common occurrence. When you say you hate the dentist, are you afraid of the dentist or do you just get pissed off with someone messing around with your teeth? I find the whole process irritating and tend to just listen to the music that they have playing or watch the tv they have on the ceiling. Take your iPod as someone already mentioned, or maybe ask them to have the radio on. And don't leave it so long next time!
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FelixFelicis)
    You need to go regularly, otherwise this is going to be a common occurrence. When you say you hate the dentist, are you afraid of the dentist or do you just get pissed off with someone messing around with your teeth? I find the whole process irritating and tend to just listen to the music that they have playing or watch the tv they have on the ceiling. Take your iPod as someone already mentioned, or maybe ask them to have the radio on. And don't leave it so long next time!
    Yar she said i can take the Ipod and gave me a royal rollicking for not seeing them sooner, apparently a 5year gap in visits wasnt the best move
    But a bit of both really i cant stand the drill, terrified of the damn thing ... and the pain; root canals hurt like a mofo! and also i just dont like people jabbing sharp objects in my mouth :rolleyes:
    haha yar i'll try not to leave it so long they did promise to dope me to the gills with valium though so should make the experience somewhat more tollerable, the list of treatments im due for though does read like a bloody shopping list, not good -_-
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cl_steele)
    Ok basically like anybody i, and i cannot stress this point enough, really really hate the Dentist and i've got a 3 hour session in a couple of days to have some major rework done on my crappy teeth :rolleyes: so does anyone have any tips on how to get through it without having a complete freak out and getting bored etc. ?
    Thank you
    Learn to fly and pull a superman and turn back time. Then brush your teeth properly.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I had 3 root canals operations done on my teeth and I can safely say it was the most painful experience of my life, I had 0 pain killers aswell.

On the last one I decided to have few drinks before hand to reduce the pain, but it only made me sweat more and pain was the same...

Good luck
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I hate the dentist too, I think it was from a traumatic experience where the dentist hammered some iron rods into one of my teeth. I'm sure there are dentists which cater to people with phobias so they will be more careful and make sure you are more comfortable.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you can still feel anything, you've not had enough anaesthetic. That's my working theory and my dentist goes along with it. Had three injections once for a root canal, the damn fool was trying to do the procedure after one, having none of that
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    i truly hate going to the dentist as well ive never had a three hour session before, but i usually listen to my ipod when i go to distract myself, and when i was younger and had to have teeth taken out, they'd let me watch a DVD on the little tv above the chair. maybe you could ask them to do that for you?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've left my dentist, I think I can take care of my own teeth

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5830
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StudentonTSR)
    Oh really? Are you going to give yourself a filling or root canal treatment?
    I won't need a filling if i avoid it from the first place
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cl_steele)
    Yar she said i can take the Ipod and gave me a royal rollicking for not seeing them sooner, apparently a 5year gap in visits wasnt the best move
    But a bit of both really i cant stand the drill, terrified of the damn thing ... and the pain; root canals hurt like a mofo! and also i just dont like people jabbing sharp objects in my mouth :rolleyes:
    haha yar i'll try not to leave it so long they did promise to dope me to the gills with valium though so should make the experience somewhat more tollerable, the list of treatments im due for though does read like a bloody shopping list, not good -_-
    HAHA! 5 years! No wonder. Yeah, I understand the whole anxiety thing behind going to the dentist. My mums the same. Hates injections and is very afraid of the dentist. I actually had a root canal today, and let me tell you, it isn't painful at all. If the dentist has given you enough anaesthetic (I had three injections) then you won't feel a thing. Even now, after it has worn off, I can't feel any pain. So don't take anyones word for it that it's going to be painful, because they may just be complete wimps. Or I could be superwoman, which isn't likely
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I had to get an emergency dental appointment today because I was in such pain from an exposed nerve in my tooth; it was utterly painless. Had to have nerve taken out and temporary filling put in, but it didn't hurt one bit after the anaesthetic (slightly pinchy when she was actually working on the nerve, but not actually painful). I would have to agree that if it really hurts then your dentist hasn't given you enough anaesthetic.

The most uncomfortable bit the whole time was actually having to put up with breakfast TV showing in the waiting room because I'd been up with pain since half past 4 and it was so irritating; you'd thought they'd cotton onto the fact that a room full of tired people with toothache are in no mood to watch loud breakfast chit-chat (including an interview with Dolly Parton and Rod Gilbert) that early in the morning!

I haven't been to the dentist in ages (got away without a lecture today though luckily ) and the agony of last night is where it's brought me, so finding a dentist to put a permanent filling in and carry out my list of repairs that need doing is my job for tomorrow; just think how good it will be when it's all done!
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FelixFelicis)
    HAHA! 5 years! No wonder. Yeah, I understand the whole anxiety thing behind going to the dentist. My mums the same. Hates injections and is very afraid of the dentist. I actually had a root canal today, and let me tell you, it isn't painful at all. If the dentist has given you enough anaesthetic (I had three injections) then you won't feel a thing. Even now, after it has worn off, I can't feel any pain. So don't take anyones word for it that it's going to be painful, because they may just be complete wimps. Or I could be superwoman, which isn't likely
    yar i think i just have a jaded opinion as my last dentist didnt think to use enough of the novacaine and my my that did hurt also the fact theres two of them isnt too appealing either . teach me for not looking after them :rolleyes:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 20, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.