The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm a girl and when my mum told me she was pregnant when I was 19 I was slightly horrified. Now, I'm 21 and my baby sister isn't even 2 yet. I loved her as soon as she was born even though I was worried we wouldn't be close because of the age difference. I have a sister close in age, and it's a more 'protective' kind of love for my youngest sister even though I feel that way about them both. I worry about her a lot for no reason. I absolutely adore her and can't believe there was a time she wasn't here. It's really difficult to only be able to see her once a month or every 6 weeks, because she changes every time.
Original post by funsongfactory
I'm 17 years older than my brother and I don't find it weird, although strangers do sometimes think I'm his mum XD

I get this too! But the other way around.

Just after I was born, my brother was holding me while mum was shopping, and the checkout lady said 'oh she does love her daddy!'.

I bet that's enough to put any 18 year off from going out with his sister.

Even now, we get that a bit.

If I'm out with my brother, his wife and my nephew people assume that they're my parents and my nephew is my son! (He's 18 months at the moment, so it is possible...)
BTW, my friend was 17 when her baby sister was born. We were talking about this today. Last year in geography we had someone that was the auntie of someone else in the class!
Reply 23
Original post by jimcatinnes
Basically I my mum wants to have another child, and se asked me if I would find it weird having a brother or sister 20 years younger than me weird, I said no, because I wouldn't, but I've been thinking about it, and while I wouldn't think it weird, what would you think?

I personally think it's normal as many others have said! If you're happy and your mum is happy then who cares what others think.
My dad's oldest brother is around 20 years older...so he's more like a granddad to me because I've never had one... haha :smile:

One of my teachers who is around 40 odd, has a brother who has only just started uni.... Your little sibling will be sure to keep you young and in with the latest trends/technology when you're older! :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by Clare~Bear
I'm in that situation, but I'm the younger one.

I'm 18 and my half siblings are; 37, 41 and 43!!!!!!! We have the same dad but not the same mum. My dad's 63. The wierd thing is, my mum is only 51 which means, there's a smaller gap between her and my two brothers than her and my dad!

My friends do think it's a bit odd seeing as they're old enough to be my parents. The younger brother (41) is the same age as my friends mum! And I have several friends with grandparents the age of my dad!

They've never lived with us since I was born. I see two of them maybe once a month, they live 10-15 miles away. My other brother I only see a couple of times a year as he lives the other side of the country and works away half the year, 4 weeks at a time.

I get on with all of them and one of my brothers spoils me - the one we hardly see.

I've also already got a neice whose 25! whose got one child and another on the way!

Your parents had an accident 18 years ago. :mmm:
Well, it's always nice having a younger bro or sister, but ur age difference (u and ur sibling) is the age difference between me and my mum lol :smile:
Reply 26
Original post by ishan777
haha im 19 atm. And id LOVE to have a baby brother or sister. wouldnt it be awesomely cute? :smile:

If you think cyring, pooping and vomiting are awesomely cute then yes it would be.
I have two about 20 years younger. They're awesome. They love me!
Original post by yothi5
Your parents had an accident 18 years ago. :mmm:

I was planned. like I said, we have different mums and I'm my mums only child.
Reply 29
Original post by jimcatinnes
Basically I my mum wants to have another child, and se asked me if I would find it weird having a brother or sister 20 years younger than me weird, I said no, because I wouldn't, but I've been thinking about it, and while I wouldn't think it weird, what would you think?

Hey man I'm 20 (soon 21) and i have a baby sister, she was born when I was 19 I think.
It's not very wierd at all, only problem is it can get very tiring looking after her when all I want to do is chill or get on with my own work. I also have a brother who is 4 (and another 2 siblings aged 15 & 12)
Reply 30
I knew a girl who was in the same school year as her uncle!
Reply 31
My oldest brother is 22 years older than me, it doesn't bother me AT ALL.
It's a little annoying when people presume he's my Dad, but in all fairness I don't mind it as he's alot cooler than him :wink:

To be honest don't give a hoot about what others think. I did that all too often when people used to say stuff like 'Your parents are dead old.'.. Then I thought, well in all due respect they love me and they're together and they're not layabouts like theirs :biggrin:
xxx
My brothers are 13 16 and about 18 years older than me. I have nieces and nephews who are just a few years younger than me and it's fab. I get on really well with my brothers, I'd say the only weird thing for me is that people think my Dad is my Grandad. But it's not a problem and my Dad laughs it off. Honestly I'm really glad we have this gap - I;ve never known anything else, of course, but my brothers were always a 'go-to' when I fancied getting away from my parents haha and because we didn't suffocate each other when growing up there is a really good feeling between us.

If they're in a good position to have a child then your age gap with said child is not going to be a big deal. Hope it all works out :smile:
Reply 33
Original post by syrettd
I knew a girl who was in the same school year as her uncle!

I have a friend (17) who has a 10 year old uncle... :zomg:
I don't think it's weird at all! My eldest sister is 16 years older than me.
Reply 35
It's not weird at all - i know people with 25+ years gap between siblings - although they do generally have other sibling inbetween
Reply 36
One of my mates at school was actually younger than his nieces and nephews which was quite amusing. Basically, his older brothers and sisters were more like aunts and uncles too him. There was a generational gap - you get a slightly different sibling experience like that. The other obvious thing is that with such an age gap, the younger sibling won't grow up living with the older one which makes for quite a different dynamic. I mean, I didn't grow up with my step brothers and sisters and although I am fairly close with a couple of them - it is more like being cousins then siblings.
It's not uncommon, particularly with second marriages. However, you never really have the same sibling relationship, because you don't grow up together - there's a 15 year age gap between two siblings in my family, and whilst they get on well they're not close by any stretch of the imagination.
hey, this happened in my family... i won't go the story of it... but..

my aunty is in her 70s and she is SOOOOOOO super close with my other aunty... who must be around 50... they are so close...

there is nothing weird about it... it's not uncommon, woman having a baby when she was young, maybe in her teens... remarries and 20 years on wants another child. i know you wouldn't stand in her way but don't make it any more difficult than it is for her... i'm sure you wouldn't though
(edited 11 years ago)
Im a 20year old sister too my half brothers are 17 and 15, they are my dads children. I never growe up with them. I stayed with my mom till grade 5. Then was taken away to live with my dads mom. My mom and i were close we use to do every thing togather. We were only 18years age difrence. Then my mom moved far way from me. I only ever see her like once every 2 to 3 years. Than last year she broke a mager bom at me saying she is pregnant. I now have a new baby sister. I am not taking it well. The only thing she cares about is the baby she hardly ever awnsers my messages. And when she does its only to talk about my baby sis. I am sorry to say it but om not happy about it.
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending