Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's going on?

Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm gradually turning into an atheist. I was raised in a so-called Catholic family, although my parents have never tried to shove anything down my throat. I had religion lessons and I always felt that I believed in God, although I didn't go to the church or anything like that. In fact, I had never given it much thought until recently. I have started to see the world from a more rational perspective and I have realised that it doesn't make any sense. Religion and God seem to have always been used for people to rightfully exercise power over other people. Moreover, why is there so much misery in the world? Why are there people who have absolutely nothing, who starve and suffer every day? Are you really gonna tell me it's God's will? However, every time I face a situation in which I am really scared, I ask for protection.

What is happening to me?
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannaaahlima)
    I think I'm gradually turning into an atheist. I was raised in a so-called Catholic family, although my parents have never tried to shove anything down my throat. I had religion lessons and I always felt that I believed in God, although I didn't go to the church or anything like that. In fact, I had never given it much thought until recently. I have started to see the world from a more rational perspective and I have realised that it doesn't make any sense. Religion and God seem to have always been used for people to rightfully exercise power over other people. Moreover, why is there so much misery in the world? Why are there people who have absolutely nothing, who starve and suffer every day? Are you really gonna tell me it's God's will? However, every time I face a situation in which I am really scared, I ask for protection.

What is happening to me?
    I'm not sure of Christianities perspective of faith but in Islam, it fluctuates. You can be the most religious person one day and perhaps not as religious the next. Again, unlike Christianity Islam tends to cover pretty much everything you do so you're constantly questioning your intentions. Misery / starvation etc is infact part of God's will. Islamically, the poor will get to paradise before the rich. Also, any illness that inflicted you will decrease some of your sins.

Anyways, it's 5.10am and I've got an exam to revise for. Feel free to ask any questions and I'll answer relatively soon.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    What's going on? You said it yourself: 'I have started to see the world from a more rational perspective and I have realised that it doesn't make any sense.' Your past convictions were absorbed because they weren't challenged, now you are challenging them and you seem to have decided that they don't hold much weight. Don't be afraid of being an Atheist, it is entirely your own choice and you shouldn't feel under pressure to defend it. As for asking for protection; it may seem scary but a large part of Atheism is realising that, ultimately, you have no protector and that, more importantly, you have to make the most of what's around you in order to give your life purpose.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Due to your situation no one can really say anything to you without sounding like they're trying to proselytise you, and even if I could, it would be best to leave you to make your own decisions right now.
    Do your own research on the internet, read books, watch documentaries, etc. (make sure they are credible sources). People trying to interfere when you are at this stage will only confuse you.

However, I will address one of your concerns from my personal experience:

'However, every time I face a situation in which I am really scared, I ask for protection'.

This is only normal. I felt this way too. It's because you're SO used to having a crutch to depend on throughout your life that it's almost like second nature to you.
    Imagine you were using training wheels on your bike for 10+ years (I assume you're over 10 ). You would not know where to start if you suddenly took those extra wheels off and you'd have to grow accustomed to riding without any help.

The feeling will pass after a while and really I view it as a benefit. You grow stronger as a person and will be capable of dealing with things better. I don't see a point in ignoring my troubles and leaving it to someone that may or may not exist.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

What is happening to me?
    I'd say you probably are moving away from any specific faith into more the realm of agnosticism/atheism... been there myself actually, and it's not always an easy transition, so you might like to consider talking to a councillor/priest/whatever really if it's getting you down - incidentally you might want to go to one of the aforementioned people to ask them those questions about poverty, suffering and so on to get that religion's perspective on it.

On the second part, I think it's only natural really if you believe in God to occasionally ask for his help when we're scared or in a tough situation - again, been there myself, it's something which I think will gradually stop as you continue on your journey (if you become atheist) but which really does you no harm either way and can often be a little reassuring

Anyway, hope you find your way to something which makes you happy in your life
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Its called "growing up".
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

What is happening to me?
    Urmmmmm sorry but don't listen to 'reform' it is NOT God's will. God's will is for all men to turn to Him for salvation and He WILL provide. Poverty and misery is the fault of sin NOT God. People are so quick to blame God and ask Him to take out evil out of the world but that means He should take us out.. We've all sinned. We are all evil.

Just, forget religion and seek Jesus. This life is short, eternity is not.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i'm sure this happens to everyone who is raised in a religion - i was brought up in a catholic family, we went to church every sunday until we were 12 and then we were allowed to decide. i've gone through phases of believing and not believing but i think it's really a transition between either your childhood beilefs to not believing, or to a more mature view of religion, not based on the childish 'bearded man in the sky' view.

you'll make up your mind eventually, it's normal to think about these things.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasupercoolgeek)
    Urmmmmm sorry but don't listen to 'reform' it is NOT God's will. God's will is for all men to turn to Him for salvation and He WILL provide. Poverty and misery is the fault of sin NOT God. People are so quick to blame God and ask Him to take out evil out of the world but that means He should take us out.. We've all sinned. We are all evil.

Doesn't make sense at all. Besides, what makes them so much more evil than us that 'God' has chosen to torture and kill them early? The answer is nothing. They did nothing to deserve it.

This is why the OP is leaning away from religion. It gives no rational answers.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I won't preach, this is something you've got to figure out for yourself.

Don't listen to anyone here, in fact don't listen to anyone. We'll all have our biases.

The theists will tell you to talk to a priest/convert to another faith/ext. Atheists will tell you you're growing up.

I tell you to trust your own judgement on this matter, and keep your own council. Don't let others sway you to their way of thinking. Figure your beliefs (or lack of) out for yourself.

I don't know whether or not that is any help. On the point where you say that in times of trouble you react by asking for protection, that's natural. You are used to the idea that something will protect you, that takes time to whean off.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Your stance on religion is a deeply personal matter and whatever anyone may say - it's your choice what you believe. If you have started to see things differently and from different perspectives, then whatever you believe in the end will be stronger as a result because you'll be able to rationalize it better and you'll be more at peace with your beliefs.

It wouldn't hurt to talk to either a priest or someone with good knowledge of religion, however. Not so they can convert you or anything - more as a way to clear up any misgivings you may have about religion. If the person you ask is at least reasonably open-minded, then having such a talk or debate can help you come to more informed opinions be they in belief of a God or not.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Remember the time you found out Father Christmas wasn't real?
    Well something similar is happening again, except the consequences are far greater - You're free.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasupercoolgeek)

So those who are born into poverty are in poverty because of their sin in some sort of past life :rolleyes:

No wonder Christianity doesn't make sense to the OP. When you put it like that, it doesn't make sense to me. And I'm gonna assume that you're wrong and misinterpreting your holy book.
    (Original post by Frankie_say_relax)
    Doesn't make sense at all. Besides, what makes them so much more evil than us that 'God' has chosen to torture and kill them early? The answer is nothing. They did nothing to deserve it.

This is why the OP is leaning away from religion(Christianity). It gives no rational answers. (that can be subjective and can vary with different questions)
    Think you were being a bit general, just had to point it out.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just keep on thinking for yourself. Ignore the people that say "you're silly for leaving religion" or "religion was stupid anyway" as they aren't adding anything to the conversation at all.

You won't get any easy answers, but you'll eventually reach a decision by yourself. Which is probably the bast thing that you can ask for.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 20, 2012
New on TSR

TSR Freshers' blogs 2014

Read what TSR's freshers have to say as they head off to uni

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.