The Student Room Group

Any CSSD or Wimbledon costume construction people?

I am very late in applying, just sent off my UCAS today because I didn't know going back to uni was a possibility for me until last week.

Anyway, these are the two courses I've applied for, they both still have maybe 1 or 2 places so I'm now bricking it waiting to see if 1. either of them will give me an interview and 2. whether I will get a place if I do get an interview!

I'm a mature student so hopefully that will be a good thing in their eyes, depending on how many mature students they already have.

So, anyone any experience of the interviews for these places? I've seen a little about CSSD but not so much about Wimbledon.

I'm excited and terrified!
I'm a 2nd year Stage Management student at CSSD who lives with 2 2nd year costume construction students so can let you know about what they do if you like.

The interview process is the same for all of the Theatre Practice courses though so I have been through that personally. If invited to interview you will have to make sure you have a portfolio of work (which is significantly easier for you craft people who have tangible evidence to show!) As well as showing what you've made, etc. it should also include some items showing your interest in theatre and other related subjects. For example, 1 of my flatmates has a foundation degree in art so included her photography and artwork as well as sketches and costume makes. As well as the portfolio you will be asked to write a short essay about a show you've seen and to bring some items which are used on the day as part of a group installation project. The day consists of being in groups to get everyone relaxed as the items become a mini installation, which is then followed by a tour of the school before the interviews.

Regarding being an older student, depending how old you are there are certainly plenty of mature students for such a small school (around 800 students including actors, MAs, PHDs, etc.) In fact the current second year costume class of around 10 students has most of them in their 20's when the course started. You'll find that a lot of people are a bit older as they have spent a few years gaining skills and experience or have only discovered an interest I'm the industry having tried something else.

Let me know if you have any more CSSD questions, and I hope I've helped.
That's brilliantly helpful. Portfolio is all sorted for the most part, as I started a construction course but had to withdraw so I have 6 months of work to thrust at them!

I'm 30, so not ancient but definitely ancient to a school leaver. Last course I was on was a real mix of ages which is actually very good, you get all different perspectives.

Haven't seen any shows for a while, been a bit too poor, will have to trawl the recesses of my mind for the essay.

I do wonder though, if they'll do it a bit differently as they may not have large groups of people left to interview this late on, I shall have to wait and see I suppose, need them to want to interview me to begin with!

Quick Reply

Latest