The Student Room Group

Should I kick my driving instructor to the kerb?!:P

Hi there! *royal wave*

No, seriously thanks for looking.

Today I had my 7th lesson with my driving instructor & he really tested my patience
1. He takes phone calls during my lessons.
2. He even once left the car to talk to someone to book a lesson with them - NOT ON MY WATCH!
3. He huffs and puffs when I get something wrong.. I've had trouble with the clutch:frown:
4. Im not sure if this applies to ALL instructors but he drives somewhere which is 15-20 minutes away (I get that as a beginner i need to drive on quiet roads but 20 minutes!!) therefore my 2hr lesson is actually only 1hr 20 minutes if I'm lucky & he's not late like today..
5. He once told me to pull up so he could put the radio on! Douche.

Reluctant to find another instructor as obviously it'll delay my progress..

Thanks again... Your opinion is welcome:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

My first instructor was really ****ty, but I didn't realise it at the time. This guy sounds worse. Get shot of him.
Reply 2
Erm..I think you should kick your driving instructor to the kirb.
Reply 3

Why stop at kicking him? Run the ****er down!!!
Fire him! It's your money, and you shouldn't feel guilty. You deserve to get the service you pay for. I'd even complain to the company, if he's employed by a firm!

Seriously, get a new instructor. Maybe ask some friends for a recommendation. If they're any good, you can tell them where you're up to with regards to your progress, and they can go from there rather than starting from scratch.

Get what you pay for!
Wow, get rid of him and tell him if need be.

Some horror stories I hear on here makes me really appreciate my driving instructor!
Reply 6
Yes, go for it. I changed instructor for similar reasons and it worked out well for me. I got a much better instructor.
Reply 7
Why would you be worried about a delay in progress? Sounds like it's already affecting your progress if you're not getting all the time in your lesson or don't feel comfortable or annoyed. Just find a new one.
Reply 8
Although I'm merely echoing all the other posts, yes, you should get a new instructor. There is no doubt.
Original post by HoldThatThought
Hi there! *royal wave*

Today I had my 7th lesson with my driving instructor & he really tested my patience; this is coming from someone who works with kids!

2. He even once left the car to talk to someone to book a lesson with them - NOT ON MY WATCH!
3. He huffs and puffs when I get something wrong.. I've had trouble with the clutch:frown:
4. Im not sure if this applies to ALL instructors but he drives somewhere which is 15-20 minutes away (I get that as a beginner i need to drive on quiet roads but 20 minutes!!) therefore my 2hr lesson is actually only 1hr 20 minutes if I'm lucky & he's not late like today..

1. Mine took phone calls on lessons but always tried to be quick. They're actually not a bad thing, they teach you to fend for yourself for a few minutes (that's essential in the test).
2. Seems quite rude.
3. Instructors need to be patient and understanding. Mine was always trying to boost my confidence and stop me from getting annoyed when I got it wrong, and I think that's the best type of instructor.
4. I live in a rural area so I needed to drive 15 minutes to get into a town to learn (so I increased my lessons so I'd have an hour). If you live in a rural area/away from test routes, you can't really avoid this. If you don't, he's being silly.
5. Oh. Rude again.

I'd find another instructor. Just say to him you want to take a break from driving then find another one. That way he won't get offended when you don't book another lesson and you'll still progress :tongue: a white lie won't hurt him!
Original post by snailsareslimy
1. Mine took phone calls on lessons but always tried to be quick. They're actually not a bad thing, they teach you to fend for yourself for a few minutes (that's essential in the test).
2. Seems quite rude.
3. Instructors need to be patient and understanding. Mine was always trying to boost my confidence and stop me from getting annoyed when I got it wrong, and I think that's the best type of instructor.
4. I live in a rural area so I needed to drive 15 minutes to get into a town to learn (so I increased my lessons so I'd have an hour). If you live in a rural area/away from test routes, you can't really avoid this. If you don't, he's being silly.
5. Oh. Rude again.

I'd find another instructor. Just say to him you want to take a break from driving then find another one. That way he won't get offended when you don't book another lesson and you'll still progress :tongue: a white lie won't hurt him!

I live in London .. I'm sure there's closer places for where he could do my lessons?
The only stupid thing I'm thinking about is booking with a new instructor and him taking me to the same place my current instructor takes me & me seeing him there. imagine. I shouldn't care. My money at the end of the day.
I didn't really mind the phone calls until today when he was on the phone for a good 10 minutes trying to convince someone to book with him.
Original post by yakuzakitty
Fire him! It's your money, and you shouldn't feel guilty. You deserve to get the service you pay for. I'd even complain to the company, if he's employed by a firm!

Seriously, get a new instructor. Maybe ask some friends for a recommendation. If they're any good, you can tell them where you're up to with regards to your progress, and they can go from there rather than starting from scratch.

Get what you pay for!

ha, 'fire him'.
I shouldn't feel guilty. YOU. ARE. RIGHT.

I need to boss up.
Original post by NR09

Why stop at kicking him? Run the ****er down!!!

My clutch control can be dodgy. I'd probably stall over his body. :0

messy ...
I live in London .. I'm sure there's closer places for where he could do my lessons?
The only stupid thing I'm thinking about is booking with a new instructor and him taking me to the same place my current instructor takes me & me seeing him there. imagine. I shouldn't care. My money at the end of the day.
I didn't really mind the phone calls until today when he was on the phone for a good 10 minutes trying to convince someone to book with him.

You live in London?! Okay, he has no excuse! He sounds like an idiot, I'd definitely book a different instructor, it is your money as you've said (and lessons are expensive!). If he sees you, he can't do much anyway, it's his own fault for being so unprofessional.
I think it all comes down to what you're comfortable with. If you feel like his behaviour is inappropriate, definitely think about getting a new instructor.

I've just changed instructors after having the same one for over a year (I could only have lessons when I came home from uni), and the difference it's made is huge. More than anything I've found it's given me more motivation and a renewed focus. Good luck.
Reply 15
Take advantage of the special he has and then get rid lol.

Like 5 lessons for £50 :teehee:
Original post by killa78
Take advantage of the special he has and then get rid lol.

Like 5 lessons for £50 :teehee:

5 for £50 ? :/

where'd you live where its so cheap? do tell.
I paid 5 for £80

;(
fail much?
Reply 17
Hi there! *royal wave*

Today I had my 7th lesson with my driving instructor & he really tested my patience; this is coming from someone who works with kids!

are you an American ? :getmecoat:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
Yes get rid of him. I didn't find learning to drive enjoyable, but you can get better instuctors that make it a better experience.

Don't worry about the clutch control, mine was terrible, even after seven lessons. You will get it with more practice. And once you start driving in your own car you get to practice every day for as long as you want, and you don't have the pressure of someone judging you. I hated practising with my mum too.

I was an unconfident learner, and was apprehensive about driving on my own but then I couldn't stop when I got my own car, I loved it.

So, don't let anything that happens while you learn affect your confidence as a driver, because it will be a lot different when yo have passed :smile:
Reply 19
5 for £50 ? :/

where'd you live where its so cheap? do tell.
I paid 5 for £80

;(
fail much?

That was a kind of introductory offer :tongue:
Im from near Birmingham :colondollar:

It depends tbh. I've seen some people saying they pay almost £30 per hour in London. I feel sorry for them!

You're not a fail! aha. Give yourself some credit lol

Although, I think if you're not from around London, other Cities usually have these kinds of offers.
Where are you from?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending