Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Conditional offer help! UCAS POINTS SYSTEM...

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Helloo

I've happily gained a conditional offer from my favourite UNI (yay)

However I'm a tad confused on what the UNI is asking for...
    "This offer is subject to you obtaining

Obtain a minimum 260 points to include at least two Level 3

qualifications from A Levels; BTEC National Award; AVCE or

any one of the following: BTEC National Certificate or

Diploma; CACHE Diploma; or A2 Double Award. Please note: All"

Does this include any of my AS levels, like the subject that I chose to drop?

Thankful for any help !
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's an interesting question, because although A-levels are 'level 3', I can't find any information on AS grades... But GCSEs and the such are 'level 2'.

It does sound like they want 2 A-levels though. It'd probably be a lot safer just to contact them. Check the course requirements too, as it might say if they accept AS levels. Generally though, they don't. They'll either say '260 points from subjects' or '260 points from A levels'. This sounds like the latter.

But you'll never know unless you contact them. Hell, try making an offer with them. I was able to get my firm choice to consider me with 3 A levels and an AS, even though they want that AS as an A-level, and the other university made me an offer with an A-level, and I was able to ask if I could just achieve a AS level of similar UCAS tariff instead. Both worked.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    260 UCAS points basically means you require BCC or any grades equivalent. With AS levels, say you acheived an A, you will get 60 UCAS points for that. If you got an A in A level (A2) it would be double the AS score for A; so 2x60=120. So it would include any relevant AS grades if you passed them.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyEddy)
    It's an interesting question, because although A-levels are 'level 3', I can't find any information on AS grades... But GCSEs and the such are 'level 2'.

It does sound like they want 2 A-levels though. It'd probably be a lot safer just to contact them. Check the course requirements too, as it might say if they accept AS levels. Generally though, they don't. They'll either say '260 points from subjects' or '260 points from A levels'. This sounds like the latter.

But you'll never know unless you contact them. Hell, try making an offer with them. I was able to get my firm choice to consider me with 3 A levels and an AS, even though they want that AS as an A-level, and the other university made me an offer with an A-level, and I was able to ask if I could just achieve a AS level of similar UCAS tariff instead. Both worked.
    Thank you, that was a really helpful answer! I'm taking 3 A-levels anyway, just I wanted the backup of my AS just to reassure me for those final points haha! I think I will ring up and check with them, just to be on the safe side, maybe they'll even make me a deal like you ! Thanks again :cool:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    you said is very good.
    • 37 followers

ReputationRep:
    AS grades ate worth half of what the A2 is, so A2 b = 100 so as b = 50 (only count as points if dropped, you don't add as and a2 together so if you get a b in both you don't get 150 you get 100

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 25, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.