Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Retina MacBook Student Price?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys

can anyone tell me the % off od the price of the base spec new retina mac book pro please?

Im not at uni so cant find it and the general educational store pricing isnt accurate to the uni education price.

Thanks for any help!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    £1,528.80
    • 58 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InfernoUk)
    Hey guys

can anyone tell me the % off od the price of the base spec new retina mac book pro please?

Im not at uni so cant find it and the general educational store pricing isnt accurate to the uni education price.

Thanks for any help!
    Entry level: £1528.80
    Upper model: £1953.60
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Seriously for that sort of money, you can get a MUCH better laptop. Waste of money in my opinion.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by judicious)
    Seriously for that sort of money, you can get a MUCH better laptop. Waste of money in my opinion.
    Please provide the link, if you are so omniscient. This is the best laptop there is and probably will be for at least 6 months. Light, powerful, best screen in a 15-inch laptop on the market. Unfortunately also "a bit pricey".
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chazzer66)
    Please provide the link, if you are so omniscient. This is the best laptop there is and probably will be for at least 6 months. Light, powerful, best screen in a 15-inch laptop on the market. Unfortunately also "a bit pricey".
    Configuring similar spec laptops would be cheaper; this is a fact. I concede that the display is unrivalled but that's it; the other specs are nothing special and you are paying a lot of money just because it's a macbook.

I'm not going to argue because it's usually very difficult to have a debate with apple lovers and the negative rep I got for my previous post proves this.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Configuring similar spec laptops would be cheaper; this is a fact. I concede that the display is unrivalled but that's it; the other specs are nothing special and you are paying a lot of money just because it's a macbook.

I'm not going to argue because it's usually very difficult to have a debate with apple lovers and the negative rep I got for my previous post proves this.
    Yeah in terms of physical specifications of the GPU/Processor/Ram you're going to get the same performance for slightly less. However when you factor in the actual weight/form factor and the vastly superior laptop nothing comes close to it yet.

If you were to try get the closest possible specifications through an actual PC manufacturer rather than a BTO then it comes very close to the £1500 student price.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PVisitors)
    Yeah in terms of physical specifications of the GPU/Processor/Ram you're going to get the same performance for slightly less. However when you factor in the actual weight/form factor and the vastly superior laptop nothing comes close to it yet.

If you were to try get the closest possible specifications through an actual PC manufacturer rather than a BTO then it comes very close to the £1500 student price.

Well that's the thing; for people looking for performance, weight and looks are usually not high on the list of priorities but as I said it was my opinion so each to their own I suppose.
    • 58 followers

ReputationRep:

First off, it wasn't me that neg'd you.

However I'm inclined to disagree on it being a complete waste of money. In terms of raw performance, you're right, there are going to be more powerful options for the money. However as an overall package, between the display, volume of Flash storage, top end Ivybridge CPUs, the aluminium unibody and the sheer engineering involved to reach the dimensions it gets, I would be inclined to say it's not too horrific a price for what you get if your wallet can withstand such a raping and you can actually make use of everything it has to offer in a professional sense.

This is all pretty moot until a competitor is launched with a similar configuration of specs, display and build since it really lies in a class of its own in terms of the niches it meets, though. There's nothing quite like it to act as a benchmark by which we can measure.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    First off, it wasn't me that neg'd you.

However I'm inclined to disagree on it being a complete waste of money. In terms of raw performance, you're right, there are going to be more powerful options for the money. However as an overall package, between the display, volume of Flash storage, top end Ivybridge CPUs, the aluminium unibody and the sheer engineering involved to reach the dimensions it gets, I would be inclined to say it's not too horrific a price for what you get if your wallet can withstand such a raping and you can actually make use of everything it has to offer in a professional sense.

This is all pretty moot until a competitor is launched with a similar configuration of specs, display and build since it really lies in a class of its own in terms of the niches it meets, though. There's nothing quite like it to act as a benchmark by which we can measure.
    Think this sums it up exceptionally well.

Indeed, that is what Apple offer, to paraphrase Jobs (god I feel too fan boyish now!) "tomorrows technology, today". Give it a year or so and there should be numerous windows manufacturers producing what the MBPR offers (or at least similar) at the moment, and at a lower price.

Right now, the MBPR isn't "over-priced" but I wouldn't say it is underpriced or average. It's slightly above average which is what you expect from a Mac. But when you compare to the actual Mac lineup, it's a very very competitive price.

The MBPR is an amazing piece of hardware and design, I can't wait to see how the competition adapt to it and if they can offer the same sort of package.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd buy it if I have the money. I got normal macbook atm :P
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Entry level: £1528.80
    Upper model: £1953.60
    Is that roughly a 15% discount on the standard price?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UKiwi)
    Indeed, 14-15%.
    • 58 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UKiwi)
    Yeah, 15% more or less.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    cheers for the help everyone, all sorted now

for the anti apple people, i didnt ask for your opinion. i am going to go out on a limb and say i know many times more about computers than any of you, ive run apple laptops for 6 years with no problems whilst my friends cry over their broken dells that were meant to outperform my mac.

Ferrari dosent suck because the ford fiesta has 4 wheels and gets you to the same destination in the same time...

edit: just re read the thread, didnt see it was only 1 guy moaning, expected more. cheers for the responses guys
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Yeah, 15% more or less.
    Is 15% the standard student/education discount for Macbook Pro/Air's if you're going to university?
    • 58 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UKiwi)
    Is 15% the standard student/education discount for Macbook Pro/Air's if you're going to university?
    Yeah 14-15% is across the board.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Yeah 14-15% is across the board.
    Cheers for the responses.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 20, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.