The Student Room Group

Interview/Assessment at Boots

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jin3011
Hi, did you get an update on the job from the employer?

Yeah they rang me yesterday, I got the job!! :biggrin:
Original post by pinkhighlighter6
Yeah they rang me yesterday, I got the job!! :biggrin:

Well done! :biggrin:
So you weren't asked any questions whatsoever despite what the interview email said? If so, you lucky highlighter:tongue: ! Wish they don't grill me on mine!
Had my interview today.

Got asked:
Why do you want this job?
Describe a time when you inspired confidence in your team
How would you act and what would you do to make a customer feel valued?
Describe a time you made a mistake and how did you learn from it
Name one item that you have bought in the past, and how did you persuade someone else to buy it?

We then went onto the shop floor and the manager took me to the haircare section and asked me what I would do if a teenage girl needed some help about making her hair shiny? how would you approach her? and how do you want her to feel? What questions would you ask her?

Describe how you would advise a woman whose current shampoo is making her hair dry? What products or advice would you recommend?

We then went around to find some customers to talk to and luckily I was approached by a lady who wanted some help with working out which item combination would be cheaper overall with the 2 for 2 offer - the manager said I handled myself really well.

I was then asked to approach a random customer and ask if they needed any help which I feel I did really well.

Whilst walking around she asked me how I would identify a confident and an unconfident customer - who would want to help the most and why? and describe what types of behaviors you would expect to see with both types of customers.

Which area of the store would you feel a bit hesitant to approach customers and why? - I mentioned the female hygiene and family planning area. She then asked "so would you not help customers who needed help in these areas". I just responded by saying that I personally don't know much about female hygiene products myself so I would refer them to a female colleague. She seemed happy about my answer.

I was then taken to a slightly untidy isle and asked to identify any suggestions in order to make the isle look more presentable. She then asked, what would you do if you had 15 minutes of spare time? and what would you do with the isle if the shop was quiet and you had an hour or two to spare? She then left me for 5 minutes to tidy the isle whilst she photocopied my passport. She them came back and asked what changes I made and why? And how would your changes affect the customers?

The manager was going to ask me to try to promote a No7 hand-cream to customers but she was really nice and said she'll just skip that step.

Personally, I feel the interview went very well. But the manager did express concerns at the end due to the fact that it was a permanent job and that I was going to go back to university in September. She said she would have to speak to her team first in order to discuss the situation further. There had been interviews the entire week and she had one more lady left to interview - so on the basis of my avialibility I don't think I'll get the job.

They'll eMail me tomorrow to let me know. However, I am expecting the worst so it won't really dissapoint me if I get rejected. I'm just happy I performed well in the interview.

For anyone who has an upcoming interview, as long as you have suggestions, are approachable, talkative and you know how to smile, you'll be fine! It was honestly the most fun interview I've had!
Original post by Jin3011
Had my interview today.

Got asked:
Name one item that you have bought in the past, and how did you persuade someone else to buy it?

We then went onto the shop floor and the manager took me to the haircare section and asked me what I would do if a teenage girl needed some help about making her hair shiny? how would you approach her? and how do you want her to feel? What questions would you ask her?

Describe how you would advise a woman whose current shampoo is making her hair dry? What products or advice would you recommend?

We then went around to find some customers to talk to and luckily I was approached by a lady who wanted some help with working out which item combination would be cheaper overall with the 2 for 2 offer - the manager said I handled myself really well.

I was then asked to approach a random customer and ask if they needed any help which I feel I did really well.

Whilst walking around she asked me how I would identify a confident and an unconfident customer - who would want to help the most and why? and describe what types of behaviors you would expect to see with both types of customers.

Which area of the store would you feel a bit hesitant to approach customers and why? - I mentioned the female hygiene and family planning area. She then asked "so would you not help customers who needed help in these areas". I just responded by saying that I personally don't know much about female hygiene products myself so I would refer them to a female colleague. She seemed happy about my answer.

I was then taken to a slightly untidy isle and asked to identify any suggestions in order to make the isle look more presentable. She then asked, what would you do if you had 15 minutes of spare time? and what would you do with the isle if the shop was quiet and you had an hour or two to spare? She then left me for 5 minutes to tidy the isle whilst she photocopied my passport. She them came back and asked what changes I made and why? And how would your changes affect the customers?

The manager was going to ask me to try to promote a No7 hand-cream to customers but she was really nice and said she'll just skip that step.

Personally, I feel the interview went very well. But the manager did express concerns at the end due to the fact that it was a permanent job and that I was going to go back to university in September. She said she would have to speak to her team first in order to discuss the situation further. There had been interviews the entire week and she had one more lady left to interview - so on the basis of my avialibility I don't think I'll get the job.

They'll eMail me tomorrow to let me know. However, I am expecting the worst so it won't really dissapoint me if I get rejected. I'm just happy I performed well in the interview.

For anyone who has an upcoming interview, as long as you have suggestions, are approachable, talkative and you know how to smile, you'll be fine! It was honestly the most fun interview I've had!

I can't believe mine only lasted 10 mins maximum! Was so prepared to have an hour long interview like yours and was quite disappointed :frown: oh well haha
Reply 64
I can't believe mine only lasted 10 mins maximum! Was so prepared to have an hour long interview like yours and was quite disappointed :frown: oh well haha

iv got my interview tuesday and i am very nurvous where did you have your interview and for what position im going for trainee optical assistant
Reply 65
Original post by Jin3011
Had my interview today.

Got asked:

what position did you apply for?
Original post by kimb2k10
iv got my interview tuesday and i am very nurvous where did you have your interview and for what position im going for trainee optical assistant

At my local store, it's only relatively small though. I'm now a customer assistant yay :biggrin: my biggest piece of advice would be to try your hardest not to worry or be nervous and try to appear confident and pleasant, because then you're more likely to answer questions well and potentially get the job. Also, make sure you know little bits of info about the company eg. About the advantage card system so that you can drop in little bits of knowledge and show your interviewer that you know your stuff and are committed! Good luck though I'm sure you'll ace the interview :smile:
Original post by kimb2k10
what position did you apply for?

Hey Kim!
I applied for a customer assistant position. She said the role was very flexible and since I was doing Pharmacy she would also see if she could get me some work within the dispensary area too which I thought was good. But it all depends on whether they can overlook my limited availability.

I also agree with PinkHighlighter. As long as you're confident, knowledgeable and can show that you care for the customers then you will do absolutely fine. I went into the store absolutely terrified, and had to wait 10 minutes because the manager was slightly busy. But once you get into the hang of things, it's plane-sailing from there-on.

I think the interviews for optical assistant may be slightly different with regards to in store scenarios, but the principles are the same.

Good luck in your interview! And I'll keep you all posted about my situation :smile:.

***Just an update. I wasn't able to get the job. Guess it was my fault for applying for a permanent position :P. But it was good experience nonetheless.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 68
Guys!

Got my interview tomorrow morning for the Beauty Advisor Position.

Any last minute tips/advice?

Cheeeers!
I had an interview at my local boots yesterday and despite the fact that the interview was supposed to last for an hour, it took about 10 minutes and I was asked none of the hypothetical questions or to do shop floor activities that I have read about/expecting. Do you think this means I haven't got the job at all? He explained all of the training process to me and told me when it would be if I were successful but I will only find out if I have the job tomorrow :frown: I feel so disheartened

I hope you got the job!!!
I have my interview for customer assistant soon, anyone have any tips? Thank you !
I just completed the online assessment earlier tonight. How long did it take for them to get back to you?
Original post by msclaireypants
I hope you got the job!!!

I did!! Thank you :smile:
Original post by DriftingDancer
I just completed the online assessment earlier tonight. How long did it take for them to get back to you?

I can't remember exactly but it took quite a while, maybe 1-2 weeks? Good luck!
Original post by VanessaXD
I have my interview for customer assistant soon, anyone have any tips? Thank you !

Be really enthusiastic, make it clear that you're pleasant and approachable, a dedicated worker and also it helps to know a little bit about the brand eg. Advantage card system and a bit of history, other than that just be confident and be yourself :smile: best of luck to you!
Original post by shh!
Guys!

Got my interview tomorrow morning for the Beauty Advisor Position.

Any last minute tips/advice?

Cheeeers!

Just be confident and pleasant, I think if you've got that sorted then you'll perform much better in your interview :smile: good luck!
Be really enthusiastic, make it clear that you're pleasant and approachable, a dedicated worker and also it helps to know a little bit about the brand eg. Advantage card system and a bit of history, other than that just be confident and be yourself :smile: best of luck to you!

Thank you ! what exactly is the advantage card system how does it work?
I
Original post by VanessaXD
Thank you ! what exactly is the advantage card system how does it work?
I

If you go on the boots website there'll be an explanation there! Basically it's a rewards card to attract customers loyalty to the company and for every pound you spend in store, you get 4 points on your card which can then add up to be spent in store :smile:
If you go on the boots website there'll be an explanation there! Basically it's a rewards card to attract customers loyalty to the company and for every pound you spend in store, you get 4 points on your card which can then add up to be spent in store :smile:

Thanks :smile: I still have a few days to prepare hopefully I get it I would love to work there !
Just got an interview at a different store now. It's permanent as well but I'll just go for the experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending