The Student Room Group

Insight to Psychology & extra reading?

Hi - I would like to study psychology at uni, in year 12 atm.

I would like to know if there are any lectures/talks i can attend to be able to get an insight into the topics and debates in and around psychology. I believe that the london South Bank university offers lectures there - if anyone has attended?

Any book recomendations - i was recommended to read 'opening the skinners box' which is written about psychological experiments said to hopefully cover a range of the topics studied.

Overall.. i am looking for someone that could provide me with any insight into what they have done to better their knowledge and how they have done the extra reading required for this subject!
Many thanks!! :smile:
Go on ItunesU (itunes store) and there will be far better lectures than South Bank ones on many many topics (plus they're all free). Just read something that interests you, and to get "insight" you don't necessarily need to read about the "debates". Anything from blogs/books/textbooks/lectures are good, just do what you want... there isn't a special medium/book which can be consumed which will get you into uni...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Hi the BPS (British Psychological Society) have lectures once a year designed for A level and undergrad students, I think it's called psychology4students, the BPS also has a student section which has a one day conference once a year it's worth signing up with them.

People like the RSA, Royal Institute and Intelligence Squared all have really good public talks, not all psychology based but check out the websites.

Once you start your degree you will be expected to read journals in the different areas so you could have a flick through them, don't worry if you don't understand them all! I would also recommend buying Andy Fields statistics book and getting a head start on that as that's the bit most people find the hardest!

Good luck and enjoy!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 3
I gained a lot of knowledge from UC Berkeley uni's online lectures: http://webcast.berkeley.edu/ They do everything from clinical psychology to perception and neuroscience.

In terms of books, feel free to read Oliver Sacks, but just don't put it on your PS as it's way overused. Skinner is a good read, his books are often quite short and easy to understand. The best advice I can give you is don't read with the assumption that they're right. Challenge their views, make notes and criticise their theory or methodology. This will become a vital part of your PS and is great skill for when it comes to your degree.

Quick Reply

Latest