The Student Room Group

AQA A2 CHEM5 19th June 2012 [Post exam feedback]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.....

Cya Sheffield...

I revised so hard for this mofo exam. I memorised every single complex from day ONE. Yet my amazingggg memory decided to let me down and I had the biggest mental block of my life. I definitely agree with Josh1993, with "It was not so much as hard just different"...very true. I'm just a freakin idiot.

Needed a fairly high A in this paper for an A overall...thats out the question =( good thing is I only need a high U for a B. But after this paper, I'm having doubts about that U...

I FEEL LIKE CRYING! XD
Reply 81
This was such a hard paper. Much harder than anything we've ever had to do before- the questions were asked in a really strange way and some of them were worded a bit odd. If the boundaries don't go down then looking at the comments of most people most of us are screwed :frown: they should go down by 2-3 marks at least. i reckon something in the high 60's will get an A, and around 60 will be just enough for a B. Although anything lower would be a massive bonus! :biggrin:

However to be honest exam boards have been attracting a lot of criticism in recent months for awarding the highest marks far too easily- I heard that the Physics Unit 5 paper yesterday morning was a complete pig too. Maybe it's just their way of toughening things up, and a way of differentiating the best candidates from those who learn things in parrot fashion? Maybe they're out to show people that they are setting tough exams. I really have no idea. :frown: which is why that may have been a bit of a reality check for all of us.

I also heard one that a different examiner has written this paper compared with ones in the past, so maybe that has something to do with it.

I need 100/120 without an improvement on unit 4 for an A overall- and i think that went really well.....it's just a case of how well it went :frown:
Reply 82
Original post by jacky1
anyone think they've lost their chance of med school.
I do.

ME! so upset about it!!!
Reply 83
SAW THIS IN FACEBOOK THING ITS A GUD IDEA----

I write to complain about the CHEM5 2012 paper which I sat on the 19th of June 2012. This paper was completely different to all past papers that you have published and deviated from the specification more dramatically than any paper in the past. Many of my peers and I need a good grade in this paper so as to achieve our offers for university. I, and a considerable number of my peers, feel that the fact that this paper was considerably harder than previous ones and this is unfair to students since we rely on the past papers to be at least partially indicative of future papers. As far as I am aware, the specification remains unchanged therefore I fail to understand why this paper was so much harder and so different from previous ones. I hope you are able to answer my concerns.

EXAMPLE EMAIL - sent similar ones- or copy this one to [email protected]..
Reply 84
Original post by alan-93
chloride is not yellow, it forms pink solution with cobalt. I got full 12 marks in the question btw, it was just memorising the facts!

How would you know that? Dont count your eggs before they hatch!
Reply 85
Reply 86
Original post by Jemimah7
ME! so upset about it!!!

go on the gce chemistry grading system on aqa, if your goin to do med im guessing youve got good grades so far in the other exams, so you probs dont need as high as you think to get an A overall!

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
lets inform the BBC, that way it will national coverage and AQA will have the grade boundaries extremely low. so to get an A you would just have to get 60 marks. :smile:
*it will gain
Reply 89
Original post by Shalo1
Medicines just a thing of the past for me after that exam.
Walked out of it and headed straight towards my Head of Sixth's office to talk about resitting the year.

Feel LIVID

Think iv lost about 20 Marks coz I just didn't know what to do and that's not including silly mistakes, or the ones I didn't have time to go back and look at.

WHAT IS LIFE?! really tho? :'(

I feel EXACTLY the same! Doing past papers i have been getting in the high 90%'s with plenty of time left. But i feel like i havn't even scraped a C! So upset because ive worked so hard! Dont give up on medicine though!
Reply 90
Original post by jacky1
HELL. aqa have SCREWED it up for me, i was SO lucky to get that place at liverpool, asdijhkasl and it was for AAB!!! but the b was for spanish which was the only one that went well!!!

You got an AAB offer jacky!! Thats amazing! :frown: I got 3 A's :frown:
Reply 91
Original post by missjunaid786
lets inform the BBC, that way it will national coverage and AQA will have the grade boundaries extremely low. so to get an A you would just have to get 60 marks. :smile:

start doing it and let us know if our signature or whatever is needed
YES, that was my last chemistry, and indeed, last AQA exam I have to do!

NO, I probably failed it!

:mad:
Reply 93
Original post by alan-93
chloride is not yellow, it forms pink solution with cobalt. I got full 12 marks in the question btw, it was just memorising the facts!

well apparently not since C0Cl4 2- is blue
What did people get for the oxidation state Qs, and the equation of the battery after it was "charged"? This question confused me, i interpreted it as "charging" so i did the reverse of the normal equation but i think i'm wrong.
Reply 95
The paper was probably the easiest out of the ones I've done, it was just more application than regurgitating facts, which isn't real what science is about.
Reply 96
Original post by SuburbanKnight
This exam was not as difficult as you're all making out. Admittedly not as easy as some past exams but 12marks were available for a very easy Cobalt compounds question. As for the final question, it was a case of applying knowledge from other catalyst equations and balancing them. Probably looking at around 78 for an A*

If you found the paper easy then thats good for you :biggrin: but given the situation at hand, where loads people are now stressing about uni places etc, your opinion/comment is not really helping..i accept your opinion as valid or whatever, but i just dont think its 'nice' to get people more stressed, especially for the sake of 'trolling', if thats what you were trying to achieve.

And this goes out to anyone else doing this, its just not necessary..
Reply 97
Original post by matty35
The paper was probably the easiest out of the ones I've done, it was just more application than regurgitating facts, which isn't real what science is about.

You thought that it was the easiest?!?!?!?! tell me the answers!!! why couldnt you use sodium to neutralise that thingy??
Reply 98
Original post by chesa1
Good god you are such a stuck up knob!

nah he's right, it's usually too easy to get A's and A*'s people who don't even understand chemistry can get A's in it normally which is stupid
Reply 99
Original post by studentofskhs
What did people get for the oxidation state Qs, and the equation of the battery after it was "charged"? This question confused me, i interpreted it as "charging" so i did the reverse of the normal equation but i think i'm wrong.

I think i wrote +3 for the oxidation state of Nickel? Im not too sure though. And as for the equation. You just do it like normal except it is the reverse reaction because its recharging.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending