Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

What to do Over Summer-Before doing Maths at University

Announcements Posted on
Are you at uni? Can you help prospective students with their questions? We're looking for uni forum assistants 19-11-2014
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    I will be going to university after the summer (Oxford if I get the grades) and was wondering if there was anything useful I could do over the summer. I plan to keep doing STEP questions daily (partly because I want to keep my maths skills sharp, but mostly because I think they are great fun to do) and have a couple of book I will read. Can anybody who is doing maths at unviersity give me any advice? What did you do/what would have been useful to do?

I plan to try to learn some basic programming, any recomendations for where to start with this and what languege would be most useful?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james22)
    I will be going to university after the summer (Oxford if I get the grades) and was wondering if there was anything useful I could do over the summer. I plan to keep doing STEP questions daily (partly because I want to keep my maths skills sharp, but mostly because I think they are great fun to do) and have a couple of book I will read. Can anybody who is doing maths at unviersity give me any advice? What did you do/what would have been useful to do?

I plan to try to learn some basic programming, any recomendations for where to start with this and what languege would be most useful?
    (a) You could have a go at some of the more challenging problems at

https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/prospecti...ctice-problems

You may well be set these anyway as summer work by your tutor.

(b) You could read the Department's Study Guide available at

https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/system/fi...de/index.shtml

or look into some preparatory reading for the course:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Introductory...0189048&sr=8-1

for the pure or

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mathematical...5&sr=1-1-fkmr1

for the applied.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RichE)
    Are there any particular areas that you feel are not taught properly/emphasised enough at a level?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben-smith)
    Are there any particular areas that you feel are not taught properly/emphasised enough at a level?
    The obvious choice is rigorous proof, but I think your future Cambridge tutors are best placed to say what will help with the step up to their course. More nebulously, the lack of coherence in the a-level syllabus, its bittiness and failure to present the "larger picture" of mathematics and inter-disciplinary connections is another big problem.

In fact the latter is more of a failure from an a-level point of view as proof has only ever really played a relatively small part of the syllabus, even going back some years.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Some Maths
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would advise that you don't overthink this and try to work out a perfect program or anything. Just read and do anything that you find fun. The best thing would just be to take a break from being in work mode and arrive fresh in September ready to crack on.

A summer really isn't that long - you don't need to keep fresh. I worked every summer during my undergrad and was working for a few months in between finishing my Masters and starting my PhD and did pretty much no maths and I don't think I suffered too badly for want of sharpness - that will always return pretty quickly after a break.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james22)

Learn C++ (yes I'm biased because that's what I use). Some people may tell you it's too complicated for beginners but I don't think that's true

It may also be worth finding out whether oxford use a particular language and learning that/something similar
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Interesting thread. I was wondering similar things too. Have not done any proper maths outside a-levels in ages other than the casual question or so, which is a big shame. Might try the step 2012 papers timed.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 23, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.