The Student Room Group

Economics or Law

I am considering either studying Economics or Law.
At the moment I am not yet sure if I want to do a job related to economics or law.

Which of the two degrees will give me the best opportunities to get into law or economics jobs. Is it easier to get into a legal profession with an economics degree and a conversion course or to get into an economics related job with a law degree.
Reply 1
I have a very similar problem.
I'm really enjoying my Economics A level and really want to take it further. I'm thinking about going into commercial law as a solicitor. I'm not sure, however, if I can handle the level of Maths required for a full Economics degree - currently I only have a GCSE A grade in Maths.

So I've been looking into Law with Economics - combined courses. With the exception of SOAS and QMC, no really good Unis do it. This is a little surprising, as one would have thought this was a really powerful combo (?).

So I'm stumped, really.
Many jobs which are 'typical' for economists, aren't particularly easy for lawyers to gain entry to because Law lacks the quantitative aspect.

Law with Economics doesn't strike me as a particularly useful combination because there are surprisingly few synergies between the two subjects. The theoretical underpinnings of the two have virtually no-link and it is via politics for example, that they meet.
Ryands
I have a very similar problem.
I'm really enjoying my Economics A level and really want to take it further. I'm thinking about going into commercial law as a solicitor. I'm not sure, however, if I can handle the level of Maths required for a full Economics degree - currently I only have a GCSE A grade in Maths.

So I've been looking into Law with Economics - combined courses. With the exception of SOAS and QMC, no really good Unis do it. This is a little surprising, as one would have thought this was a really powerful combo (?).

So I'm stumped, really.

Leicester and Edinburgh are two other reasonable unis doing combined honours.
Reply 4
digitalparadox
Leicester and Edinburgh are two other reasonable unis doing combined honours.

Thanks for the help. Any thoughts on why more Unis don't offer the course?

President_Ben
Many jobs which are 'typical' for economists, aren't particularly easy for lawyers to gain entry to because Law lacks the quantitative aspect.

Law with Economics doesn't strike me as a particularly useful combination because there are surprisingly few synergies between the two subjects. The theoretical underpinnings of the two have virtually no-link and it is via politics for example, that they meet.

What would you suggest to be a more useful course for a career in commercial law then? A pure LLB? Or something else with a conversion?

Thanks, Ryan.
Just straight Law. Economics and Commercial Law have little link.

(I do Economics at UCL, my brother did Law at LSE - the things are wildly different, even when he did a module in the Economics of Law, it didn't relate)
Reply 6
so would you say it is easier for an econmist with a conversion course to gain access to a law job than the other way round?
IYIxPx
so would you say it is easier for an econmist with a conversion course to gain access to a law job than the other way round?

An age old debate, for which there is no real conclusion.

Latest