The Student Room Group

I want to resit but they advice me not to...

Well, I got a U in my Biology in Unit 4 and I want to resit it this summer but my two teachers advice me not to do it again...because it is a long module and it might affect my two modules (Unit 5 and 7). But I really want to resit it because I only got an E in my AS and I want to improve my grade but also I am worried that I might failed Unit 5 and 7 if I resit Unit 4.. I got an E in AS because I failed Unit 1..so I want to resit Unit 1 and 4 but they told me to just resit Unit 1 and not 4 (because it is really long module) and they told me it is best to resit only one unit this summer and make it a really good grade (like an A)instead of resitting two units and getting just a pas(e.g.: E) What do you think? Do I follow their advice or still stick to my decision? I already asked them twice about this and they said just resit Unit 1.. I dunno what to do know.. Am I be able to get a C (overall) if I only got E in my AS and failed Unit 4 (and not going to resit it) but will resit Unit 1 and I'm going to do Unit 5 and 7 as well. Has anyone experienced this before? *confused* :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Um...I think you shold resit unit 4.
Reply 2
bio 4 is really a long module. my lecturer is also advising all of us not to resit that paper. but it really depends on you. consider the time factor.
Reply 3
What syllabus are you doing? Is you summer module synoptic?
You should be allowed to resit regardless of what they say. In the summer i'm doing 3,4,5,8+synoptic :p:
Reply 5
alispam
What syllabus are you doing? Is you summer module synoptic?

AQA-B... I think Unit 5 and 7 has synoptic in it.
Reply 6
Then i would resit, because you're going to have to know the synoptic stuff anyway, its worth another try, no offence but you can't get much worse than a U so its easy to go up...
Reply 7
alispam
Then i would resit, because you're going to have to know the synoptic stuff anyway, its worth another try, no offence but you can't get much worse than a U so its easy to go up...

yeah I really want to resit it but also worried that it might affect some of my modules in the summer because Module4 is really long and I need to revise loads of stuff.. and I am not sure if Module 4 is included in the Synoptic..
I don't do biology, so I don't know anything about the different modules and how long/difficult they are, but assuming units 1 and 4 are worth the same and you only resit one of them, wouldn't you have more chance of improving on unit 1 because the AS modules are easier? From what you've said, it would also be slightly less work than unit 4, so you'd have more time for your other 2 modules. If unit 4 is worth more though, it'd be best to resit that instead. Saying that, if you want to resit both and you think you can handle the workload, go for it. It's your decision. As for whether you can still get a C overall with an E at AS, you can, but you'll need a B at A2, and without meaning to sound harsh, it seems quite unlikely that you'll improve by 3 grades by only resitting 1 or 2 modules, especially as A2 is harder.
paperheart
yeah I really want to resit it but also worried that it might affect some of my modules in the summer because Module4 is really long and I need to revise loads of stuff.. and I am not sure if Module 4 is included in the Synoptic..

I do AQA B too, module 4 does have a bit of synoptic stuff but not much. In module 5 and your option module nearly every question will have synoptic stuff in it.
Are your teachers organising revision classes for module 4 and other resits? A lot of people did really badly at my college so they're making us come in for a few hours of revision. If your college does this then there's no reason why you can't cover it all again. It's not that big really.
You got a U and they telling you not to resit it ....wat b*llsh*t!

Actually its more or less up to you...and one bif factor which you may wana check out...if when each module is...and your other subject modules...coz you can plan out your module 4 revision...and concentrate a bit more on it...
This is bullsh*t, DO NOT LISTEN TO YOUR TEACHERS! My stupid ass teachers said I shouldn't resit, they said a C in AS biology is good and there is no point of resitting. I resat and got an A. Sorry for the foul language but I just hate it when teachers mess around with people's futures. This is your last chance, so I'd take if I were you, otherwise you will regret it later on.

The school also restricted me to 3 re-sits, therefore I went private, and guess what, another A (in maths). This wouldn't of happened if I had obbeyed to the school rules.

Edit: how big can an A2 unit be? Just take every chance you get, then you'll have no regrets
Reply 12
I think you should re-sit.
In the olden days (!) when I first did my A-Levels, back in 1991, you did 2 years of work with all the exams at the end in June. Most subjects were 2 or 3 3hr papers! I know plenty of people that got A's. What you would be revising isn't 2 whole years worth of work, so I think you could feasably do it. After all, pre 2000, everyone was revising the whole lot to sit in June. If you wanted to resit you had to wait until the following June.
I say go for it. If you really want to improve on your grades, make sure you do plenty of revision and if you don't understand anything, arrange to see your tutor to go over it until you do understand it.
Reply 13
Don't listen to teachers, it's your future not theirs and at the end of the day you know what you're capable of and if you think that you can do better then you should resit. I would definitely resit if it were me. I'm actually sitting a German module for a third time in the summer and it's my last chance to actually prove I can do it. It's going to be hard work what with having to study for other modules but it will be worth it.
I would say take it it, but choose to focus on some of the tests not all. Try to prepare for them all but make sure you can get really good grades in 1.
I'd resit if I were you...
Reply 16
put in to resit. as the highest mark goes forward, you can decide later if to study for it at the expence of your other 2 modules.
Reply 17
Mustard-man
This is bullsh*t, DO NOT LISTEN TO YOUR TEACHERS! My stupid ass teachers said I shouldn't resit, they said a C in AS biology is good and there is no point of resitting. I resat and got an A. Sorry for the foul language but I just hate it when teachers mess around with people's futures. This is your last chance, so I'd take if I were you, otherwise you will regret it later on.

The school also restricted me to 3 re-sits, therefore I went private, and guess what, another A (in maths). This wouldn't of happened if I had obbeyed to the school rules.

Edit: how big can an A2 unit be? Just take every chance you get, then you'll have no regrets

Word!
I got CDCB at AS for bio, chem, physics and maths in that order, and was told profusely NOT to resit... i redid them and got AABB... Screw them... the only reason many of them teach is because they *****ed up at uni.

Even though i did AS retakes and that A2 will be harder, the moral is that if you are willing to put the work in and you do what you feel is right, anything is possible.

The Best of Luck!! :biggrin:
Don't resit! Unit 4 is a beast of a module, it could drag everything down! Why not concentrate on your other units and get good marks?
w00tt
Word!
I got CDCB at AS for bio, chem, physics and maths in that order, and was told profusely NOT to resit... i redid them and got AABB... Screw them... the only reason many of them teach is because they *****ed up at uni.

Even though i did AS retakes and that A2 will be harder, the moral is that if you are willing to put the work in and you do what you feel is right, anything is possible.

The Best of Luck!! :biggrin:

daim right!!! I'm glad you agree with me

Latest