The Student Room Group

iPad or Laptop?

Im starting uni in september, doing a teaching course i need a laptop or something to do my work on. I would really love an ipad, but im not sure about how the software works- would i be able to make a word document and transfer it between the ipad and a normal computer. How do you print off one too, ive been told you need a special sort of printer. The best things about the ipad is its so light and easy to use plus my phone is apple so itll be compatable.

what does everyone think? whats the best thing to have and what sort of money am i looking at? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'd say stick with a good old fashinloned laptop. The iPads too gimmiky, the GF's got one and from what i can tell its just like a larger version of my ipod touch, she doesn't use it for work purposes as it simply doesn't have the software on it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Well I got an iPad and I think I'll be using it for like in the uni yet if I have to do like an essay then I'm going to use a net book because it's all I would need it for

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 3
I wouldn't fancy doing lots of typing on an iPad...
Reply 4
IPAD=/ computer. Its a toy, cant run real programs just apps. get both if you want. ;/
The iPad is both functional and compatible if you have a tonne of money to spend on things like Air print printers, Adapter cables, apps, cases etc. I found when making an English presentation last year on the iPad it was a pain transfering it to Windows with the animation in Keynote.
Reply 6
IPAD!!!!
If just one of the two, laptop. Definitely. I am lucky enough to have both, and there are quite a few things I cannot do on iPad.
Reply 8
Id go with a laptop or if you really want a tablet get an android one, a lot more compatible with other firms software than apples plus on several of them you have the ability to put in memory cards/usb etc so its no issue hot swapping work between machines :smile: but if its just between ipad/laptop id go with the laptop ... can easily get them cheaper plus they do a lot more.
Reply 9
If you want an iPad to use about campus and do work on the go, then that's a good idea, but tbh I have an iPad, and though it did replace my laptop, I still went off and bought a desktop computer because at the end of the day, when you are doing research and writing essays all at once, an iPad simply can't cut it.
Reply 10
what laptops would you recommend? i want it to be light cs i really cant be carrying something too heavy, but i like a decent size keyboard and screen.

i would like an ipad but seeing from this most people dont seem to find them as practical as id like them to be. which is a shame.
Reply 11
iPads aren't a gimmick as such but they're pure consuming devices, not something which can replace standard laptops/computers. Their lack of a physical keyboard and iOS holds them back for that. You won't be able to work effectively on an iPad for university compared to a laptop. You'll need both.

My advice? Ignore the iPad and buy a ultra book. Either a Windows ultra book with a SSD or a Macbook Air (still the best on the market but more expensive).
Reply 12
Original post by Laura4692
what laptops would you recommend? i want it to be light cs i really cant be carrying something too heavy, but i like a decent size keyboard and screen.

i would like an ipad but seeing from this most people dont seem to find them as practical as id like them to be. which is a shame.

What's your budget?
Reply 13
errrr at the moment money isnt really a problem; if i know something will last me and work well im willing to pay say up to £800 but if i can get something that does the job equally as well for less then thats always the better option. ive got a toshiba an old model and i really love that im using it now, never had any problems really i was thinking at looking at updated versions of this. not too sure. im not an expert and dont know much, wondering what people think. and what they use.
Reply 14
Im starting uni in september, doing a teaching course i need a laptop or something to do my work on. I would really love an ipad, but im not sure about how the software works- would i be able to make a word document and transfer it between the ipad and a normal computer. How do you print off one too, ive been told you need a special sort of printer. The best things about the ipad is its so light and easy to use plus my phone is apple so itll be compatable.

what does everyone think? whats the best thing to have and what sort of money am i looking at? :smile:

I think of an ipad as a convenient platform for consuming documents generated by someone else. Generating your own content needs a proper computer.

It may not affect you, but anyone who needs to write maths or draw should try to get a tablet PC, with pen (instead of, or in addition to) finger-touch input. Dual-format ones convert into a traditional laptop as well - a good one can replace a desktop pc and an ipad, without the complications of getting the two to communicate, as well as allowing input with a pen, which is invaluable for mathematicians and artists. They are heavier than an ipad, but not massively so, and you get so, so, so much more.

There is a price premium over a standard laptop, but for mathematicians and artists, the advantages are so great that it's worth considering a second-hand tablet pc over a new ordinary laptop.
Reply 15
errrr at the moment money isnt really a problem; if i know something will last me and work well im willing to pay say up to £800 but if i can get something that does the job equally as well for less then thats always the better option. ive got a toshiba an old model and i really love that im using it now, never had any problems really i was thinking at looking at updated versions of this. not too sure. im not an expert and dont know much, wondering what people think. and what they use.

In that case I really do recommend an ultrabook. It will be as light as thin as an iPad but offer more uses and power. Don't bother with HDDs though, buy one with an SSD (especially if you're going to be spend up to £800) as this is what will make the computer feel snappier.

What will you be doing with the laptop/tablet? If we're talking general use for university like browsing/word processing then ultra books are fantastic for it due to the huge speed increases of having a SSD over hard drives. You can get the 11" Macbook Air with student discount for £800 (or the 13" version for £859). And then for the windows ultrabooks they're naturally cheaper (just fall down on some issues like trackpad SSD speed/battery etc).

Of course you could always go for a standard laptop which will offer you a more powerful processor but lose out the SSD (which makes it feel faster for general use case of browsing/word processing) and the portability.
Reply 16
Original post by PVisitors
In that case I really do recommend an ultrabook. It will be as light as thin as an iPad but offer more uses and power. Don't bother with HDDs though, buy one with an SSD (especially if you're going to be spend up to £800) as this is what will make the computer feel snappier.

What will you be doing with the laptop/tablet? If we're talking general use for university like browsing/word processing then ultra books are fantastic for it due to the huge speed increases of having a SSD over hard drives. You can get the 11" Macbook Air with student discount for £800 (or the 13" version for £859). And then for the windows ultrabooks they're naturally cheaper (just fall down on some issues like trackpad SSD speed/battery etc).

Of course you could always go for a standard laptop which will offer you a more powerful processor but lose out the SSD (which makes it feel faster for general use case of browsing/word processing) and the portability.

Im not sure what you mean by the HDD and SSD what are the differences? I will be using it for uni while im there taking notes, doing my assignments, im doing a teaching course so ill be using more word processor etc. i just want something quick, reliable and lightweight. :biggrin:
Reply 17
Im not sure what you mean by the HDD and SSD what are the differences? I will be using it for uni while im there taking notes, doing my assignments, im doing a teaching course so ill be using more word processor etc. i just want something quick, reliable and lightweight. :biggrin:

SSD is the new form of storage. It's significantly faster than the old drives. When you look at them it will say SSD (and if it doesn't look for around 128-256gb, as this is the levels of storage they provide). An SSD is around 2x (sometimes even 3x faster) than a normal drive which you probably have in your current PC. It allows for very fast booting speeds (around 12-15 seconds on the Macbook Airs), faster opening of applications, faster saving of documents and opening files. So a standard drive might take 4 seconds to open Firefox, the SSD will do it in around 1 second.

If you're only doing word processing/browsing and for travelling/taking it to lectures then that is fundamentally what ultrabooks are designed for. Long battery, fast general usage power and very very portable.

If you have the budget (and want to spend it all) I would recommend the 11" MBA with student discount prices. Or the 13" MBA for an extra £50.
Reply 18
ive learnt something new :smile: thank you. Ill have a browse round and see what is about.
Reply 19
As far as Ultrabooks go, the best "bang for buck" is the HP Folio 13 at £650. It was available for £630 at the HP student discount store + had an extra years warranty for free, but it's out of stock there atm.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending