The Student Room Group

help!

when considering what a levels to take, basically i've always been split between what i should do at uni, as i have an interest in medicine as i enjoy the science behind it and it's greatly satisfying to help people improve their lives. however, i don't like the fact that it is so stressful, and requires a high amount of commitment [6 years of uni? ouch] and the fact that after that, the earnings potential still isn't that good, and the fact that work hours make it near impossible to have a life outside of being a doctor. i also have an interest in economics and finance, and enjoy the idea of working for a large company, or in the city, or both, so i want to do economics as well. as a result, im taking maths, f maths, bio chem and may do econ too. so my questions are:

-which should i choose from? should i not take bio and gear up for econ at uni or should i not do econ a level and just go for medicine?
- if i try to do both, should i do 5 a levels at AS? bearing in mind, that my school only allows 4 as we have to do a 5th 'enrichment' option [eg epq or critical thinking etc] so i would have to do one outside of school [i am either thinking of doing f maths or econ outside of school]
I would recommend not doing five. I started year 12 doing maths, f maths, biology, history, music, and eng lit, but it was wayyy too much, and i dropped f maths and then english lit. It's much better to have fewer subjects that you do better in., and you won't die of stress so much!
I think it's unlikely that you'll need economics to go into economics and finance, especially if you do maths and further maths which should be more than sufficient.
for medicine it would be more useful to do biology. Although not absolutely essential like chemistry, it is a good one to have.
I'd say do maths, f maths, biol and chem, and then you'll only have to decide what kind of course to apply for as you approach the end of year 12 so you have more time to go on open days and work experience and stuff :smile: If you do an epq for your enrichment you can always focus it on something to do with economics.
Reply 2
Ok, say ido those 4 a levels, then would i be at a disadvantage to someone who took maths f maths phys and econ for example, just considering the a levels of the two of us?
Also, pardon me if this is a stupid question, but is 5 AS really more work than 13 gcses?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
bump
Why can't you do bio, chem, maths and economics?
Original post by oyyoyy
Ok, say ido those 4 a levels, then would i be at a disadvantage to someone who took maths f maths phys and econ for example, just considering the a levels of the two of us?
Also, pardon me if this is a stupid question, but is 5 AS really more work than 13 gcses?

Well 13 GCSEs certainly does sound like a lot of work! but 5 AS levels probably will be too...
Someone doing maths f maths phys and econ couldn't do medicine, and to do economics you only need A level maths, so no you wouldn't necessarily be disadvantaged, as long as you do well in the subjects that you've chosen. The grade you get is far more important than the subjects you do (other than the one subject necessary for your course, which would be chem + another science for medicine and maths for a finance/economics course)

Quick Reply

Latest