The Student Room Group

EPQ or 4th AS?

Hi,
I know that there are loads of EPQ threads out there and I've trawled through a good amount of them but haven't found anything that answers my situation exactly so...

I've just sat my AS levels exams (biology, chemistry, maths, physics and further maths) and want to do medicine. Next year (A2) I'm definitely doing maths, biology and chemistry. My school doesn't let you do do a 4th A2 and an EPQ so I have to choose one.

So, I can either do physics A2 or an EPQ (definitely NOT doing further maths A2!).
Which do you think I should do?
Thanks, I'm really stuck!
Reply 1
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
i second the EPQ (every one respects it; certainly better than general studies)
Reply 3
Original post by Hobo389
You don't need a fourth A2 to get into medicine, nor an EPQ, the places that you apply to will simply not be that interested in it. Having said that, the EPQ allows you to explore somewhere within medicine that Physics A2 will not, so it is worth doing. Plus it's the easier option of the two.

Yeah, thanks, I see what you mean. I just want to make my application stand out from the masses. So you think an EPQ will achieve this more than a 4th A2?
Reply 4
An EPQ gives you a lot to talk about in your interviews, as someone said earlier a 4th subject isn't needed at all. I did an EPQ, enjoyed every minute of it :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by willoram
An EPQ gives you a lot to talk about in your interviews, as someone said earlier a 4th subject isn't needed at all. I did an EPQ, enjoyed every minute of it :smile:

Did you apply for medicine? They say it takes approximately 3hours a week of time to do the EPQ, is this an exaggeration or accurate?

Thanks for all your help guys!
Reply 6
I applied for Engineering, my first Cambridge interview was based around what I had done in my EPQ. 3 hours sounds good, it might be more if you are doing a project based around research. I opted for the artefact because my essay skills are, well, awful.

If you have any other questions PM me :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest